It is a mostly residential community, with many housing developments, and public parks. Parkland is known for its zoning laws, which are designed to protect the "park-like" character of the city. There were no stores or traffic lights in Parkland until the mid-1990s and early 2000s when large neighborhood developments (Heron Bay and Parkland Isles) were built.
It gained notoriety in February 2018 as the location of the deadliest school shooting in American history, which took place at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
Broward County Transit Bus #30 leaves from Fort Lauderdale's Central Terminal every 30 minutes ($3); transfer at West Terminal to Bus #2 (every 30 minutes) and get off at University D/Westview D (1hr 50min total) (Aug 2018).
Parkland is about 24 mi (30 km) north and west of Fort Lauderdale.
Broward County Transit has several routes through Parkland.
- Parkland Golf and Country Club, 10001 Old Club Road.
- Heron Bay Golf Club, 11801 Heron Bay Blvd.
- Parkland Airboat Rides, ☏ . Jun-Sep. Everglades tours in the Loxahatchee preserve just west on Loxahatchee road in Parkland. An in-depth look at the everglades ecosystem, its history, and wildlife. Adults $75, children 3 to 12 $35.
- Barkland, 9245 Ranch Rd. Daily 7:30AM until sunset. 2 acres of park dedicated to dogs. One area for dogs under 25 pounds and a larger area for dogs over 25 pounds. Amenities include a dog washing station, water fountains for both pets and people, walking trails, covered pavilions, and benches. There are also things for the dogs to climb through and climb over.
- Bluefin Sushi Thai Grill, 6694 Parkside Dr, ☏ . Su-Th 11:30AM-10PM, F Sa 11:30AM-10:30PM. Sushi, Thai food.
- Pizza Time Caffe, 6620 Parkside Dr, ☏ . Su noon-9PM, M-Th 11:30AM-9PM, F Sa 11AM-10PM. Pizza and authentic Italian cuisine. Pasta $13-19, mains $17-29,.
- Blue Agave, 7609 N State Road 7, ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-10PM, Su 11AM-9PM. Mexican. Lunch $8-12, mains $15-20.
- Sub Zero Nitrogen Ice Cream, 7869 N University Drive.
There are no hotels within the city limits, but there are two located just outside the city's borders.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Coconut Creek, 5740 SR 7, Coconut Creek, ☏ .
- Studio 6 Coral Springs, FL - Fort Lauderdale, 5645 N University Dr, ☏ . Extended-stay hotel featuring free Wi-Fi, air-conditioning, laundry services, an airport shuttle, and kitchenettes in some rooms. It's also pet and kid-friendly, and smoke-free. $64.