region south of the Kongeå in Jutland, Denmark
South Jutland is in Denmark.
- 1 Trøjborg Castle ruin (At Ribe Landevej north of Tønder). 08:00 - sunset. Old ruin with a moat free.
- 2 Slotsgaden in Møgeltønder (5Km west of Tønder). Beautiful main street with paving-stones and flanked with lime trees.
- 3 Frøslevlejren (Padborg is closest train station), ☏ . Tu-Fr 09:00-16:00; Sa-Su,PH 10:00-17:00; Jun 18-Aug 10 10:00-17:00; Dec-Jan off. World War II prison camp. Now a museum about the German surveillance, the life of the prisoners, and the deportations to concentration camps in Germany. free.
- 4 Mandø Island. can only be reached at low tide from Vester Vedsted. Has some interesting wildlife, and nature conservancy, ornithology, and mud-flat exhibitions (some seasonal). Trips from here on to Koresand sandbank, which has a seal reserve, are also possible and take around 3 hours.
- 5 Ballum Pump Mills. Small museum operated by volunteers documenting local events. The Pump Mill were used to provide drinking water for cattle. free.
- 6 Løgum Abbey (Løgumkloster), Slotsgade 11, Løgumkloster (in Løgumkloster town), ☏ . M-Sa 10:00-18:30, Su 12:00-17:00. The Cistercian Løgum Abbey was founded in 1173 by Bishop Stefan of Ribe. The church is closed for renovation until Easter 2015, but the monastery is open to the public. free.
- 7 Mekanisk Museum, ☏ . Mar 15-Oct 15 10:30-16:30; Mo,Fr off. Old cars and agricultural machines DKK 50.
Try Grønlangkål and Snysk med Flæsk