Petersfield is a small town in Hampshire.
Petersfield, derived from 'St. Peters in the field' is a small town towards the western end of the South Downs National Park at the junction of the A272 road from Sussex to Winchester and the main A3 London to Portsmouth Road that bypasses the town.
Get in Edit
By car Edit
The town is just off the main A3 London to Portsmouth trunk route. It is also on the A272 road on the stretch between Midhurst and Winchester. Access from Alton and Aldershot can be achieved by the B3006 and A326 respectively. Options exist from Chichester and Emsworth of routes using the B2141 and B2146 roads however some may find use of the mostly dual carriageway A27 and A3 trunk roads may be more convenient.
By train Edit
- 1 Petersfield railway station, Station Approach, GU32 3EE. A stop for all services on the direct London Waterloo to Portsmouth route. On the Portsmouth Direct Line running between London Waterloo and Portsmouth Harbour. Station managed by South West Trains
By bus Edit
The town is served by Stagecoach buses from Havant, Waterlooville, Winchester, Alton, Chichester and Midhurst. The National Express Bus service 031 from Portsmouth to London calls at Petersfield once daily.
By bicycle Edit
- National Cycle Route 22. Runs Banstead, Surrey to Brockenhurst in the New Forest, passing through Dorking, Guildford, Farnham, Petersfield, Havant, Portsmouth, Ryde, Yarmouth and Lymington.
- East Hampshire (EH) Regional Cycle Route. Passes through the town. A circular cycle route tours of East Hampshire AONB.
On foot Edit
- 2 South Downs Way. Long distance footpath & bridleway (100 miles, 160 km) running Winchester in Hampshire to Eastbourne in East Sussex passes 4 miles (6½ km) S of Petersfield
- Shipwrights Way. Long distance footpath, bridleway and cycle route (50 miles, 80 km) in Hampshire running from Bentley Railway Station to Portsmouth via Alice Holt Forest, Liss, Liphook, Petersfield, Queen Elizabeth Country Park, Havant and Hayling Island with alternative routes for some more able walkers. The sections through Petersfield follow national cycle route 22.
Get around Edit
The centre of the town is quite small and most places can be accessed by walking.
- 1 Petersfield Physic Garden (A path leads to the garden from the middle of the High Street just to the west of Folly Lane). 9AM-4PM/6PM. A private green garden in a 17th-century style in the centre of town. free.
- 2 Petersfield Museum and Art Gallery, The Old Courthouse, St Peter’s Rd, GU32 3HX, ☏ . Mid-Mar to end-Nov: Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM. Includes an exhibition on local artist Flora Twort.
- 3 St Peter's Church, Church Path, The Square, GU32 3HS, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 4 Uppark House & Garden, South Harting, GU31 5QR (6 miles S of Petersfield). Free parking. Cafe. No dogs Whole property: adult £10.50, child £5.25; gardens only: adult £7, child £3.50.
- 5 Butser Ancient Farm, Chalton Lane Chalton PO8 0BG (about 8 km SSW of Petersfield, follow brown signs to Butser Ancient Farm off of the A3). Stone Age to Roman farm on archaeological site with reconstructed buildings, workshops, and ancient animal breeds. Hosts an annual wicker man burning on the feast of Beltain
- 6 The Festival Hall, Heath Road, GU31 4EA (just east of the High Street off Heath Road). Holds events, drama, music and films.
- 7 Sir Alec Guinness' grave, Petersfield Cemetery, Ramshill, GU31 4AP (From the town centre, take the unsigned 2nd L on Ramshill after the one-way system (around 100 m), then almost immediately fork L on a narrow lane which leads to the cemetery). The relatively ordinary mid-19th century cemetery where the late Oscar- and BAFTA-winning actor is at rest. Best known for film roles in The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and Star Wars, Sir Alec lived on the outskirts of Petersfield for decades with his wife of over sixty years, Merula, alongside whom he is buried. While you're there, take time to admire the handsome chapel of rest at the entrance.
- 1 Petersfield Boats, Heath Road West (take the B2070 out of the town then take the B2146 at the sign marked Heath Pond). Seasonal boat and kayak hire on Heath Lake (subject to season and weather).
- 2 Open Air Swimming Pool, The Courtyard, Heath Rd, GU31 4DZ, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Heated. Adults £5, juniors £4.
- 3 The Hangers Way (21 mile footpath). Alton Railway Station (15 miles (25 km) N of town) to Queen Elizabeth Country Park (5½ miles S of town).
- 4 Queen Elizabeth Country Park, PO8 0QE (5½ miles (8½ km) S of town, OS Grid ref: SU718185), ☏ , email@example.com. Walking, cycling, cafe, adventure play, picnics & BBQs.
- 5 Butser Hill (Butser Hill National Park), 4.5 km SW of Petersfield (follow signs to Butser Hill off of the A3 and go hast the Hampshire Hog; do not follow signs to Butser Ancient Farm; it can also be accessed by various trails). Butser Hill is the second highest point in Hampshire and is a SSSI.
- 6 Taro Leisure Centre, Penns Place, GU31 4EX (Bus 94 or from high street take Heath Road, Durford Road and Penns Road (1½ mi, 2½ km)), ☏ . Sports centre with swimming facilities, flume; health centre with spa pool; other non membership bookable activities
Petersfield includes an assortment of independent craft shops. There is a market in the square on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- 1 All That's Handmade (Craft Shop), 11 Lavant St, GU32 3EL, ☏ . Tu 9AM-noon & 1-4:15PM, W 9AM-noon, Th F 9AM-noon & 1-4:15PM, Sa 9AM-noon & 1-3PM.
- 2 Waitrose (Supermarket), 8 Rams Walk, GU32 3JA, ☏ . M-Th 7:30AM-8PM, F 7:30AM-9PM, Sa 7:30AM-8PM, Su 10AM-4PM.
- 3 M&S Simply Food, 21-25 High St, GU32 3JT, ☏ . M-F 8AM-8PM, Sa 8AM-7PM, Su 10:30AM-4:30PM.
- Petersfield Farmers Market is in the village square on the first Sunday of the month.
- 1 The Square Brewery, The Square, GU32 3HJ. Fullers pub also offering food.
- 2 The Red Lion, 3 College St, GU31 4AE, ☏ . M-W 8AM-midnight, Th 8AM-1AM, F Sa 8AM-12:30AM, Su 8AM-11PM.
- 3 The Townhouse, 28 High St, GU32 3JL, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 10AM-11PM, Sa 10AM-midnight, Su 10AM-9PM.
- 4 The Good Intent, College St, GU31 4AF, ☏ . Pub: M-Sa 11AM-11PM, Su noon-11PM; food: M noon-2:30PM & 7-9PM, Tu-Sa noon-2:30PM & 6:30-9:30PM, Su noon-2:30PM & 7-9PM. Free Wi-Fi
- 5 The Harrow, Church Rd, Steep GU32 2DA, ☏ . Su-W noon-2:30PM, Th-Sa noon-2:30PM, 6PM-9PM. Charming wood-beamed 17th century pub with real ales, cash only.
- 1 Pearfield (B&B), 40 Marden Way, GU31 4PW. B & B featured in an episode of Four in a Bed.
- 2 Premier Inn, Winchester Rd, GU32 3BS, ☏ (premium). Free Wi-Fi. Restaurant From £77.50.
- 3 1 The Spain (B&B), 1 The Spain, Sheep St, GU32 3JZ, ☏ , email@example.com. Single occupancy £50; double £80.
- 4 Cedar Valley Campsite, Bereleigh Estate, East Meon GU32 1PH, ☏ . Spacious campsite near South Downs Way. The big green bus serves pizza.
As of May 2022, Petersfield has 4G from all UK carriers and 5G from Vodafone.
Go next Edit
|Routes through Petersfield|
|London ← Haslemere ←||NE SW||→ merges with → Portsmouth|