Sagres (/ˈsa.gɾɨʃ/, SAH-gr(ih)sh) is a civil parish in the municipality of Vila do Bispo. It is the alleged location of the nautical school first developed by Prince Henry the Navigator in the early 1400s. The school itself is vanished; In May 1587, Sir Francis Drake disembarked 800 men who assaulted the Sagres fortress. After two hours of intense combat, the fortress was destroyed and its artillery was pillaged. Salema is also in Vila do Bispo municipality.
The EN268 road connects many locations in the municipality including Vila do Bispo town, Sagres, and Cabo São Vicente.
- Beaches nearby.
- 1 Pizzaria Colombus, Rua S. Vicente (Praça republica-mareta), ☏ . M–W Sa 12:00–16:00 & 18:00–02:00, Th F 12:00–02:00, closed Su. Homemade pizzas, cocktails, breakfast.
- 2 Bossa Nova Pizzeria, Rua Comandante Matoso, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu–Su 17:00–23:00, closed M. The best pizzas in town.
- 1 Mareta Beach Boutique Bed and Breakfast, Praça da República, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Has 18 double rooms fully equipped with air conditioning, plasma tv with satellite, minibar, phone and en-suite bathroom, 14 of them also have sea views.
- 2 Mareta View Boutique Bed and Breakfast, Beco D. Henrique, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Overlooks the white sand of Mareta beach.
- 3 Memmo Baleeira, Sítio da Baleeira (near the port of Baleeira), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Nice and clean design hotel in Sagres with ocean views.
- 4 (Hotel Apartamentos), Rua Infante D. Henrique, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Side by side to Pousada.
- 5 Pousada Sagres, Ponta da Atalaia, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Nice position on the cliff-top overlooking Sagres Fort and the lighthouse of Cape St Vicent.
- 6 Residência Quinta do Poço, N268, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Calm and relaxing vibe. Double with bathroom 30 €.