Vila do Bispo (VEE-luh doo BEESH-poo, /ˈvi.ɫɐ du ˈbiʃ.pu/) municipality has 5,258 people (2011). It's at the southwestern corner on the coast of the Algarve.
The municipality's tourist information office is in Sagres.
Eva Transportes route 47 provides bus service from Lagos to Vila do Bispo.
The main road into Vila do Bispo is EN125, which was the Algarve's principal highway until the motorways were built.
- 1 Capela de Nossa Senhora de Guadalupe (Chapel of Our Lady of Guadalupe), Raposeira (just off the EN 125 road). Chapel reputedly built by the Knights Templar in the 13th century. Prince Henry the Navigator is said to have prayed here. It's a national monument.
- 1 Paintball Clube Vila do Bispo, Rua José Cardoso, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A paintball Club in Vila do Bispo.
- 2 Praia da Salema. Salema's beach is one of the most pleasant and authentic segments of coast in Portugal. The stretch immediately in front of town has beach umbrellas and services in the European style, and while the coastline to the west is fairly rocky, the sandy beachline continues for more than a kilometre to the east. Fishing boats are drawn up on the beach to the side of the town, and several boats and moored fishing buoys are scattered within a few hundred feet of the shoreline, but they add to the ambiance, not detract.
- 1 Atlântico Restaurant & Bar, 1 Rua 28 de Janeiro, Salema, ☏ . 10:00–23:00 daily. A sizable establishment, the Atlantico features a short stairway right down to the beach (and the town's only ATM out front). The seafood, of course, is fresh and tasty, and the restaurant features one of the more well-stocked bars in town. €13-21.
- 2 Restaurante O Lourenço, Rua 28 de Janeiro, Salema (just north of the main harbour, on the back road to Figueira), ☏ . 12:00–23:00 daily. Fantastic venue for fresh fish, beautifully cooked. Great service by friendly waiters. All for a decent price. Sit inside or on the terrace across the cobbled lane.
- 3 Restaurante Mira Mar, Travessa do Mar 1, Salema. 12:00–00:00. Mira Mar is a more expensive but worthwhile proposition, located at the base of Rua de Pescadores, near the beach. Their whitefish is quite tasty, and the bar makes a sangria that will forever alter your sangria standards.
- 4 Pisco, Rua Comandante Matoso 2 (Praça da República), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Th–Tu 18:00–22:00, closed W. Vegetarian Italian restaurant with all dishes cooked with natural ingredients. Lunch menu of the day is cheap and good. €5-10.
- 5 Salema Market, Rua 28 de Janeiro, Salema (partway up Rua de Pescadores), ☏ . M–Sa 09:00–19:00, closed Su. Offers a variety of foods to support your picnicking needs, including bread, olives, wine, cheeses, and other produce.
- 1 A Maré, Praia de Salema, Budens, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A Maré, Praia de Salema. This small set of apartments and rooms sits on a hill overlooking the centre of town, right off the main road into town and above the bus stop. Balconies and breakfast are included in your stay, and fully-furnished pensions, or apartments, are well-maintained and very cozy. €50-90.
- 2 Hotel Mira Sagres, Rua 1º de Maio 3, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. Three-star, 21-room hotel with swimming pool, spa, bar, in-room refrigerator, and free Wi-Fi. €48-103.
- 3 NAU Salema Beach Village, Salema (Praia da Salema, Vila do Bispo), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 4 Hotel Residencial Salema, Rua 28 de Janeiro, Salema, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. R. 28 De Janeiro and Praia Da Salema, 282 695 328. The large building right off the beach and behind The Atlantico is hard to miss. While it's not much to look at, the location and views are fantastic and prices are reasonable. €50-80.