The Mountains and Lakes Country region is in West Virginia.
- Tunnelton Tunnels, route 26. (Tunnelton) Two railroad tunnels, dug by hand between 1850 and 1853. On their completion, at 4,100 feet long, they were the longest in the world, and were crucial during the Civil War.
- Our Lady of the Pines, US-219. (Silver Lake) Bills itself as the "smallest church in 48 states", although at 24 by 12 feet, it has a lot of competition for the title! Nevertheless, it's a pretty little church in a scenic area, and can be rented for weddings. Nearby are a wishing well and the "smallest mailing office".
- Cathedral State Park, ☏ . Route 50. (Aurora) A 133-acre ancient hemlock forest and the only stand of mixed virgin timber left in West Virginia.
- Big Bear Lake, ☏ . I-68 exit 29. (Bruceton Mills) 35-acre lake for swimming, fishing or sunbathing on the beach. 24 miles of mountain bike and hiking trails, lakeside waterslide, 18-hole miniature golf, game room, tennis courts, volleyball courts, baseball field, country-western dances. Cabins available.
- 1 Cranesville Swamp Preserve (Cranesville Swamp), Maryland border, near Lake Ford. 1600 acres of wet bog preserve. Several trails, including a quarter-mile boardwalk over the swamp. Carnivorous sundew plants, bog cranberry, sphagnum moss, and several species of endangered plants and animals can be seen throughout the wetlands. Free.
- Hebron. Brachiopods can be found in the road cut across from Hebron Church in the unincorporated community of Hebron.
Buckwheat is produced in Bruceton Mills, and is available in local stores from mid-September through December.
- Alpine Lake Resort, 700 W Alpine Drive, ☏ , toll-free: . (Terra Alta) 35 rooms. Indoor heated pool, fitness center. 150-acre lake with beach, 8-hole golf course, restaurant, lounge, pro shop, miniature golf, tennis, basketball, cross-country skiing, fishing and hiking.
- Maple Leaf Motel, corner of Morgantown Street and Main Street off I-68, +1 304-379-4075. (Bruceton Mills) 12 rooms. Country decor with quilts on each bed.