Pierre (pron. "peer") (Lakota: Čhúŋkaške, lit. "fort") is the capital of South Dakota and the seat of Hughes County.
The city is named after Pierre Chouteau, Jr., a fur trader and entrepreneur of French heritage.
The area that now comprises the city was first discovered during Lewis and Clark Expedition in 1804. Sioux Indians were the majority in the area before European immigrants started settling in permanently.
Around the 1810s, fur trading entrepreneurs established a trading post in the city, which is commonly regarded as the first "permanent settlement" in the city. It wasn't until the 1880s when the city became part of the western terminus of the Chicago and North Western Railway and was named "Pierre".
When South Dakota was admitted to the union in the 1880s, Pierre got chosen as the permanent capital of the state. As the capital of South Dakota, many of the city's inhabitants work for the local government.
Pierre is one of the least populous state capitals in the United States; as of 2022, the population is 15,000.
Get in edit
By car edit
Pierre is not served by an Interstate highway or by any major expressways.
- If you are driving from North Dakota, take US Route 83 and then take US Route 14.
- From Interstate 90 Pierre is another 35 mi (56 km) north along US Route 83 from Vivian (Exit 212 of I-90).
By plane edit
There is only one airport in the city.
- 1 Pierre Regional Airport (PIR IATA), 3800 Airport Rd (3 mi (4.8 km) east of the city center via E 4th St). General aviation airport with limited commercial flights to and from Denver and Minneapolis with Denver Air Connection.
By bus edit
- 2 River Cities Transit (Operated by Community Coordinated Transit), (office/bus garage) 1600 E Dakota Ave (E Dakota & S Harrison. Public entry at north/northwest side of the main building from S Harrison. Map marker is approximately where the entry is), ☏ . (office hours) M-F 8AM-5PM; Sa Su 1-3PM. Daily connections from Pierre to Highmore through Blunt, Harrold and Holabard along US Hwy 14. They also sell tickets and connect with Jefferson Lines in Vivian.
Get around edit
By car edit
As Pierre is one of the smallest cities in the United States, you can very easily cover the city by car. A trip to the Capitol from the airport will take you 7-10 min depending on traffic conditions.
By foot edit
A lot of attractions are within walking distance.
If you're up for the challenge, you can literally walk to Ramkota Hotel from the airport and it'll take you around 60-65 mins!
- 1 South Dakota State Capitol, 500 E Capitol Ave, ☏ . 8AM-5PM, daily. Volunteers lead building tours every day with reservation 48 hours (business days) in advance. Free.
- 3 South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Dr, ☏ . M-Sa 9AM-6:30PM, Su 1-4:30PM. Adults $8, seniors (60+) $6, children (17 and under), and all SD residents are free. 1st Su of month free.
- 4 Oahe Dam. South Dakota's largest dam.
- 5 Capitol Heights Baptist Church, 1720 E SD Hwy 14/83, ☏ . Worship Su 10:45AM.
- 6 Albert Wheelon Historic House, 902 East Capitol (NE of E Capitol and N Washington Ave).
Launch down the Missouri River and catch some fish! The Missouri River provides plenty of fishing opportunities.
- South Dakota Walleye Charters, 1610 Skerols St E 11 Fort Pierre SD, 57532, email@example.com. Fishing guide for those wishing to start out.
South Dakota has a deep hunting history, and Pierre offers plenty of hunting opportunities. Pierre is a good place to breed and develop your hunting skills.
- 1 Warne Ranch & Outfitters, 3520 Lambeth Place, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Center Creek Kennels & Outfitters, ☏ .
- Crooked Creek Outfitters, LLC, 2302 Callaway Court, ☏ , (deer and antelope hunting), email@example.com.
- Major League Adventures, 316 Ft. Sully Trail, ☏ , TBruno156@aol.com.
- Dave Spaid Hunting and Fishing Guide Service, 215 Sunshine Loop, ☏ . Hunting guide with decades of experience.
- 1 Mad Mary's Steakhouse & Saloon, 110 E Dakota Ave, ☏ . M-Sa 5-9PM. A popular steakhouse that has been around since 1999.
- 2 Jake's Good Times Place, 610 S Cleveland Ave, ☏ . Daily 11AM-10PM. A sports bar that serves burgers and wings.
- 3 Pierre Donut Shop, 1120 N Euclid Ave (N Euclid & E 7th), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. W-Sa 6AM-noon.
Go next edit
|Routes through Pierre|
|Rapid City ← Wall ←||W E||→ Miller → Brookings|
|Bismarck ← Selby ← Jct ←||N S||→ Jct W E → Mission → North Platte|