Sanford has a humid subtropical climate, with mild weather during winters and hot weather during summers. High temperatures average 64 to 91 °F (18-33 °C) throughout the year. High heat indices are not uncommon for the summer months in the Sanford area. High temperatures can reach mid to high 90s with heat index ranges of 105-115 °F. The highest recorded temperature in Sanford was 103°F in July 1998. It is common for daily thunderstorms to erupt during a standard summer afternoon. These are caused by the heating of the land and water, combined with extremely high humidity.
During winter, the area can experience hard freezes during the night. Such cold weather is usually short lived, as the city averages only 15 nights below freezing. The coldest temperature recorded in Sanford was 19 °F on January 21, 1985, a day that still holds the record cold for many locations in the eastern half of the US. Even rarer in Sanford than freezing temperatures is snow. When snow does fall, it usually melts before touching the ground, or upon making contact with the ground.
Sanford has suffered less damage from hurricanes than most other east coast cities. Sanford has experienced hurricane or near-hurricane conditions more than a dozen times due to storms passing through the state from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Ocean, or passing to the north or south in the Atlantic and brushing the area. Rainfall averages around 50 inches a year, with the wettest months being June through September.
- 1 Orlando-Sanford International Airport (SFB IATA). Smaller airport in the region served regularly by Allegiant Airlines from all over the U.S. and a limited number of seasonal or charter flights with Sun Country (chartered), Wamos (Spain); Suriname Airlines (Suriname); and TUI Airways (Netherlands & UK). The main airport to the region with additional airlines is Orlando International Airport (MCO IATA).
- See also: rail travel in the United States
Sanford is the southern terminus of the 2 Sanford Auto Train Station which carries passengers and automobiles directly between Sanford and Lorton, Virginia, effectively serving as a car-rail link from Florida to the Washington, D.C. Metro Area. The train does not make intermediary stops between Lorton and Sanford. The Sanford station is not as elaborate as its Lorton counterpart: passengers board the train on two tracks in Sanford. However, Amtrak and the State of Florida are working to replace the older station with a new terminal that can accommodate a larger numbers of passengers more comfortably.
- 3 Sanford SunRail Station. generally M-F only. Check schedules. The nearest stations for the Amtrak Silver Meteor and Silver Star are in Winter Park (20 mi (32 km) south) and Deland (24 mi (39 km)) north. The Amtrak station in DeLand is a separate location from the DeBary Sunrail Station in Deltona while the Winter Haven Station is in a shared facility.
Greyhound Bus Lines, 1300 West Airport Blvd., +1 407-688-9725. Station is open daily 8AM to 10PM, including holidays. Greyhound offers bus connections to Jacksonville, Orlando, and other cities throughout the U.S.
Sanford is at the intersection of Interstate 4 and Florida State Road 417.
- Lynx offers public transportation for Sanford.
- 24 Hr Taxi of Sanford offers taxi service in Sanford.
- Gallery on First, 211 East First Street, ☏ . Working artist studios.
- Jeanine Taylor Folk Art, 211 East First Street, ☏ . Art from the Deep South.
- Riverhouse Pottery, 118 Palmetto Avenue, ☏ .
- Cameron Wight Park, 5502 Old Geneva Road, ☏ . This is a 3-acre park used as a boat launching facility into the beautiful St. Johns river basin. It is 5 miles (8 km) east of US 17-92 on State Road 46 at the Lake Jesup Bridge. This park is open daily 24 hours. It has a pavilion, lighting, and paved parking.
- 1 Lake Dot Park, 100 Lake Dot Drive, ☏ . This is a 15-acre park with benches and a fishing area located at the south end of Sanford. From Sanford, go south on U.S. 17-92, left onto Fairmont Dr., and right onto Lake Dot Dr. It is open 8AM to sunset daily.
- 2 Lake Jesup Park, 5951 South Sanford Avenue, ☏ . This park is a 6-acre park primarily used as a boat launching facility into Lake Jesup. The park is 4 miles south of State Road 46 at the end of Sanford Avenue. There is a pavilion and paved parking available under shade from the many oak trees. The park is open 24 hours daily.
- Lake Jesup Wilderness Area, 5951 South Sanford Avenue, ☏ . Wildlife lovers will find 3 miles (5 km) of trails in the 490-acre Lake Jesup Wilderness Area where lakeside benches provide a great viewing platform for spotting bald eagles and alligators.
- 3 Lake Monroe Wayside Park, 4150 N. West US Highway 17-92, ☏ . This is a 3.5-acre park used as a boat launching facility into Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River basin. This park is 1 mile north of Interstate 4 on State Road 17-92 on the St. Johns River. This park has pavilions and a historical swinging bridge used as a fishing pier. It is open 24 hours daily.
- 4 Paw Park, 427 South French Avenue, ☏ . The oldest off-leash dog park in Central Florida is well shaded with mature oak trees. Features include a small dog alternative play area, a time-out area, bag dispensers for disposal of dog waste, park benches, dog showers, self-watering bowls, historic lighting, and a community bulletin board.
- 5 Sunland Park, 180 Collins Drive, ☏ . This is a 15-acre park 1/2 mile south of Lake Mary Boulevard on US 17-92. There is a ball field, tennis & basketball court and playground available for public use. The hours of the park are from 8AM to 10PM daily.
- 6 Sylvan Lake Park, 845 Lake Markham Road, ☏ . This park is 5 miles (8 km) west of I-4 off State Road 46 on Lake Markham Road. This is a 126-acre park with a 188-acre lake adjacent to the park known as Sylvan Lake. Sylvan has become a soccer lover's delight, with a sport training facility and 6 soccer fields.
- Wilson's Landing Park, ☏ . 387 Malekean Trail. Wilson's Landing is a 19-acre facility developed in 2004 that includes a small pavilion, overlook pier of the Wekiva River, restrooms, and paved parking. This park is in the northwestern corner of the county off S.R. 46 on Malakean Road. Hours of operation is 8AM to sunset seven days a week, except for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- 7 Lower Wekiva River Preserve State Park. An 18,000-acre (73-km²) Florida State Park on 6 miles (10 km) of the St. Johns River in Seminole County. The park forms a wildlife corridor to the Ocala National Forest along the Wekiva and St. Johns Rivers. Among the wildlife of the park are black bears, river otters, alligators, wood storks, and sandhill cranes. There are two sections to the park, north and south. The northern section's entrance is in Pine Lakes, off S.R. 44. This entrance leads to the multiuse trails, primitive horse camping and backpack camping areas. The entrance to the southern section, off S.R. 46 nine miles (14 km) west of Sanford, provides access to 5,000 acres (20 km²) of the park. There is no horseback riding in this part of the park. Neither section provides water access. Although canoeists can travel the Wekiva River through the park, they must launch from outside.
- Museum of Seminole County History, 300 Bush Boulevard, ☏ . The museum highlights Seminole County, the historical gateway to interior Central Florida via the St. John's River. All artifacts housed in the museum have been donated.
- Sanford Museum, 520 East First Street, ☏ . The museum collects and exhibits items dealing with the development of the city of Sanford from the time Florida became a U.S. territory to the present and to perpetuate the memory of Henry S. Sanford, founder of the city.
- Bill's Airboat Adventures, ☏ . East Road 46 at Cameron Wight Park. Guided nature tours leaving from the St. Johns River; daily by appointment.
- Central Florida Airboat Tours, 4650 East State Road, ☏ . 46 at the Geneva Bridge. Operating from Jolly Gator Fish Camp, you can board an airboat and travel into the heart and soul of Lake Jesup and Lake Harney.
- Fun Maritime Academy, 531 N. Palmetto Avenue, ☏ . 'A' Dock. Offers boat rentals and sailing lessons.
- Rivership Romance, 433 North Palmetto Avenue, ☏ . Offers daily riverboat cruises along the St. John's River. Climate controlled. Reservations required.
- 1 Mayfair Country Club, 3536 Country Club Road, ☏ . 18 holes over 6,400 yards with a par of 72 (public).
ATMs can be found throughout Sanford. Usually larger hotels and convenience stores will have a "generic" ATM available; however, be forewarned about hidden service fees.
- 1 China Star, 4585 St. Johns Parkway, ☏ . The menu at China Star features entrees, sides and quick bites. The restaurant is off of I-4 near Rinehart Road and adjacent to the Seminole Town Center.
- Colorado's Prime Steak, 3863 South Orlando Drive, ☏ . Steaks and prime rib are on the menu here. There are also ribs, fish and shrimp on the menu and an array of sandwiches to choose from too.
- Corky's Hot Dogs, 4004 Orlando Drive, ☏ . At this low-key Sanford dog shop, all hot dogs are not the same. With 12 different types of weiners not to mention Italian beef, Corky's has a solid selection of Vienna Beef hot dogs and quality sausages. Add to that nine topping combos that are less than $3 each and this wiener is a winner.
- Luigino's Pasta & Steak House, 201 West 1st Street, ☏ .
- Jason's Martini Club, 300 Sanford Avenue, ☏ .
- Little Fish Huge Pond, 309 East First Street, ☏ . Little Fish Huge Pond is a combination bar, art gallery and live music venue, with local acts ranging from reggae to rock and everything in between. They also host special events like drag and fashion shows.
- The Alley, 114 South Park Avenue, ☏ . Unique biker bar with a cozy 1930s atmosphere and live blues every Friday and Saturday.
- West End Trading Company, 202 S Sanford Ave, ☏ . Downtown bar with cheap drinks, live music, and a tropical laid-back beachy vibe.
Hotels and motelsEdit
- Budget Inn, 3200 South Orlando Drive, ☏ .
- Comfort Inn & Suites, 590 Ava Court, ☏ .
- Days Inn, 4650 West State Road, ☏ . 46.
- Fountain Lodge, 2706 South Orlando Drive, ☏ .
- Holiday Inn Express, 3401 South Orlando Drive, ☏ . (US 17-92).
- 1 SpringHill Suites Sanford, 201 North Towne Road, ☏ .
- Slumberland Motel, 2611 Highway 17-92, ☏ .
- SpringHill Suites Seminole Towne Center, 201 North Towne Road, ☏ .
- Super 8 Motel Sanford, 4750 West State Road, ☏ . 46.
Bed and BreakfastEdit
- Higgins House Bed and Breakfast, 420 South Oak Avenue, ☏ .
Ten digit dialing is in effect for local calls in Sanford. The local area codes are 407 and 321. For calls within the US or Canada, dial 1+area code+number. There are some public pay phones scattered around the city, but they are becoming increasingly rare with the predominance of cell phones. It is not safe to assume you will be able to find a pay phone at any given time.
All ZIP codes in Sanford begin with 327.
|Routes through Sanford|
|Orlando ← Lake Mary ←||W E||→ Cassadaga → Daytona Beach|
|Orlando ← Lake Mary ←||S/W N/E||→ Blue Spring State Park → Jacksonville/Daytona Beach|
|END ← DeBary ←||N S||→ Lake Mary → Orlando|