- For other places with the same name, see Qingyuan (disambiguation).
Qingyuan Prefecture consists of the following districts:
- Qingcheng District (清城区; Qīngchéngqū) - centre of the city
- Yingde City (英德市; Yīngdéshì) - 50 km northeast of the city centre, home to Baojing Palace
- Lianzhou City (连州市; Liánzhōushì) - 150 km north of the city centre, home to the Underground River
- Fogang County(佛冈县; Fógāngxiàn) - 40 km northeast of the city centre, home to Huanghua Lake
- Yangshan County (阳山县; Yángshānxiàn) - 100 km north of the city centre, home to Shikengkong Mountain
- Qingxin County (清新县; Qīngxīnxiàn) - home to caves and hot springs, just north of the city centre
- Lianshan Zhuang and Yao Autonomous County (连山壮族瑶族自治县; Liánshān Zhuàngzú Yáozúzìzhìxiàn)
- Liannan Yao Autonomous County (连南瑶族自治县; Liánnán Yáozúzìzhìxiàn)
The area has been inhabited for thousands of years by both Han Chinese and ethnic minorities. The present city of Qingyuan was established as a prefecture level city in 1988.
Qingyuan is just north of the Pearl River Delta in a diverse landscape with both plains and mountains. The climate is subtropical monsoon with plenty of rain in the summer half and not too cold winters. The city can be visited all year but is most pleasant during April to October.
Cantonese is the main language spoken in Qingyuan, albeit with a distinctive accent. Although there are noticeable pronunciation differences between the local dialect and standard Cantonese, if you are fluent in standard Cantonese, this should not pose too much of a challenge. Most younger locals are bilingual in Mandarin and Cantonese.
Qingyuan does not have its own airport but Guangzhou Airport is only 30 km away.
Arriving by train will take you to Qingyuan Station some 15 km east of the city centre. Trains include from
There are plenty of buses to the city arriving including from
Old bus station: 3306600 New bus station: 3368565
- The Old Village. A village with scenic waterways and old-fashioned buildings.
- Feilai Temple (飞来寺; fēiláisì) (In Qingyuan Valley 23km from the city centre, can be reached by private or public boat from Qingyuan). 1,400 years old temple beautifully situated at the bank of Beijiang River.
- Feixia Scenic Area (30km northeast of the city centre, can be reached by private or public boat as well by bus (1½ hours)), ☏ , . Area along Beijiang River with hills on both banks. ¥60.
- Baojing Palace of Yingde (宝晶宫; Bǎojīnggōng), Yingde City (英德市; Yīngdéshì), ☏ .
- Taihe Ancient Cave (太和古洞旅游区; Tàihégǔdòng Lǚyóuqū), Taihe Town, Qingxin County (清新县太和镇; Qīngxīnxiàn Tàihézhèn).
- Sankeng Hot Spring (三坑温矿泉; Sānkēng Wēnkuàngquán), Sankeng Town, Qingxin County (清新县三坑镇; Qīngxīnxiàn Sānkēngzhèn).
- Huanghua Lake (黄花湖; Huánghuāhú), Fogang County (佛冈县; Fógāngxiàn).
- Little Beijiang of Lianyang. The river helps sustain 4 million people in the whole northwest part of Qingyuan. You can row on this river with a rowboat.
- Peak Shikengkong in Yangshan County.
- Underground River of Lianzhou.
- Three Gorges of Huangchuan.
- Yinzhan Hot Spring Area.
- Yao Ethnic Minority of Liannan.
- Glass Bridge. High above Gulongxia, not for those with fear of heights. There's also a glass viewing platform above the same valley.
Not white-water rafting as we know it but a man-made cement slide on a mountain where two people sit in a small dinghy and hang on for dear life. No guide and no rowing required. Going with a tour agency can get you better prices as they often tie in the tour with shopping visits in which you listen to a lecture on a variety of products. Whilst it may seem boring, the entire tour including lunch can end up being cheaper than the entrance fee at the rafting site. There are several canyons to choose from.
- Gulongxia. The tallest canyon.
- Huangtengxia. Equally popular and also has a water park, a mountain luge trail, cable cars and a treetop walk.
- Indigenous Tribes. Visit minorities in Liannan and Lianshan.
There are several local herbal and medicinal products on sale, such as deer wine and lingzhi, an expensive medicinal fungus.
Qingyuan is known for its chickens (清远鸡), and naturally, this makes it an excellent place to try chicken dishes.
- Green Recirt (清远汤塘格林度假酒店).
- Baiyun Airport Hot Spring Resort (清远白云机场温泉度假村).
- Dragon Bay Natural Hot Spring Resort (清远聚龙湾天然温泉度假村).
- Gehao Holiday Hotel (清远格豪假日酒店 (原清远万豪假日酒店)).
- Grace Garden Hotel (清远清新花园酒店).
- Hubin Bubugao Hotel (清远湖滨步步高酒店).
- Lilac Garden Hotel (清远丁香花园酒店).
- Qingyuan Yingde Baodunhu Villa (清远英德宝敦湖半山度假酒店 (原英德奇洞温泉度假村)).
- Shampoola Forest Hotel (清远佛冈森波拉度假山庄).
- Tianmengou Jiuzhouyizhan Resort (九州驿站清远英德天门沟驿站).
- Zoto Garden Hotel (阳山县卓代花园酒店).
- Sofitel Riverside Qingyuan (清远索菲特丽豪大酒店).