Despite Rostock being larger, Schwerin remains the state capital, and with around 92,000 inhabitants it is also the smallest German state capital. It is thus the only state capital not to be a "Großstadt", a city above 100 000, as defined by German statistics.
Rostock airport (RLG IATA) has connections to other parts of Germany such as Munich airport and Stuttgart. Other major airports within reasonable driving and train distance are those of Hamburg and Berlin (BER IATA).
- 1 Schwerin station. has direct connections from Stralsund via Rostock; Frankfurt (Main) via Hamburg, Hannover; Stuttgart via Bremen; and Leipzig via Magdeburg, Halle (Saale).
Schwerin is just of the A 14 about 200 km north west of Berlin and 100 km east of Hamburg using the A 24. Lübeck is about 65 km and 90 km from Rostock via the A20.
Schwerin has a tram network some 21 km (13 mi) long, serving most of the city.
- 1 TV tower. It has an observation deck and a restaurant 100 meters above ground. The 136.5 m (448 ft)-high TV tower is from unique design. As a curiosity close to it, there is a guyed radio mast, which is 273 m high.
- 2 Schweriner Schloss (Schwerin Palace). The castle nowadays houses the state parliament. It sits next to the Schweriner See (lake) and adjacent to a park.
- Internationales Feuerwehrmuseum Schwerin (International Fire Brigade Museum), Hamburger Allee 68, 19063 Schwerin, ☏ . 10:00 - 18:00. Closed Mondays. Very extensive collection of everything related to fire brigades. Fire engines, model fire engines, uniforms, helmets, masks, equipment, pumps, training equipment. A lot of stuff relating to the former DDR (East Germany) but also West German and international. 5€.
Climb the tower of the Schwerin Cathedral. Go via the main entrance, then go to the back of the pews, pay the attendant €2 and climb the spiral staircase. At the top, there are 360 degree views of the city.
- Zum Freischütz, Ziegenmarkt 11. a pub that serves great food and drinks. Try the Fladenbrot. One is enough to share between two people. Probably the best pub in town, that's why you can expect it to be very crowded.
- Bolero Bar, Mecklenburgstraße 2. relaxed cocktailbar with quite nice Mexican food, next to Pfaffenteich in the city centre.
- Rösterei Fuchs, Am Markt 4. Roasts their own coffee and serves great hot chocolate. They are located on Am Markt.