Piteå was founded in 1620 and granted city rights in 1621, with the purpose of creating a trading center in northern Sweden. Originally it was a smaller settlement by Öjebyn church, but after being was destroyed in a fire it was moved to its current location on Häggholmen in 1668. The 17th century city plan still characterizes parts of the city.
During the 19th century Piteå was industrialized with a rapid economic development, particularly producing timber. The city is still dominated by the wood industry, with sawmills and papermills. The city was raided by Russian troops]] in 1721 and 1809. It was the residential city of Norrbotten County until 1856. In the early 20th century Piteå was still a small city with a population of som 2,500 inhabitants. After the construction of a railway, connecting Piteå with Älvsbyn, Piteå expanded rapidly.
There are daytime trains from Stockholm to Umeå, and night trains to Luleå, and buses from there to Piteå. The regional buses are operated by Länstraffiken i Norrbotten, while national trains are operated by SJ.
The E4 passes by the city.
Search connections for bus, train and air on http://resrobot.se
- Pite havsbad - Is a sand beach located by the Baltic sea some 10 km (6.2 mi) south of central Piteå, known as "the riviera of Norrbotten". In addition to the beach itself, there is also a large hotel centre and water park in the area.
- Piteå dansar och ler PLD - Is an street festival organized during the last weekend of July every year since the 1960s. It usually attracts some 90,000 attendance.
Småstaden is a shopping mall in central Piteå with some 30 shops, as well as several restaurants and hotels. Another major shopping mall is Gallerian Piteå, which as an entire floor dedicated to clothing stores.
- 1 Ångbryggeriet Kök & Bar, Bryggargatan 14, ☏ .
- Doktorsvillan, Furunäsvägen 106, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A restaurant listed by the White guide, located in an old house which was once the villa of the local doctor.
- Pizzeria Blå Ängeln, Källbogatan 2, ☏ . A pizzeria with an a la carte menu.
- Frasses, Turbovägen 9 (Öjebyn), ☏ . Part of a Swedish fast food burger chain.
- 2 Max, Källbogatan 6, ☏ . Part of a Swedish fast food burger chain.
- Luleå - The seat of Norrbotten County, known for its UNESCO World Heritage church village "Gammelstad"
|Routes through Piteå|
|Haparanda ← Luleå ←||N S||→ Skellefteå → Sundsvall|