Palakkad lies near a wide low gap or pass in the Western Ghats mountain ranges that separates Kerala from Tamil Nadu. Consequently the city is a major conduit for travel between the two states. Palakkad is 4,480 km² and the population is 2,617,072.
Palakkad is the land of Palmyras and Paddy fields. It is the chief granary of Kerala, often called the Gateway of Kerala. Palakkad lies at the foot of the gigantic Western ghats on the border of Kerala. This city surrounded by mountains, forests and fertile valleys, rivers and mountains streams are rich in flora and fauna.
Malayalam is widely spoken language as the rest of Kerala. However Palakkad is close to the Tamil Nadu border and people understand and speak Tamil well. You won't be very far from a person who speaks perfect English or Hindi just in case you need one.
The nearest airport is the domestic airport at Coimbatore 50 km away. The nearest international airport is in Kochi. There are three airports in 2-3 hr travel distance (Kochi, Coimbatore and Calicut).
Palakkad is well connected and one of the railway divisional headquarters. Serviced by rail from all major cities in India like Hyderabad, Kozhikode, Mangalore, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram, Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata.
Palakkad is well connected to other cities Chennai, Kozhikode, Ooty, Palani, Kodaikanal, Kochi, Bangalore, Coimbatore, Salem and Madurai by road. National Highways NH 47 and NH 217 pass through Palakkad.
- Bus - Palakkad is well networked by public bus transport. The state runs KSRTC and many private operators operate bus services.
- Autorickshaw - This is cheap way of transportation between attractions. Rickshaw drivers are generally very polite unlike big cities of India. However, if you are a foreigner trying to get around by yourself, agree on fare before boarding.
- Taxi - Local taxis are also available at cheap rates. You will have to bargain.
- Walk - Many attractions in Palakkad like the Tippu's Fort, the Open air Auditorium called "Rapadi", the Stadiums etc are walkable.
- Agali Hills.
- Attappady. Tribal villages. 38 km Home of Irulas and Mudugars
- Brahmakumaris Yoga Center, Kalpathy., ☏ .
- 1 Chulliar Dam.
- 2 Chittur Gurumadam.
- Cholanoor Peacock Sanctury.
- Dhoni Reserve Forest. 15 km
- 3 Government Victoria College. Colonial structure.
- Guru Mandir, West Yakkara.
- Jain temple (near the Railway Station).
- 4 Kanhirapuzha Dam, muhammed karakkadan.
- Killikurrussi Mangalam.
- 5 Lakkidi.
- Mahadeva Kshetram (Kiillikkurussimangalam).
- Malampuzha Gardens, Malampuzha.15km. Spectacular garden, suspension bridge, boating facility, Japanese garden, fantasy water theme park, toy train, acquarium and cable car. Entrance 9AM to 7:30PM. Video cameras are charged ₹1,000.
- 6 Mangalam Dam.
- 7 Meenkara Dam.
- Meenvallam. waterfalls
- 8 Meenvallam Water Falls, Kalladikode.
- Museum of Musical Instruments, olavakkod Road, Palakkad.
- Nelliyampathi. 'Ooty of Kerala' hill station.
- Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary. 135 km
- 9 Pothundi Dam. with a garden and good views.
- Seetharkundu water falls (Near Nelliyampathy).
- 10 Silent Valley National Park, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 80 km. 'Evergreen forest' with many rare species. Advance reservation by telephone is needed. Please contact: Phone: +91-4924-222056, +91 4924 253225, +91 8589 895652
- 11 Sholayar Forest. Coffee and Tea estates.
- Tippu's Fort.
- 12 Walayar Dam. 25 km.
- Walayar Deer Park (Jayaprakash Narayan Smrithivanam) (beside the NH 47, 22 km from Palakkad town). You can see deer and other small animals roaming about in their natural habitat. The park is in a poor condition due to lack of investment. The park spreads over 110 acres of forest area, mainly teak plantation. There are plans to convert it into a safari park, providing more amenities for the deer and other animals and also to the visitors.
Other places around PalakkadEdit
- 13 Ayalur Temple, Ayalur (33 km from Palakkad, bus for every 30 minutes). Car festival during winter
- 14 Chulanur Peafowl Sanctuary.
- Hemambika/Emoor Bhagavathi temple and Siva Temple (near Olavakkod, 6 km from Palakkad). Bus available every 5 min from Palakkad Town Bus Stand. Board Rly Colony bus and alight at Kallekulangara bus stop.
- Kakkayur Kottamala Ayyappa Temple, Kakkayur (15 km from Palakkad). The giant walls of this temple is at least 1½ times taller than an elephant, built of stones unbelievable in size. There are no stone quarry nearby from where this has could have been taken. These stones are laid one on top of another without any sealing in between. They have been standing like that for centuries just on gravity. Also on the walls are writings in some very old language.
- Kakkayur Siva Temple, Kakkayur (15 km from Palakkad).
- Meenkulathhi Amman Temple, Pallasena (15 km from Palakkad).
- 15 Nellikulangara Temple, Nemmara (28 km from Palakkad).
- 16 Pothundy Dam (on the way to Nelliyampathy, 38 km from Palakkad). It is a reservoir built across Ayalur river as an irrigation project in 1968. It provides water to Nenmara and Ayalur villages. It is in a valley just below the Nelliyampathy Hills.
- Tripallavoor siva temple, Pallavur (20 km from Palakkad).
- Alampallam Radhotsavam. April. The biggest chariot in Kerala.
- Chinakathur Pooram. Every March-April. A spectacular festival.
- Chittur Konganpada. Usually in March. The celebrations commemorate the victory of the Chittur Nairs over the militia of nearby Konganadu during 918 AD. It is said that there was constant fight in the Palakkad region between the Kerala kingdoms on the western side and the princely state of Konganad on the eastern side of the Western Ghat mountains. On the third day of the Konganpada festival 101 rounds of the kathina vedi (ironpipe crackers) commemorates the historic victory. Later, there is a kolam procession of little boys dressed as girls carried on the shoulders of men. At night men engage in mock fights wearing buffalo head masks to symbolise the dead buffaloes of the Konganpada (Kongan militia).
- Kalpathy Rathotsavam. Celebrtated during mid of November every year. Colourful Temple car festival where all the streets of the village will be lightened and the procession of Ratha's will take place.
- Kunissery Kummatti. In March/April every year (on Punartham of Meenam). A traditional Indian festival.
- Nemmara Vela. April 2nd/3rd every year. A traditional Indian festival.
- Walk in the paddy fields, Azhchapparamba Junction, Thrissur Road.
Due to its traditional Tamil-Brahmin culture, Palakkad has maintained a slight distance from Malabar cuisine, focusing more on vegetarian Tamil foods.
- 10/10 Restaurant, West Yakkara (3 km).
- 20/20 Fast Food, Yakkara Junction (5 km).
- Aryas Vegetarian Restaurant, Near Town Railway Station.
- Fort Palace Hotel. Veg and non-veg.
- Hotel Indraprastha, English Church Road. Veg and non-veg. ₹45.
- Hotel Kapilavasthu. Vegetarian.
- Hotel NoorJehan. Authentic Kerala style Muslim dishes.
- Hotel Royal Treat. Veg and non-veg.
- Hotel Sri Chakra, ☏ . ₹150 for lunch.
- [dead link] Indian Coffee House, Opp. KSRTC, ☏ .
- Indian Coffee House, Opp. Post Office, Olavakkod Junction. 7:30AM to 10PM.
- K R Bakes. Veg and non-veg.
- Kudumbashree Caffe, Abudhabi Complex, Near Stadium (1 km).
- Magic Oven Cafe, Near Stadium.
- Manis Cafe, Near Railway Police Station, Olavakkod. Specialists in Elayada or Leaf-covered-rice-cake
- Noor Jahan Open Grill, Near Stadium.
- Old NMR Restaurant, Harikkara Street, Santhi Nagar, Sultanpet, ☏ 098477 70853 . 10:30AM to 9:30PM.
- Adaminte Biriyani Kada, College Rd, Parakkunnam, Palakkad, ☏ 094478 38250 . Very tenderly cooked beef is their specialty. 120₹.
- Railway Retiring Room, at Palakkad Junction Railway Station (Olavakkod). ₹200 A/c.
- A.V.Tourist Home, G.B.Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Chanakya, Chandra Nagar (near BPL Factory). ₹500 - 1500.
- Hotel Gazala.
- Hotel Kairali, Near Stadium Bus stand. ₹1000 - 3000.
- Hotel Malabar, Near Stadium Bus stand. Delicious & ethnic veg & non-veg cuisine.
- India Lodge, Near Railway Police Station, Olavakkod. ₹100 for single room.
- Indraprastha Hotel, English Church Road, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. ₹800.
- Kairali Resort (Kairali Resort), Olassery, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. Kairali Resort, Kodumbu Olassery Road, Palakkad 9000.
- Landmark Residency, ☏ . ₹675.
- Malang Lodge, Kannara Street, Near Noorajahan Hotel, G.B.Road cross, ☏ . ₹125.
- Sri Chakra International, Chandranagar. ₹1,500.
- Agali Hills Hill Station
- Nelliyampathi a hill station in the Western Ghats, 60 km from Palakkad.
- Parambikulam wild life sanctuary and boating
- Silent Valley National Park
- Malampuzha Gardens