Skellefteå, called Skellefte by locals, is a town in Västerbotten County, Sweden, at the Baltic Sea, with around 33,000 inhabitants. Skellefteå municipality, Skellefteå kommun, has 72,000 inhabitants in total.
- Skellefteå town
- Skelleftehamn, the harbour of Skellefteå
- Boliden, known for its gold mine
- Burträsk, known for Västerbotten Cheese
Skellefteå is built on natural resources; gold and other metals from the mine at Boliden, forestry, and hydroelectric power.
- 1 Skellefteå Airport (SFT IATA). A hub for charter flights in Norrland. Regular services are available daily to Stockholm Arlanda Airport by SAS and Norwegian Air Shuttle.
The airport shuttlebus to Skellefteå cost 80 kr each way. From the city it departs a certain time before take-off. E.g., from Stadshotellet (City Hall) it is 65 minutes.
Arriving by train is not possible, in fact Skellefteå is the largest city in Sweden without passenger traffic. Most convenient is to hop on night trains to either Umeå or the small town of Jörn where connecting buses will take you to the city center.
Long-distance buses is a cheap alternative and runs daily towards Stockholm or further north in Norrland.
European route E4 runs along the coast.
- 1 The Church Town. The Church Town consisting of 116 wooden cottages was historically for families that had to travel a long way to attend Sunday masses at the city church.
- 2 Nordanå, Ernst Westerlunds allé, ☏ . Scenic culture and open-air recreation area near the centre of Skellefteå. free entrance.
Nygatan is the pedestrian shopping street.
- 1 Nygatan 57, Nygatan 57, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 11:00-13:30, M-Sa 17:00-. Nice restaurant with a rooftop terrace. 130 kr.
- 2 Bryggargatan Restaurant & Bistro, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Th 17:00-23:00, F Sa 17:00-24:00. 850 kr for the six-course menu.
- 3 Olanders Cafe, Nygatan 63., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 11:30-16:00. Traditional Swedish food with locally produced ingredients. 125 kr.
- 4 Burträsk Värdshus, Kamvägen 7, Burträsk (42 km SW of Skellefteå). An inn and restaurant which serves traditional northern dishes. It is in the only place where Västerbotten cheese is made.
- 1 Bishops Arms, Torget 6, ☏ . M 16:00-23:00, Tu-Th 16:00-01:00, F 15:00-02:00, Sa 12:00-02:00, Su 15:00-22:00. Has a good selection of beers.
- 1 Hotell Aurum, Gymnasievägen 12, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Scandic Hotel Skellefteå, Kanalgatan 75, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Brunnsgården, Kyrkstadsvägen 16, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Bed&Breakfast next to Bonnstan and the river within walking distance from town 775 kr for a double room.
- 4 Stadshotell, Stationsgatan 8, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
|Routes through Skellefteå|
|Haparanda ← Piteå ←||N S||→ Umeå → Sundsvall|