The Northern Part of St. Petersburg is the area north of the Bolshaya Nevka river, which is its boundary with the Petrograd Side to the south. There are some moderately notable landmarks scattered across it, such as the Academy of Forestry with its park, Military Medical Acedemy, Polytechnical University and Buddhist Datsan, particularly in the quarters closer to the central boroughs, but otherwise there is little to see here. It is mostly an urban commuter area of monotonous and often ugly Soviet-era apartment blocks.

The area closer to the Center, bordered by Neva and Bolshaya Nevka, extending approximately to Chyornaya Rechka and Kushelevka stations in the north, and somewhat into Polyustrovo in the north-east, is a historical region of Saint-Petersburg and still known as "Vyborg side" (Выборгская сторона). That is where most sights of Petersburg's North are concentrated. Toward southeast connected with the very little visited Right Bank area. - Official administrative divisions of Saint Petersburg/North are the Kurortny District (Курортный) what is on far Northwest and connected to east with the Vyborgsky District (Выборгский район) and toward Southeast with the Primorsky District (Приморский район). More to the East is the Kalininsky District (Калининский район). And the easternmost part of this area is Krasnogvardeysky District (Красногвардейский район).

Get inEdit

Map of Saint Petersburg/North

By trainEdit

  • 1 Finliandskii Station (Финляндский вокзал), Lenin Square (пл. Ленина, ул. Комсомола), 5 ( : Ploschad Lenina ("Площадь Ленина"). or  : 6,  : 49,  : 38 43  : К28K К32A К37 К106 К107 К137 К178 К254 К530). Built by Finnish State Railways as the eastern terminus of the Riihimäki-Saint Petersburg railroad. It was designed by Swedish architects and opened in 1870. The station formerly contained a special pavilion for Russian royalty.. - Now used again for high speed passenger trains Allegro to Helsinki in Finland. Also trains to Vyborg. Timetable

By metroEdit

The northern termini of metro lines 1, 2 and 5 are in this part of the city.

There are eight metro stations in this area belonging to Line 1:

 :Ploschad Lenina (Площадь Ленина)

 : Vyborgskaya (Выборгская),

 : Lesnaya (Лесная),

 : Ploschad Muzhestva (Площадь Мужества),

 : Polytekhnicheskaya (Политехническая),

 : Akademicheskaya (Академическая),

 : Grazhdansky Prospekt (Гражданский проспект) and

 : Devyatkino (Девяткино).

Six stations of Line 2 are located here:

 : Chyornaya Rechka (Чёрная речка),

 : Pionerskaya (Пионерская),

 : Udelnaya (Удельная),

 : Ozerki (Озерки),

 : Prospekt Prosvecheniya (Проспект Просвещения) and

 : Parnas (Парнас) as well as two stations of Line 5:

 : Staraya Derevnya (Старая Деревня) and

 : Komendantsky Prospekt (Комендантский проспект).


Vyborg SideEdit

Lenin PloschadEdit

  • 1 Monument of The first kilometer post on the Road of Life (Первый мемориальный километровый столб на Дороге Жизни), Lenin Square ( площадь Ленина) ( :Ploschad Lenina (Площадь Ленина)). 24/7. Free.
  • 2 Locomotive H-293 (Паровоз Н-293), Lenin Square ( площадь Ленина) ( :Ploschad Lenina (Площадь Ленина)). 24/7. This was on which Lenin repeatedly returned from exile in Finland. Free.
  • 3 Monument of "Lenin on the armored car" (Памятник «Ленин на броневике»), Lenin Square ( площадь Ленина) ( :Ploschad Lenina (Площадь Ленина)). 24/7. This is one of the key symbols of the Soviet era. In April 1917, when Lenin came back to Russia, spoke in an armored car for workers and presented their own vision of a revolutionary situation, which later entered in the history and the official called "April Theses". Free.
  • 4 Russian Medical Military Academy (Комплекс зданий Военно-медицинская Академия имени С.М.Кирова), Academica Lebedev(ул. Академика Лебедева), 6/8 ( : 6, 20, 23 to 'Площадь Ленина' or  :Ploschad Lenina (Площадь Ленина)). The Kirov Military Medical Academy was established in 1798. Located in Saint-Petersburg North, it trains senior medical staff for the Armed Forces and conducts research in the medical services area for the military. By contemporary standards, it is a full-scale medical school complete with a network of teaching and research clinics and hospitals affiliated to it. Upon graduation, its students are commissioned as officers with medical doctor credentials. The institution also provides advanced training for mid-career military medical doctors and trains graduate students on the Ph.D. level. -
    • 5 The main building with garden (Главное здание с садом парадного двора), Street Academika Lebedev, 6 / Botkin, 8 (ул. Академика Лебедева,/ Боткинская ул.) ( : 6). built in 1799-1803, in Classicist style, architect A.Porto. Rebuilt in 1806-1809. There is a garden with a fountain "Hygieia" (1872- 1873) made by D.I. Yensen.
    • 6 Apartman and laundry building (Дом жилой и прачечная), street Academika Lebedev (ул. Академика Лебедева), 4. corp. 2,3. built in 1893.
    • 7 Kitchen Wing of the Military Paramedic School Building (Кухонный корпус военно-фельдшерской школы), Street Academician Lebedev , 4 (yard). Built in 1805-1806.
    • 8 Building of Military medical assistant school (Здание военно-фельдшерской школы), Street Academika Lebedev, 4. Built in 1805-1809.
    • 9 Orthopedic Clinic (Здание клиники ортопедической), Street Academika Lebedev, 8/Botkinskaya, 13 ( : 6). Built in 1911-1913m
    • 10 Natural History Institute (Естественно-исторический институт), Pirogovskay emb., 1 /Street Academika Lebedev, 2;(Пироговская наб./ ул. Академика Лебедева) ( : К100, К177, К212, К258). Neo-Renaissance building on the Neva River Embankment. Built in 1858-1863. Here lived the famous composer Borodin A.P. between 1863 and 1887.
  • 11 Church of St. Nicholas (Церковь Николая Чудотворца), Street Academika Lebedev (ул. Академика Лебедева), 37а. Built in 1911

Bolshoy Sampsoniyevskiy prospektEdit

  • 12 [dead link] Sampson Cathedral Monument-Museum (Музей-памятник Сампсониевский собор), Bolshoy Sampsoniyevskiy prospekt (Большой Сампсониевский пр.), 41 ( : Vyborgskaya (Выборгская),  : К32, К262. or  : 38 to stop Grenaderskaya ulitsa), +7 812 314-2168, fax: +7 812 314-4153. Mo-Tu, Th-Su 10:00-20:00 (ticket - 19:00).. One of the oldest cathedrals in St. Petersburg. - June 27, 1709 Russian troops under the leadership of Peter I at Poltava Swedish army was defeated. In connection with this event was the emperor decided to build a new temple in the capital. Because June 27 on the church calendar is a day of remembrance of the Reverend Sampson the Hospitable, the new church was decided to give it a name.- The Cathedral is a branch of the Museum of St. Isaac's Cathedral. - The cathedral consists of three buildings - the main temple, the bell tower and chapel.
    • Cathedral of Sampson the Hospitable (Собор Сампсония Странноприимца). Built in Baroque style in 1728-1740. The entire cathedral complex harmoniously painted light blue. Cathedral is a single storey building on a belt rubble basement of flaky plates with limestone plinth and brick. Bulbous dome of the cathedral, closely-assembled on a single drum, located in the center of the roof, giving the cathedral a few quirky and unconventional form.
    • Belfry (Колокольня). built in the Baroque style at the same time to the cathedral in 1728-1740. Bell tower is divided into three tiers. The lower tier has two lateral extensions, and therefore becomes wider the other top two. In the middle tier has an arched doorway and driveway. The second and third tiers are decorated with pilasters.
    • Chapel (Часовня). Built in Baroque style in 1909
    • Forged Iron Fence with a gate (Ограда с воротами). Constructed in 1909
    • Grave Monument (Памятник на могиле А. П. Волынского, А. Ф. Хрущова и П. М. Еропкина). 1885.
  • 13 Sampson garden (Сампсониевский сад). Located on the site of the old cathedral cemetery. In the park stay a monument to the first builders of St. Petersburg.
  • 14 Monument to Peter I. (Памятник Петру I.), Bolshoy Sampsoniyevskiy prospekt ~34. 1909.
  • 15 A bust monument to Smolyachkova F.A. (Памятник-бюст Смолячкову Ф. А.), Bolshoy Sampsoniyevskiy prospekt (сквер на Бол.Сампсониевском пр.) ~42. Who was a pioneer of sniper movement. 1968.
  • 16 Church of Anna Kashinskaya, at the yard of Vvededno-Oyatskovo convent (Церковь Анны Кашинской, при подворье Введено-Оятского женского монастыря), Bolshoy Sampsoniyevskiy prospekt (Большой Сампсониевский пр.), 53 ( : Vyborgskaya (Выборгская)). Church with a bell tower built in the neo-Russian style in 1901-1902 and 1907-1909
  • 17 Former Barracks of the Moscow (Lithuanian) Regiment (Здания казарм Московского (Литовского) полка), Bolshoy Sampsoniyevskiy prospekt (Большой Сампсониевский пр.), 59-63; Ulitsa Litovskaya (Литовская ул.), 2 ( : Vyborgskaya (Выборгская), or  : 20 or 38 to stop 'Литовская улица'). This is a complex of buildings made of red brick with white decor. Barracks were built in 1830s, in classicist style. The complex consists of six of the same type,rectangular, 2- and 3-storey buildings. - Since 1909 the barracks building occupies by the Military Institute of Physical Culture.
  • 18 Alexander Matrosov Monument (Памятник Александру Матросову), At the intersection of Bolshoy Sampsoniyevskiy prospekt and Ulitsa Alexander Matrosov ( : 20 or 38 to stop 'Улица Александра Матросова'). 24/7. He is awarded with title 'Hero of the Soviet Union' Free.
  • 19 Lenin House (Дом, в котором находилась последняя нелегальная квартира В.И.Ленина), Ulitsa Serdobol'skaya (Сердобольская ул.),1. (From  : Vyborgskaya (Выборгская) take Bus 86 or  : 20; suburban train to Lanskaya (Ланская) station). Here was an illegal apartment for Lenin. From here went to Smolny to lead an armed uprising, on 24 October 1917. In the small garden in front of the house is a bust of Lenin.
Forestry Academy Park
  • 20 Forestry University (LTA) (Forestry Academy, Лесотехнический университет ( ЛТА), popularly Sawmill, «лесопилка»), Institutskii Pereulok (Институтский пер.), 5 ( : Polytekhnicheskaya (Политехническая) further  : 34 or from  : Ploschad Muzhestva (Площадь Мужества) take  : 6), +7 812 670-9318, . This are was part of the "English farm" Captain Alexander Davidson, in the 1800s. - LTA is one of the oldest industry teaching schools in Europe. Academy was founded in 1803 in Tsarskoye Selo, and since 1811 located here. The Academy became a source of manpower for science in the field of forestry. Four study buildings are surrounded with a beautiful park (65 ha), founded in 1827, a jewel of gardening art of XIX century, also very popular as recreational area.
    • Main building (Главный корпус), Institutskii Pereulok (Институтский пер.), 5/1. By A.D.Nellingerom and I.F.Lukini architects were built four separate academic corps in 1826-1833. In the years 1838-1840 the four separate buildings were rebuilt and concatenated into a single, which survived until today.
      • Forestry Museum (Музей лесоводства), Institutskii Pereulok (Институтский пер.), 5 (Main building). Mo-Sa 09:00-16:30 (by appointment).
      • Borodin herbarium (Гербарий имени И.П. Бородина Санкт-Петербургского Лесотехнического университета;), Institutskii Pereulok (Институтский пер.), 5 (Main building).
      • Museum of forest entomology (Музей лесной энтомологии), Institutskii Pereulok (Институтский пер.), 5/1 (Main building).
    • 21 Corps 2 (Корпус 2), Institutskii Pereulok (Институтский пер.), 5/2. Built in the 1900s. Brick Building with elements of wooden architecture.
    • 22 Small Building (Малый корпус), Institutskii Pereulok (Институтский пер.), 5/10. Built in 1832-1834. Wood. Architect A.D.Nellinger.
    • 23 Hospital with pharmacy (Больница с аптекой), Institutskii Pereulok (Институтский пер.), 5/7. Built in 1883-1885. Brick and wooden building built in the eclectic style.
    • 1st corps Assistant or outbuilding? (1-й Корпус ассистентский), Institutskii Pereulok (Институтский пер.), 5. Built in 1900-1903. A red brick building built in Art Nouveau style.
    • Former Water Tower (Башня водонапорная). The brick Tower was built in 1907-1909. - It reaches a height of 30m and was initially assumed that the tower will be used to supply the Institute with artesian water, but the water quality was poor, and rebuilt for a meteorological observatory.
  • 24 Forestry University Park (Парк Лесотехнического университета). Developed in 1827-1830. - In the park are 6 beautiful ponds with canals, these artificially dug in the 19th century. One of them,-the most famous,- is the Jordan Pond (Иорданский пруд), what used for religious procession.
    • 25 Botanical Garden (Ботанический сад).
    • Monument to the Heroes of the October Revolution (Памятник Героям Октябрьской революции.). 1953
    • Granite stele (Гранитная стела на месте дуэли К.П.Чернова и В.Д. Новосильцева, флигель-адьютанта Александра I). 1988
    • Bunkers from the time of the Great Patriotic War (Объекты со времен Великой Отечественной войны).
  • 26 Orlov-Novosiltsevskaya almshouse (Орлово-Новосильцевская богадельня), Prospekt Engelsa (пр.Энгельса), 1-5 ( : "Удельная" further  : 86.). This complex include three building with wrought iron fence and garden, in 1930s.

Neva River embankments and Neva BayEdit

  • 27 Liteyny Bridge (Литейный мост), Liteynyy prospekt. Schedule of the bridge wiring: 01:50-04:40. This is the second permanent bridge across the Neva river in Saint Petersburg, Russia. It connects Liteyny Prospekt with Vyborgsky district. The bridge's length is 396 meters, the width is 34m. At the vicinity of the Liteyny Bridge, the Neva river reaches the maximum depth of 24m. -
  • 28 Pirogovskaya embankment (Пироговская набережная) ( : Выборгская, metro Площадь).
    • 29 Sampson bridge (Sampsonievskiy Most, Сампсониевский мост, мост Свобо́ды), Finlyandskiy prospekt (Tram 6). Schedule of the bridge wiring: 02:10-02:45, 03:20-04:25. Former Freedom bridge (мост Свобо́ды, 1918—1993 ) and Vyborgskiy Bridge ( Вы́боргский мост, 19th cent.) - Connects the right bank of the Neva River and the Petrograd island through Bolshoy Neva, linking Vyborg and Petrograd districts of St. Petersburg. The length 215m (193m), width of the bridge 27.7m. This is a metal girder five-span bridge.
  • 30 Building Complex of the Community Hospital of Sisters of Charity of St.George (Здание водолечебницы комплекса зданий больницы Общины сестер милосердия св. Георгия), Pirogovskaya embankment, 7. 1889-1892
  • 31 ME Karra sugar factory (Комплекс зданий сахарного завода М. Е. Карра), Pirogovskaya embankment, 13.
  • 32 D. Lebedev Forestry factory, Mansion and management office (Особняк и заводоуправление Лесопильного завода и Льноджутовой мануфактуры Д. Н. Лебедева.), Pirogovskaya embankment, 17.
  • 33 "Ludvig Nobel" mechanical factory, Mansion and management office (Особняк и заводоуправление Механического завода "Людвиг Нобель"), Pirogovskaya embankment, 19. Built in 1873-1874, 1902-1903
  • 34 Former Camaraderie Sampsonievskaya Cotton Manufactory (Lancaster Court Hotel, Жилое и конторское здание товарищества Сампсониевской бумагопрядильной мануфактуры, «Ланкастер Корт Отель»), Fokine (ул. Фокина), 3. Built in 1914. In 2007 rebuilt in Art Nouveau style to Lancaster Court Hotel
  • 35 Grenaderskiy Bridge (Гренадерский мост), Grenaderskiy. Schedule of the bridge wiring: 02:45–03:45; 04:20–04:50. built in 1971-1974. One of the three bridges across the Bolshaya Neva River, connecting Petrograd and Viborg side.
  • 36 Vyborg Embankment (Выборгская набережная), Vyborg Embankment ( : «Выборгская»,  : «Чёрная речка»,  : «Лесная»). stretches from the Grenadier bridge to the confluence of Bolshaya Neva River and Black River. On the waterfront and its adjacent streets are still preserved historic buildings industrial architecture of 1950s-1910s years.
  • 37 Cotton Manufactory of K.V. Gerhard (Бумагопрядильная мануфактура К. В. Гергарда), Vyborg Embankment, 39-41. Built in 1880, 1888
  • 38 Former Cotton Manufactory "Nevka" (Комплекс зданий бумагопрядильной мануфактуры "Невка"), Vyborg Embankment, 49. 1949. Industrial architecture's Monument. Now it is a Business Center
  • 39 Vyborg (Mykolaiv) cotton-spinning manufactory. "Voronin, Lyutsh and Chesher" JSC (Выборгская (Николаевская) бумагопрядильная мануфактура АО "Воронин, Лютш и Чешер"), Vyborg Embankment, 51-53. Built in 1899, 1907
  • 40 Kantemirovsky bridge (Кантемировский мост), Vyborg Embankment ( : Лесная further  : 31. or Share taxi: К10, К131, К149, К175A, К223, К369). Schedule of the bridge wiring: 02:45–03:45; 04:20–04:50. This bridge connecting Vyborg and the Petrograd side. Built in 1979-1982. This is a drawbridge with 33m long main span. The total length is 312m (with access ramps - 664m, of which over a riverbed - 198m), width is 31m.
  • 41 Golovin's Cottage (Дача Головина), Vyborg Embankment, 63 ( : Лесная). Built in 1823-1824
Arsenal EmbankmentEdit
  • 42 Main Building with garden of the Mikhailovsky Military Artillery University (Главный корпус с садом Михайловского военного артиллерийского университета), Arsenal naberezhnaya (Арсенальная набережная), 15 (M Ploshchad' Lenina). 1829, 1893-1900
  • Descent to Neva near Lenin Square (Спуск к Неве у площади Ленина) (M Ploshchad' Lenina).
  • 43 Remains of Prison Complex No.1 "Kresty" (Gulag No.1, Комплекс зданий следственного изолятора № 1 «Кресты»), Arsenal naberezhnaya (Арсенальная набережная), 7 (M Ploshchad' Lenina).
    • 44 Houses guards (Дома для надзирателей), Arsenal naberezhnaya (Арсенальная набережная), 7 ( : 23, 30 to stop Улица Михайлова). 1884-89
    • Entrance and Guards Apartmans (Входное здание с квартирами для надзирателей.), Arsenal naberezhnaya, 7. 1884-1889
    • Alexander Nevsky Church (Церковь во имя святого благоверного князя Александра Невского), Arsenal naberezhnaya, 7. 1884-1889
  • Prisoner's housing (Арестантские корпуса), Arsenal naberezhnaya, 7.


A historical part of the Vyborgsky District. The nearest metro station is  : Udelnaya (Удельная). - Geographical boundaries: in the north - Manchesterskaya street (Манчестерская улица); in the east - Prospekt Toreza (проспект Тореза) and street Karbysheva; in the south - Novorossiyskaya street (Новороссийская улица), in the west - Prospekt Engels (проспект Энгельса).

  • 45 Bertlinga Mansion (Дача Г. Г. Бертлинга), Bolotnaya Street (Болотная ул.), 13 ( : 38, 40, 55, 61 or Trolley 4, 13, 21 Shared taxi К9K, К123, К150, К152, К223, К271, К322 to stop 'Площадь Мужества'), +7 812 2974259. Sa-W 10:00-18:00, Fr 10:00-17:00. A branch of the Museum of Political History of Russia
  • 46 Church of the Transfiguration in the Forest district (Церковь Преображения в Лесном), Orbeli Street (ул. Орбели,) 25/1 ( : Площадь Мужества + : 40,55 to 'Улица Орбели' or  : 'Пионерская').
  • 47 Silver garden pond (Sad Serebryanovo pruda, Сад Серебряного пруда). Landscaped park, erected in 1865 on the territory of the Lesnoy (Forest) district. - Here is "The memory of my childhood" Sculpture (2002).
  • 48 Former Mansion of the merchant Dmitrya Alekseevicha Kotlova (Особняк купца Дмитрия Алексеевича Котлова, Центральная районная библиотека имени А. С. Серафимовича), Prospekt Toreza (проспект Тореза,) 8 ( : Ploschad Muzhestva (Площадь Мужества) or  : 38, 40, 55, 61 or Trolley 4, 13, 21 Shared taxi К9K, К123, К150, К152, К223, К271, К322 to stop 'Площадь Мужества'). Built in 1913-1914. Since 1940s the mansion housed Central Regional Library named after A. Serafimovicha..


  • 49 Kushelevka Station (Станция «Кушелевка») ( : 'Лесная' or  : 'Площадь Мужества' +  : 38, 48, 61 to 'Железнодорожная станция Кушелевка'). A Railway junction station on the 'Road of Life' which played a major role to provide the city with food and weapons during the siege of Leningrad in WWII. - Suburban trains to Lake Ladoga (Ладожское Озеро), Vaskelovo (Васкелово), Nevskaya Dubrovka (Невская Дубровка), Petrokrepost (Петрокрепость), Priozersk (Приозерск).
  • 50 Kushelevskiy Bakery (Bread factory) (Кушелевский хлебозавод), Polytechnicheskaya Street (Политехническая улица), 11 ( : 38, 61 to 'Политехническая улица/ Новороссийская улица' or  : 'Площадь Мужества' 0.7km). Built in 1930s. During the Siege of Leningrad, this bakery provides food for the population of the besieged city, for soldiers of the Leningrad front and for Baltic sailors.
  • Monument of the Blockade bread (Памятник блокадному хлебу). Made in 1998. A girl squeezes tightly in his hands a piece of bread, warming him and trying not to drop away.
  • 51 [dead link] Voeikova Geophysical Observatory (Главная геофизическая обсерватория им. А.И.Воейкова), Street Karbysheva (Карбышева ул.), 7 ( : 'Лесная' or  : 'Площадь Мужества' +  : 38, 48, 61 to 'Железнодорожная станция Кушелевка'), +7 812 297-8670, +7 812 297-4390, fax: +7 812 297-8661. Founded by Emperor Nicholas I in 1849.- Located here since 1942.
    • Geophysical Museum (Музей), Street Karbysheva (Карбышева ул.), 7 (See above), +7 812 297-4390. by appointment.


Historic district north of Viborgsky area.

  • 52 Monument of Orbeli L.A. (Памятник-бюст Орбели Л.А.), Prosp. Toreza (проспект .Тореза), 44 ( : 'Политехническая' 1,2км,  : Площадь Мужества 1,4км). 24/7. 1969 Free.
  • 53 [formerly dead link] Park of Sosnovka (Парк Сосновка), Northern Avenue/Severnyy prospekt(Северный проспект). Area 302 hektar.
    • 54 Monument of "Airfield of Sosnovka" (Памятник «Аэродром Сосновка»), Zhaka Dyuklo Street (ул. Жака Дюкло), (Alleya Heroeva and Alleya Raevskovo cnr), +7 812 510-60-59.
    • 55 Military cemetery of Sosnovka (Воинское кладбище Сосновка).
    • 56 Park 'Chansyn' (Парк «Чансын»), at the corner of Prospekt Svetlanovsky and Prospekt Toreza. (southern part of the park). This is a wooden sculpture of mythical Korean spirits
  • 57 Tserkov' Derzhavnoy ikony Bozhiyey Materi, Prospekt Kultury (просп. Культуры), 4/3 (Tram 9, 55, 61 to 'Проспект Культуры/ Проспект Луначарского').
  • 58 Murinskiy park, From Lunacharskovo prospekt to Severnyy prospekt(Северный проспект(пр. Луначарского до Северного пр.) ( : 9, 55, 61 to 'Улица Академика Байкова'), +7 812 540-0169.
  • 59 Polytechnic University (Политехнический университет), Ulitsa Polytekhnicheskaya (ул. Политехническая), 29 ( : 'Политехническая', or Trolley 4, 21, 13, 34, 50 or  : 61, 38, 55, 40 to 'Станция метро Политехническая').
    • 60 The main building, Historical-Technical Museum of Sankt-Petersburg State Technical University (Главное здание, Историко-технический музей Санкт-Петербургского государственного технического университета). By appointment.
    • 61 Park (Парк.). There is Memorial students, faculty and staff, who died during the Great Patriotic War. Made in 1967; - The memorial "Well of Life"
    • Intercession Church (Церковь Покрова). built in 1913-1914. Dome (single tower) church
    • Former Bath (Баня.). built in 1902, now is an office building
  • 62 Ioffe Institute (Физико-технический институт имени Иоффе), Ulitsa Polytekhnicheskaya (ул. Политехническая), 26 (Near to the Polytechnic University - : 'Политехническая', or Trolley 4, 21, 13, 34, 50 or  : 61, 38, 55, 40 to 'Станция метро Политехническая'). This is an Engineering Institute. Former asylum for the aged poor hereditary nobility of St. Petersburg province. Built in neoclassical style in 1912-1916 by architect GD Grimm. - Building facades are located on two streets - Polytechnicheskuyu and Kurcheshatova. There is a decorative metal fence. Right from the main building in 1970-1980s built a modern multi-storey building of glass and concrete. At the Institute are monuments to prominent physicists, such as a bust monument of AF Ioffe from 1964 and another bust monument to Academician Konstantinov (Памятник-бюст Иоффе А.Ф., Памятник-бюст академику Б.П.Константинову).


  • 63 Udelnaya railway station (Zheleznodorozhnaya stantsiya Udelnaya, Здание железнодорожной станции Удельная), Fermskoye shosse, ~39 ( : Udelnaya «Удельная» or  : 9 'Станция метро Удельная'). Suburban trains to Vyborg, Zelenogorsk, Kannelyarvi, Kirillovskoe, Roshino (Выборг, Зеленогорск, Каннельярви, Кирилловско, Рощино) settlements-
  • 64 Udelnaya Park (Park Udelnyy, Удельный парк), Fermskoye shosse (Фермское ш.), 21 ( : Udelnaya «Удельная» ?SW 0.5km).
  • 65 Prince Alexander's insane Poorhouse Building Complex? (Ансабль дома призрения душевнобольных цесаревича Александра), Fermskoe Highway, (Fermskoye shosse, Фермское шоссе,) 36 (From  : Udelnaya «Удельная» N 200m, Shared Taxi К40, К243, К244, К282 to 'Дом Ветеранов').
    • Church of Saint Panteleimon (Церковь Святого Пантелеймона). The church was founded in 1870 as part of project to provide St.Petersburg with one of its first - and largest - psychiatric hospitals and as a personal gesture of thanksgiving on the part of the Tsarevitch Alexander (later Tsar Alexander III), to mark his recovery from serious illness.
      Designed by the architect I.V. Strom, church and hospital were consecrated on October 23rd 1871, in the presence of the Tsarevitch: a church in the rustic style with golden domes facing a complex of wooden pavilions surrounded by shady trees.
      The icon of its patron saint was brought to the church from the Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos and remained there until the church was closed in 1929. St.Pantaleimon, a martyr of the first century AD had been educated as a physician and “treated all those who turned to him without charge, healing them in the name of Jesus Christ.”
      The hospital’s fees of around 500 roubles per annum limited its use to the nobility, clergy and merchant classes. Initially designed to accommodate 110 patients, by the end of the 19th century their number had increased to 350. A number of buildings from the original hospital complex still surround the church. An enlarged psychiatric hospital on a separate site was built in 1885 and has been rebuilt and extended into the present day.
      The church was closed in 1929 and was used as a storeroom. It became subject to decay until its restoration after being returned to the Church in 1990. The cross was raised on the restored church in June 2006 and in the following year a monument to Alexander III, destroyed in 1936, was restored to its site in front of the church.
    • Bust monument to Emperor Alexander III (Памятник-бюст императору Александру III). Made in 1895, renovated 2007
    • A pavilion for 'quiet noble titles' (Павильон для тихих благородного звания.). Wooden Architecture. built in 1870-1871
    • Pavilion for 'quiet simple title'? (Павильон для тихих простого звания). Wooden Architecture. Built in 1870-1871
    • Pavilion for thirty pensioner - women (Павильон для 30 своекоштных пансионеров – женщин). This is a wooden architecture, built in 1874
    • The powerhouse (Здание силовой станции). 1886-1887
    • House of Retirements for '48 male patients' (Пансионерский дом для 48 больных мужчин). 1892-1895
    • Central laundry (Здание центральной прачечной). 1899-1900
    • House of Retirements for 60 female patients (Пансионерский корпус для 60 больных женщин). 1899-1900
    • An individual building (Индивидуальный корпус). 1901
    • Building for female patients (Freylinsky) (Корпус для больных женщин («фрейлинский»).). 1903-1906
    • Building for female patients (Officers) (Корпус для больных мужчин («офицерский»).). 1903-1906
  • 66 Demetrios Church (Церковь Димитрия Солунского), 1-ya Nikitinskaya str. (1-я Никитинская ул.), 1a ( : Udelnaya «Удельная» and walk 1km to west, or Shared Taxi К85, К91a, К282, К308, К371 to 'Улица Шарова' 50m), +7 812 302-3461, . This is a wood church, built in 1905—1906

Ozerki - ShuvalovoEdit

Ozerki (Russian: Озерки) is a village in Razmetelevskoye Settlement Municipal Formation of Vsevolozhsky District. Vsevolozhsky District (Russian: Все́воложский райо́н) is an administrative and municipal district (raion), one of the seventeen in Leningrad Oblast. How the district name suggests, its main attraction is the water. The landscape of Surroundings and the Suzdal Lakes are a favorite holiday destination of St. Petersburg residents in all seasons. In Ozerki were built mostly one-story wooden private houses with homestead gardens. In the twenty-first century, the former village-like buildings are replaced by typical 'Soviet Union style', faceless buildings, which are lined with neighboring areas. Greens blooming gardens replaced deaf and high brick fences "cottages-locks".

  • 67 Poklonnaya Gora (Victory Park, Поклонная гора) (ulitsa Sikeyrosa and prospekt Engelsa corner area). The highest point of the North Saint Petersburg, which offers a beautiful view of the surrounding gardens and parks, regions and blue expanse of water Suzdal Lakes .
  • 68 Suzdalskye Lakes (Suzdalskiye ozyora, Суздальские озера), Vyborgskoye shosse, Ulitsa Bolshaya Ozernaya (Выборгское шоссе, Большая Озерная ул.) 2 ( : Moskovsko-Petrogradskaya (Московско-Петроградская) line, Ozerki «Озерки» Stn.).
    • 69 Upper Suzdal Lake (Verkhnee Suzdalskoye ozero, Верхнее Суздальское озеро) ( : Ozerki «Озерки» Stn. or  : 58 to 'Станция метро Озерки'). This is - the most popular among residents of the three lakes . Lake is the closest to the metro station , which is very important for vacationers. On the southern shore of the lake located a comfortable beach . On the north shore , of slender pines, located an indoor tennis court.
    • 70 Middle Suzdal Lake (Среднее Суздальское озеро) ( : Ozerki «Озерки» Stn. 0.5km or  : 58 to 'Проспект Луначарского/ Выборгское шоссе'). TThis is - the small group of lakes. On the southern shore of the lake is an indoor tennis court
    • 71 Lower Suzdal Lake (Нижнее Суздальское озеро), Vyborgskoye shosse, ~110-120 ( : Ozerki «Озерки» Stn. 1.5km or  : 58 to 'Проспект Просвещения/ Выборгское шоссе'). The largest of the lakes. On the southern shore of the lake is Shuvalovskoye Cemetery (kladbishche).


Pargolovo (Russian: Парголово, Karelian: Parkola, Finnish: Parkala) is a municipal settlement in the Vyborgsky District of Saint Petersburg. Here was former a city named 'Nienschanz'(Ниеншанц). Until the 1700s, this area was inhabited by Finnish peoples, they founded here a settlement on the banks of the river Starozhilovki. These times remind - 'the Finnish lake' (Финское озеро), what is the name of one of the lakes on the outskirts of Pargolovo. The Finnish lake former name was Finn Lake (Чухонским озеро). The local population in this settlement differ from other part of Saint Petersburg, in their customs and behavior. Until 1997, it was the city's northern suburb. Pargolovo was a family seat of the junior line of the Counts Shuvalov, starting with Peter Ivanovich Shuvalov who received the Pargolovo manor from Empress Elizabeth in 1746. His Baroque palace was rebuilt by Stepan Krichinsky (1874-1923) as a Neoclassical villa for the estate's last owner, Count Illarion Ivanovich Vorontsov-Dashkov. A smaller palace, designed by Harald Julius von Bosse, dates from the mid-19th century. - Just west of Pargolovo lies the Northern Cemetery, the second largest in Saint Petersburg. It was established in 1874. Notable burials include Georgy Gapon (1906), a Russian Orthodox priest and a popular working class leader; - Vasily Vereshchagin (1909), one of the most famous Russian war artists; - Vladimir Propp (1970), a Soviet formalist scholar who analyzed the basic plot components of Russian folk tales; - Mikhail Artamonov (1972),a Soviet historian and archaeologist, who came to be recognized as the founding father of modern Khazar studies; - Alexander Belov (1978), a Soviet basketball player; - Sergey Filippov (1990), a Soviet film and theatre actor.

  • Half Millenium Memorial Stone, Vyborg highway (Vyborgskoye shosse) (at the exit of St. Petersburg on the Karelian Isthmus). A granite stone. Made for 500th Anniversary of the founding of the city.
  • 72 Shuvalovskiy park (Шуваловский парк), Vyborgskoye shosse (Выборгское шоссе)', ~210-250 (To southern part  : Parnass 'Парнас' 2km East -  : 58 or shared taxi К01, К02, К259, К261, К433, К434, К436, К436B, К455, К456, К555A, К673, К675, К676, К678 to stop 'Универсам (Выборгское шоссе)' - To northern part take shared taxi К02 to stop 'Пляжевая улица'). The Shuvalov Park also contains a network of old ponds; the Yellow Dacha, a wooden lodge designed by Maximilian Messmacher for his own family; the Parnassus hill, which used to offer views of the capital's downtown; and the Church of Sts. Peter and Paul, built in the 1840s to a Gothic Revival design by Alexander Brullov. It was at this church that Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov married Nadezhda Purgold in 1872.
    • 73 Worship cross, Peter & Paul Church (Поклонный крест и Церковь Петра и Павла), Ulitsa Vologdyna. This was built in 1831-1839, in Pseudo-Gothic style
    • 74 Big Palace (Большой дворец) (West from Small Palace). Extant building of the palace built 1912-1914 years on the site burned down the palace of the second half of the XIX century
    • 75 Kitchen house (Кухонный дом). Attached outbuilding to the western part of the Grand Palace in the 1760s
    • 76 Small Palace, White House (Малый дворец, «Белый дом»). This was built in the 1830s rebuilt later in 1860s-1900s;
    • V.P.Vologdinu (Памятник В.П.Вологдину), Ulitsa Vologdyna (50 m south from Worship cross - At the main entrance to the Big Palace;). Soviet scientist in the field of high technology,
  • 77 Pond Hat Napoleon, Shuvalovsky Park (Southern part).
    • "Sealed envelope" Meadow (Луг «Запечатанный конверт»). 1910s. - Before the Small Palace located meadow with five fir trees - four at the corners and fifth in the center, that is shaped like an envelope
    • 78 Tuff Arch (Grotto "Echo", Туфовая арка, грот «Эхо») (Between Big and Small Palace). This is a ruins of a brick arch built in 1863. Arch got its name on the material facing arch (tuff) which was lined with masonry. That had a distinct echo.
    • 79 Stable yard (Здание конного двора) (East from Small Palaace). built in 1907
    • Home of gardener (Дом садовника). 1910
    • Fence (Ограда).
    • Old Parnassus Mount (Гора Старый Парнас).
    • Stone staircase (Каменная лестница).
    • New Parnassus Mount (Гора Новый Парнас). This is an artificial hill height of 63 m. South of its are two artificial reservoirs: Napoleon's Hat and Napoleon's Shirt.
    • Cold Bath Ruins (Холодная баня). Built in 1912
    • Stone Memorial (Каменная скамья). 1908-1916
    • Tomb of Adolf (Склеп-грот «Адольфа» («Могила Адольфа»)). Built in 1830s.
    • Granite bridge (Гранитный мостик). Early 20th century.
    • 80 Finnish (Finn) lake and Hill of Adolfova (Финское (Чухонское) озеро и Адольфова гора), Ulitsa Nekrasova (shared taxi K02 to 'улица Ломоносова'). This is a lake with an island on the edge of the park and with a small hill
    • 81 Yellow Dacha (Cottage of G.E.Mesmahera, Жёлтая дача, Дача Г.Е.Месмахера). 1900-1902
  • 82 Church of St. Joasaph of Belgorod (Церковь святого Иоасафа Белгородского), (Парголово, улица Ленина), 6 (Bus 397 to 'Хабаровская улица').


Piskarevskoye Memorial Cemetery
  • 83 Piskaryovskoye Memorial Cemetery, Prospekt Nepokorennikh 72 ( : Ploschad Muzhestva (Площадь Мужества) further bus 80, 123, К-123.), +7 812 297-5716. Opened on May 9, 1960. About 420,000 civilians and 50,000 soldiers of the Leningrad Front buried in 186 mass graves. At the entrance, an eternal flame. No one is forgotten, nothing is forgotten.

Northern PrimorskayaEdit

  • 84 Serafimovskoe Memorial Cemetery (Серафимовское мемориальное кладбище), Zausadebnaya ( Заусадебная улица), 33 ( : Chyornaya Rechka (Чёрная речка) or  : 19 to 'Платформа 11-й километр'), +7 812 4303151. A historic cemetery.    
    • 85 Church Serafyma Sarovskovo (Eastern mid part of the Cemetery).
  • 86 Church of the Annunciation Our Lady in the Old Village ? (Tserkov Blagveschniya Presviatoi Bogorodytsy v Staroi Derevne, Церковь Благовещения Пресвятой Богородицы в Старой Деревне), Primorsky Prospekt ((Приморский пр.), 79 ( : Staraya Derevhna «Старая Деревня» -  : 21, 48 to 'Улица Покрышева'). Built in 1805-1809, designed by V.O.Mochulskogo. In the XIX century this temple was popular with all who attended this holiday suburb of St. Petersburg. When Alexander Pushkin been here in 1836 and walk through the cemetery dedicated its, a poem "When out of town, thoughtful, I wander."
  • 87 Site of Pushkin’s Duel (Место дуэли А.С.Пушкина) ( : Chyornaya Rechka (Чёрная речка)). A granite obelisk on the place where Pushkin was shot, perpetually adorned with fresh flowers. Leave the station, walk down Torzhkovskaya street, and turn left at the first light on Novosibirskaya street. Walk straight to the end of the road, cross the railway tracks and enter the park. The monument is across the park, to the left.
    • Bell tower and sacristy (Колокольня и ризница). 1900-1901 by Architect Teplov V.K.
  • 88 Datsan Gunzechoinei (Buddhist Temple, Budisky Khram, Колокольня и ризница), Primorsky Prospekt 91 ( : Chyornaya Rechka (Чёрная речка),  : 21, 48 to stop 'ЦПКиО'). This temple opened in 1913 and considered the northernmost Buddhist temple in Russia. Though not on the island and, strictly speaking, not on the Petrograd Side, is right across the Bolshaya Nevka 50 m from the northern footbridge.    

Komendantskiy aerodromeEdit

A historic district in the northwestern part of the city. First mentioned in 1700s. In the first and second World War, here was a military airfield. - Getting here take  : (Московско-Петроградская линия) to Pyonerskaia («Пионерская») Station

  • Matsievich Garden (Сквер Мациевича), Street Aerodromnaya (Аэродромная ул.,13).


Historical quarter (former independent town) and one of the oldest settlements on the shores of the Gulf of Finland. The first mention of a small village dates from the beginning of the XVI century. Translated from the Finnish Lahti - bay word. Peter I. often stopped here, His Lahti's residence, called "near Oaks" («Ближние Дубки»). The Palace stood near to the Bayshore, and behind the palace there was a garden with greenhouses. From the Lahti to north adjoins the largest green area of ​​the city - the Yuntolovsky Reserve (Юнтоловский заказник). Getting here: from the Finlandskaya Station take an eleektrichka toward Kirovsko-Vyborg and get off at Platform 'Lahta'(«Лахта»). - Or go to  : Chernaya Rechka Stn. further by Bus 211. - From  :Staraya Derevhnya («Старая деревня») take a bus 110,120, 216.

  • Yuntolovsky Reserve (Юнтоловский заказник). Protected Areas area of ​​976.8 hectares.
  • 89 Bay of Lahta Lake (Озеро Лахтинский разлив) (Suburb train to 'Лахта').
  • Church of St. Peter, the Apostle remains (Церковь Святого апостола Петра).


  • Olgino (Russian: О́льгино) is a historical area in Lakhta-Olgino Municipal Okrug, located south-west of the area of Lakhta and east of Lisy Nos. Foremer it was a prosperous dacha village. Part of the hip Rublyovka or Rublevka (the Russian Beverly Hills), where are residences of many Government officials and successful businesspeople. Real estate prices there are some of the highest in the world. - Get in: take an electric train toward Sestroretsk directions from the Finland Station to the platform "Olgino". Or from  : Chyornaya Rechka (Чёрная речка) take bus 211. Or from  : Staraya Derevnya (Старая Деревня) take bus 110, 120, 216
  • Former dacha of Lenin
  • Former dacha of Stalin
  • Summer residence of Nikita Khrushchev
  • Summer residence of Mikhail Gorbachev
  • Putin’s and Medvedev’s residences
  • Peter Pond (Петровский пруд) (take an electric train toward Sestroretsk directions from the Finland Station to the platform 'Morskaya'). There is a huge granite boulder, which served as the base of the monument to Peter I 'The Bronze Horseman' what is the symbol of St. Petersburg.
  • Former country estate of Count A.V.Stenbok-Fermora (Бывшая загородная усадьба графа А.В.Стенбок-Фермора), Lakhtinskiy Prospekt (Лахтинский пр.), 104. This is a two-story stone mansion built in the 1890s.

Lisy NosEdit


  • [dead link] Vyborg's Palace of Culture (Дворец культуры Выборгский), St. Commissioner Smirnova (ул. Комиссара Смирнова), 12, +7 812 5421460. Cash desk 12:00-19:00. Big theater hall, small or concert hall, library, rentable Cafe «Zakulisnoe» (Кафе «Закулисное») for events


  • 1 Udelnaya Market, along Fermskoye Shosse ( : Udelnaya (Удельная)). A combined market and a flea market, selling mostly clothes and shoes but some shops also sell books and mobile phones and other small electronics. Items are sold both in the small white numbered buildings that hold more permanent shops and the more casual vendors are selling the stuff on the street.


  • 1 McDonald's (Макдоналдс), Chyornaya Rechka Embankment, 53 ( : Chyornaya Rechka (Чёрная речка), trolley 6 to 'Станция метро Черная речка'), +7 812 496-5245. Other units near metro stations Akademicheskaya, Udelnaya, Ozerski, Komendnatsi Prospekt and Staraya Derevnya.
  • 2 Pizza Hut (Пицца Хат), Kolomyazhskiy prospekt, 19 ( : Pionerskaya (Пионерская)), +7 812 703-1846. Other units inside Gulliver and Mercury shopping malls, and near metro station Vyborgskaya.
  • 3 Subway (САБВЭЙ), prospekt Prosveshcheniya, 19 ( : Prospekt Prosvecheniya (Проспект Просвещения)), +7 812 3332814. Other units near metro stations Akademicheskaya, Politekhnicheskaya, Udelnaya, Ozerski and Staraya Derevnya.



  • 1 Gostinitsa «Viborgskaya» (Гостиница «Выборгская»), ul. Torzhkovskaya (Торжковская улица), 3 ( : Chyornaya Rechka (Чёрная речка)). "Turris" network of hotels. A few minutes walk from the subway. Built on the Soviet era, which imposes limits on the number of rooms, and casts doubt on the three stars. There are rooms with no amenities, finishing standard rooms could be better. If the budget allows, better to stay in the junior suites and above. The lobby has a free hour internet Wi-Fi, bar and restaurant on the ground floor, you can order breakfast or half-board by the "buffet". RUB1400-5500.
  • 2 Sputnik (Спутник), prospekt Morica Toreza (проспект Тореза), 36 ( : Ploschad Muzhestva (Площадь Мужества)), +7 812 4570457, +7 812 45710737, fax: +7 812 4570457, . Check-in: 13.00, check-out: 12.00.
  • 3 Karelia (Карелия), ul. Marshala Tukhachevskogo (улица Маршала Тухачевского), 27/2 (Shared bus К118, К185, К190 to 'Улица Маршала Тухачевского' or metro Lesnaya W 4 km), +7 812 7184048, fax: +7 812 3264726, .
  • 4 Krupski (Крупский), Prospekt Nepokorennykh, 7, коrp. 1 ( : Ploschad Muzhestva (Площадь Мужества)), +7 812 9280812, .
  • 5 Orbita (Орбита), prospekt Nepokorennikh (проспект Непокоренных), 4 ( : Ploschad Muzhestva (Площадь Мужества)), +7 812 2978651, fax: +7 812 2973631, .
  • 6 Saint-Petersburg (Санкт-Петербург), Pirogovskaya embankment (Пироговская набережная) 5/2 ( :Ploschad Lenina (Площадь Ленина)), +7 812 3801919, +7 812 3801909, +7 812 3801911, fax: +7 812 3801906, +7 812 3801920, .


This district travel guide to North is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please feel free to improve it by editing the page.