Get in Edit
There is no railway line to Billund, so all transportation is by road or air.
By plane Edit
- 1 Billund airport (BLL IATA), ☏ . is one of Denmark's busiest airports. The airport is served by many budget and charter airlines, there are also flights by some national carriers like Finnair, SAS Scandinavian Airlines, and KLM, Ryanair also offers flights to Billund.
By car Edit
Billund is situated in the middle of Jutland, this means that there are roads in every direction. Usually tourists coming from other countries will drive along the E45 motorway. If you are coming from the south, drive to Kolding and continue towards Billund. If you are coming from the north or east, turn at Vejle for Billund.
By bus Edit
The airport runs two express shuttle buses to Vejle (30 minutes, 80 DKK) and Aarhus (1½ hours, 180 DKK via Horsens & Skanderborg) several times per day. There are also direct public buses from Billund to Vejle and Grindsted (lines 244 & 907X), Kolding (406, 1 hour) and Horsens (117, 2 hours). All of these buses stop at the airport.
By train Edit
As the train station closed in the 1950s, your only option is the train to Vejle and the bus from there (see above).
Get around Edit
- 1 Ole Kirks Hus (Ole Kirk's Original House), Hovedgaden. Where Lego started. Can only be seen from outside.
- 2 Skulpturstien (Skulpturpark Billund). Path from/to Lalandia and mid town with different outdoor sculptures.
- 3 Grene Sande (Gyttegård Plantage). Inland dunes
Randbøl Hede og Frederikshåb Plantage
- 4 Anlægget (Billund Anlæg). Billund Open Air held here very summer. Naturepark with picnic places, an outdoor scene and sheeps free roaming.
- 1 Legoland Billund, Nordmarksvej 9, ☏ . Hours vary from 10:00-17:00 up to 10:00-20:00 for Jul and start Aug, the park is largely closed Nov-Mar. Denmark's most visited attraction outside Copenhagen, the more than 50 rides and activities are mainly geared towards kids under 15, but parents and adults can gaze at the miniland of famous buildings and places build up of more than 50 million LEGO bricks, while the toddlers queue up for the rides. Kids (3-12): 279 kr; Adults: 299 kr.
- 2 Lego House, Ole Kirks Plads 1 (Middle of the city), ☏ . One can spend a few hours in the lego-themed building. in the two exhibition and four play areas. However the venue is not extremely big and has limited number of visitors per day, thus booking the visit a few days upfront is a good idea. Free entry to the Lego Shop, central square, rooftop playgrounds and the restaurant.
- 3 Lalandia Billund, Ellehammers Allé 3, ☏ . 10-19 (for one day visitors). A resort complex with a 10000-m² indoor tropical waterpark with waterslides, indoor and outdoor pools and Jacuzzis as the main attractions, but there is also a bowling alley, minigolf, playgrounds and a wealth of other family and sports oriented activities available. Kids (3-12): 150 kr, Adults: 200 kr.
- LEGO Factory (LEGO Inside Tour), Åstvej 1. There are numerous 3 day long tour experiences each year. The tour includes local transportation, accommodation, breakfast, meet and greet with the designers etc. The sign up period is done in advance; with the last one being December 6-9, 2022. 14,500 kr per person.
- 4 Teddy Bear Art Museum, Hans Jensensvej 3, ☏ . Kids 80 kr, adults 100 kr.
- 5 Vandel Gokart, Tårnvej 8, ☏ . A big outdoor go kart track for kids from 7 years up and adults. Suitable for individuals as well as groups.
Look at Oplev Billund to see what other activities there are.
Inside Legoland, Lego House and Lalandia there are also restaurants.
More options than in Billund are in Vejle 30 km away, where there are a lot of fine restaurants. They are a little expensive but worth the trip.
A budget alternative is to get some food from the supermarkets:
- 1 SuperBrugsen, Vejlevej 16. Bakery section inside.
- 2 Netto, Hovedgaden 45. Supermarket
- 3 Abc Lavpris, Buen 4. Supermarket
- 4 Rema1000, Vejlevej 6. Supermarket
- 2 Billund Pizza Steakhouse, Hovedgaden 19, ☏ .
- 3 Cafe & Ristorante Bellini, Hovedgade 32B, ☏ .
- 4 Billund bakery and café (Billund Bageri & Cafe), Hovedgaden 20, ☏ .
- 5 Café S, Vejlevej 2, ☏ . Same building as Rema1000
- 6 Refborg Restaurant, Buen 6, ☏ .
- 7 Restaurant Mamas, Gammelbro 34.
The biggest provider is Lalandia (see 'Do') which has hundreds of vacation rentals available, centered around families.
- Billund Bed & Breakfast, Flintemarken 79, ☏ . Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 10:00. Billund Bed and Breakfast is a house at the end of a small road in quiet surroundings. Customers have access to a nice garden, which is adjacent to a very small forest. There is a large carport, a kitchen which is in open connection with a living room and an exit to south-facing terrace. 210 kr per person.
- Hotel Refborg, Buen 6, ☏ . 1195-1795 kr.
- Legoland Village, Ellehammers Allé 2, ☏ . A family "hostel" near the Legoland park, with many family-oriented activities in the summer season. Guest kitchens, laundromats, supermarkets and free access to the public indoor pool from 1-person room 595 kr up to 5-person room 1045 kr.
- Lillevang, Lillevang 67, ☏ . Self-catering apartments in a renovated farm house. 800-1000 kr.
- Hotel Propellen, Nordmarksvej 3, ☏ . This hotel is also near Legoland and the airport. It is kid-friendly, and has family rooms for up to 5 persons, on site restaurant and conference facilities. 1145-4200 kr.
- Hotel Legoland, Aastvej 10, ☏ . The amusement park has a hotel as well. This is a bit more expensive alternative, but worth it trying if you're traveling with kids, and it has rooms for up to 2 adults and 4 kids. 1500-3225 kr.
- Hotel Svanen, Nordmarksvej 8. Restaurant no8 is at this hotel.
Go next Edit
- Vejle, The regional capital of south Jutland.