Kolding is a city of 62,000 people (2020) in Jutland. Visitors come to Kolding to see the 13th century royal castle of Koldinghus, the stone Church of Saint Nicholas, the Trapholt art museum and the gardens Geografisk Have.
Kolding does not have a very big train yard (2 tracks), but trains between Aarhus and Copenhagen normally stop in Kolding. If not, the 2nd-largest train station of the country in Fredericia has a train departing for Kolding every 10 or 20 minutes.
When following the E45 motorway (mid-Juttish motorway), follow motorway exit 62, which should take you directly in to the city at ease.
The nearest big commercial airport near Kolding is Billund (2nd-largest of Denmark). From Billund, either take the train or a bus to Kolding (both easily found. If you can't find one, take a bus to Fredericia and then take the train to Kolding (the personnel will happily help you on your way).
Due to the Bosnian war in the 1990s there are several bus companies, mainly serving the Bosnian diaspora, which provide a cheap and clean way of getting to the other side of the European continent.
Kolding isn't very big, so getting around in the city centre is quite easy. If you wish to go to more remote locations, e.g. the botanical garden of Geografisk Have, buses are cheap and drive all over town. It should also be possible to get a taxi cheaply (by Danish standards. Taxi-driving is mostly very expensive in Denmark.)
As Kolding is not very big, you should somewhat easily be able to get around by foot.
- 1 Koldinghus, Markdanersgade 11, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00 - 17:00. DKK 80 kr for adults, free for children (under 18).
- 2 Geografisk Have, Christian IVs Vej 23, ☏ , email@example.com. 10:00 - 18:00. A botanical garden (in Danish) 60 kr for adults, 20 kr for children (under 18).
- 3 Trapholt. Art museum. 4 km east (Bus number 4 from the station).
- 4 Sankt Nicolai Church, Nicolaiplads 2-4. free. One of the oldest churches in Denmark.
- Vejle-Kolding Football Club. They play in the Danish First Division (next best division), but is still worth a trip.
- 5 Skamlingsbanken, Skamlingvejen 123, Sjølund, firstname.lastname@example.org. Historic viewpoint 8 km south of Kolding. It is the highest point in southern Jutland and has a great view over Kolding, Lillebælt and Funen. Skamlingsbanken was the location for talks and festivals around the 1850-ies and there are many monuments for important Danes. free.
Because most of Kolding's sites are very centralized to the center of the city (Church of St. Nicholas, Koldinghus, Geografisk Have), most travellers will not have to do much travelling once the city has been reached.
Koldinghus is only a few hundred metres from the city center and the church (they form a sort of triangle between them). The botanical garden of Geografisk Have does require either a short bus ride or walk (appx. 5 km or 3 miles).
Kolding also has quite a big swimming facility, Slotssøbadet, which is only a few hundred metres from Koldinghus Castle.
- Slotssøbadet, Hospitalsgade 16, 6000 Kolding, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. 06:00-21:00.
- H&M (Kolding center). 10:00-17:00.
Many restaurants can be found in the city centre of Kolding with various themes: Asian food, pizza, traditional Danish food, American buffets and steak houses can all easily be found in the city center and near the train station.
- Danhostel Kolding Vandrerhjem, Ørnsborgvej 10 (about 15 min walk from centre), ☏ .
The youth hostel on a hill overlooking the center
- Kolding Hotel Apartments, Kedelsmedgangen 2, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 10:00. Apartments in striking architecture, placed i pavilions on a green overlooking the lake. Price per apartment per night from 750 kr (min. 3 nights).
- The town of 6 Christiansfeld, about 15 km south of Kolding. Founded in the 18th century as a planned settlement of the Moravian church, today it's inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Billund with the theme park Legoland.
- Flensburg in Germany, about one hour by car.
- Egeskov Slot one hour by car.Beautiful Castle with big gardens and museum.
- Vejle, The regional capital of south Jutland
|Routes through Kolding|
|Esbjerg ← Vejen ←||W E||→ Fredericia → Copenhagen|
|Aalborg ← Vejle ←||N S||→ Åbenrå → Hamburg|