The Akita Shinkansen Komachi (こまち) from Tokyo, Sendai and Morioka makes a regular stop at the JR Kakunodate station. Komachi provides hourly service from Tokyo and the journey takes roughly 4hrs from Tokyo, 2.5hrs from Sendai and 1hr from Morioka. Please make sure to book your seat in advance, as seats on all Komachi trains are all reserved. Japan Rail Pass is accepted.
- 1 Kakunodate. Remains of an old samurai town. In spring, many cherry blossoms bloom.
- 2 Lake Tazawa Excursion Ship, 148, Haruyama, Tazawa, Tazawako 田沢湖田沢字春山148 (Bus from JR Tazawako station 15min, bus stop "Tazawako resthouse mae" to walk 1min.), ☏ , fax: . 4 - 8 services per day. Period 26 Apr - 5 Nov.. Around trip ¥1170..
- 3 Dakigaeri Valley (抱き返り渓谷). Valley with sheer Tama River along. Autumn leaves is great. Promenade is placed.
- 1 Nyūtō Hot Springs (乳頭温泉郷). A lot of old hot springs. These are famous resorts for Japanese.
- 2 Tamagawa Hot Springs (玉川温泉). This onsen has the highest flow rate in Japan at 150 liters/second.
- 3 Paper Balloon Festival (紙風船上げ Kamifuusen Age), 西木町紙風船広場 (Walk 7min from Kamihinoki station, along National route 105.), ☏ . Feb 10, starts at 3PM. In this festival dating back more than a century, large decorated paper balloons are lit and float off in the evening sky. The evening can get cold, so warm clothing is recommended.
- 4 Cycling around the Lake Tazawa (Lake Tazawa Renta Cycle, in Kyōei Palace) (田沢湖周回サイクリング (田沢湖レンタサイクル, 共栄パレス内)), 148, Haruyama, Tazawa, Tazawako 田沢湖田沢字春山148 (Bus from JR Tazawako station 15min, Bus stop "Tazawako resthouse mae" to walk 1min.), ☏ . 8AM - 5:30PM. Period mid-Apr - early-Nov. Loop around lakeside the Lake Tazawa. Up down no much flat road. Approximately 20km around, takes 2 - 3 hrs. An hour ¥400, thereafter every 15min ¥150..
- 5 Tazawako Ski Area (田沢湖スキー場), 73-2, Shimotakano, Obonai, Tazawako 田沢湖生保内字下高野73-2, ☏ . About late Dec - Apr. Located at the foot of the Mt. Akita-Koma. View of Lake Tazawa is great.
- 6 Mount Akita-Koma (秋田駒が岳) (Bus from Tazawako station.). This mountain is active volcano, and the highest mountain in Akita prefecture. View of Lake Tazawa from the top is wonderful. Roadway through to 8Gōme (80% on the mountain) parking. Climbing 2hrs round trip to the top from 8Gōme.
- 7 Mount Nyūtō (乳頭山). The name of the mountain means "nipple". It was named from the shape of the mountain as seen from the Akita side is similar to the female breast. There are alpine plants and wetlands near the top. Climbing 4 - 5hrs round trip to the top from Kuroyu Onsen in Nyuto Onsen. After climbing, you can take a tired by hot spring.
- 1 Tazawako Sports Center Campsite (田沢湖スポーツセンターキャンプ場), Shimotakano, Obonai, Tazawako 田沢湖生保内字下高野, ☏ , fax: . The place to be ski area in the winter. There are many hot springs near. ¥310. Period mid-Jun - Aug..
- 2 [dead link] Tazawako Youth Hostel / Tazawako Lodge (田沢湖ユースホステル / 田沢湖ロッジ), 33-8, Kamiishigami, Obonai, Tazawako 田沢湖生保内字上石神33-8 (Bus 12min from JR Tazawako station to bus stop "Kōeniriguchi", soon.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 3:30PM, check-out: 10AM. It has a Youth hostel and a normal Lodge. The bath is hot springs. YH domitory room stay ¥3290 (Non YH member +¥600), breakfast ¥630, dinner ¥1050. Lodge stay with 2meals ¥7300..
|Routes through Semboku|
|Akita ← Omagari ←||W E||→ Tazawa-ko → Shizukuishi → Morioka|