Petroșani is in the Jiu Valley, which is the entrance to the Retezat National Park and provides access to the Vâlcan, Parâng and Retezat mountains. The city was founded in the 17th century (around 1640). In 1720, an Austrian cartographer mentions that the entire Jiu Valley was intensly populated and settlements could be seen from one end to the other. During the 1818 census, there were 233 inhabitants, while the entire valley counted 2550. During this time, the main activity of the people was shepherding and no urban settlement had appeared yet. Around 1840, coal surface mining began in Petroșani, Vulcan and Petrila. The population grew significantly only in the 20th century during the communist regime, as many workers were brought in from other parts of the country.
Get in Edit
By car Edit
- From Bucharest, 343 km: take A-1 to Pitești, then take DN-7 to Căciulata, then DN-7A to Voineasa and Petroșani.
- From Deva, 100 km: take E-68 to Simeria and then E-79 to Hațeg and Petroșani.
- From Timisoara, 230 km: take E-70 (DN 6) to Lugoj and Caransebeș, then take DN-68 to Hațeg. From there, take E-79 (DN 66) to reach Petroșani.
- From Cluj-Napoca, 214 km: take E-81 (DN 1) to Alba Iulia and Sebeș, then E-68 to Simeria. From there, take E-79 (DN 66) to Petroșani.
By bus Edit
Transport with maxi-taxi is an effective way to travel in the Jiu Valley. Minibuses carry passengers between the Jiu Valley cities and to and from Deva. Minibuses leave from 10 to 10 minutes or more often.
By train Edit
- 1 Petroșani railway station.
Get around Edit
Local transport between Market Victoria-Airport is made by family associations, individuals, businesses - number of cars: 107.
- 1 Parâng Mountains. The Parâng mountain landscape includes glacial lakes, forests, a botanical reserve, and ski slopes. Big Parâng Peak (Parângu Mare) - 2519 m, the third highest peak in Romania, Carja Peak - 2405 m and 22 glacial lakes make for some panoramic hiking scenery. In the winter besides skiing, one can practice other winter sports such as luge, snowboard, motoscooter rides and paragliding flight.
- 2 Theater I.D. Sarbu, Str. Mihai Viteazu 2, ☏ . Theater hall since the post-WWII years.
- 3 Mining Museum, Str. Nicolae Balcescu nr. 2, ☏ . T-F 9:00 - 16:00, Sa-Su 09:00-15:00, closed Monday. Opened around 1961 as a tribute to the miners work, evoking the history of mining and mining technology development of coal exploitation.
- 4 Church of St. Barbara (Biserica Sfânta Varvara), Strada Venus. Old wooden church.
- 5 Bolii Cave, ☏ . Subterranean world with pools and
- 6 Dacian fortress of Bănița (Cetatea dacică Bănița). a sugarloaf-type rock and fortress where the Dacians and Romans fought it out.
- 7 Cheile Băniței. like a big sluice in the ground.
- Muzeul Instalatorului Român, Strada General Dragalina 2. Abstract art museum (helps to be into art).
- 1 Stațiunea Parâng, on DJ709F (about 12 km southeast of Petrosani). The premier Petrosani ski area. You can go skiing between November to April, more or less depending on weather conditions. Not the most vertical drop, but some long slopes.
- Mountain bike on alpine tracks or hiking on Parâng mountain trails.
- Try camps of artistic creation (Summer University)
- or the Folklore Festival - held every year
- Watch Skiing competitions at the national level
- Jiul Shopping Center, Str.1 decembrie 1918,nr.79.
- Medieval Restaurant, ☏ .
- Keops Club Restaurant, ☏ .
- Bar Selena, Strada 1 Decembrie 1918 nr.98, ☏ .
- Keops Club Restaurant, ☏ .
- 1 Hotel Rusu, Strada Timişoara 34, ☏ . This is kind of like the main lodge to go with the ski resort. Spa and restaurant.
- 2 Cazare Petrosani - Pensiunea Bujor de Munte, Strada Bujorului, ☏ . An alternative lodging by the ski resort. 190 leu.
- 3 Pensiunea Floare de Colt, Str. Livezeni nr. 36, ☏ .
- Hope Villa, Str. Rusu nr. 1, ☏ .
- 4 La Belle Epoque, Strada Grivița Roșie 36, ☏ . Old-times resort with restaurant and big lobby area. 222 leu.
- 5 Complex Casa de Vis, DN66A, Aninoasa, ☏ . A big complex where people can relax and eat and lounge by the pool. 153 leu.
- Petroșani City Library, Str. Aviatori, 22A, ☏ .
Go next Edit
- Deva, the capital of Hunedoara County is 89 km away from Petroșani. Here you can see Deva fortress and you can visit the Dacian-Roman Civilization Museum.
- Târgu Jiu, the capital of Gorj County is 51 km away from Petroșani. Here you can see the works of the famous sculptor, Constantin Brâncuși.
- Hațeg is 50 km away from Petroșani.
- Hunedoara is 74 km away. You can visit Hunyad Castle in Hunedoara.