Sønderborg is a town in South Jutland, Denmark near the Danish-German border on the island of Als. The population is 30.000. The towns in the region of Sønderborg are Nordborg (on northern part of the island), Augustenborg, Gråsten, Broager, and Guderup. The population of the region is 77,000.
- 1 Sønderborg Airport (SGD IATA). Alsie Express is the only airline serving the airport. As of 2017 there is only a flight to/from Copenhagen Airport, but they plan on introducing seasonal service to Bornholm by July 2018. There is no public transit - not even buses - to or from the airport. You'd have to take a taxi or arrange pickup.
- 2 Sønderborg station. The station is served by Intercity and regional trains, mostly operated by DSB
If driving north on the E45 highway coming from Germany, route 8 is the fastest way to get to Sønderborg. If driving south on E45, route 41 is the fastest.
Sønderborg is located not very far from the Danish-German border. Just south of the border is the German town of Flensburg, which is popular among Danes going to Germany on a one-day trip, often to shop and to buy alcohol and chocolate, which is cheaper in Germany than in Denmark.
From the central bus station (rutebilstation) there are buses run to Dybbøl, Kær, Stenbjergparken, Kløvermarken, Skovparken, Sønderborg Sygehus (Hospital) twice at every hour. One way ticket is 17 DKK and payable onbard, only cash. There is also 10 clip card for 120 DKK, if you plan to travel more frequent. One other thing to note is it that, since it is a small town, buses take off twice an hour (mostly).
Sønderborg is a very bike friendly city. Almost all roads have separated bike lanes. Hop up on your bike or buy a second hand one and do not suffer in the buses.
- 1 Dybbøl Mølle (near Sønderborg). Mar 28-Oct 18 11:00-16:00; week 42 10:00-17:00; also 10:00-17:00 in school holidays, easter, Pentecost, great Preyer day, and Ascension day. Historically significant windmill, now museum DKK 25.
- 2 Sønderborg Slot, ☏ . Jun-Sep 10:00-17:00; Apr,May,Oct Tu-Su 10:00-16:00; Nov-Mar Tu-Su 10:00-16:00; week 7,8,42 10:00-16:00. Public holidays also on mondays. Historical castle in Sønderborg
- 3 Alsion, ☏ . The culture, education, and science park in Sønderborg.
- Curry Leaves, Nørrebro 2, ☏ . An Indian restaurant. 140 kr buffet.
- Bella Italia, Lille Rådhusgade 33, ☏ . An Italian restaurant.
- Fox and Hounds, Store Rådhusgade 1, ☏ . A British pub and restaurant.
- Huset Blom, Sundsmarkvej 40, ☏ . A mansion turned into a fancy restaurant with a large wine cellar.
- Restaurant Colosseum, Sønder Havnegade 24, ☏ . Offer Danish cuisine.
- Quality Hotel Sønderborg.
- Comwell Sønderborg, Strandvej 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hotel Nørherredhus, Mads Clausens Vej 101, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Benniksgaard Hotel & Konference, Sejrsvej 101, Rinkenæs, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Scandic Hotel Sønderborg, Ellegårdvej 27, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Danhostel Sønderborg, Kærvej 70, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Danhostel Vollerup, Mommarkvej 22, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Sønderborg camping, Ringgade 7, ☏ .
- Drejby Strand Camping, Kegnæsvej 85, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Season from the beginning of April until the end of September.
- Gammelmark Strand Camping, Gammelmark 20, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Hertugbyens Camping, Ny Stavensbøl 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lærkelunden Camping, Nederbyvej 25, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.