city in Akita Prefecture, Japan
Yokote (横手市 Yokote-shi) is a city in Akita prefecture.
- 1 Yokote Castle (横手城). The original castle was burned down in the Boshin War. Although the reconstructed castle has a keep, the original castle had a palace but not a keep.
- 2 Manga Museum (横手市増田まんが美術館), Shinmachi 285, Masuda (In Jumonji near Masuda Junior High School.), ☏ +81 182 45-5556. A museum about Japanese comics with original works by famous manga artists.
- 3 Akita Prefectural Museum of Modern Art (秋田県立近代美術館), Tomigasawa 62-46, Akasaka, ☏ +81 182 33-8855. This museum's collection of modern art is predominately from Akita, though some is from elsewhere.
- Kamakura Festival (横手かまくら祭り Yokote Kamakura Matsuri) (This festival is held at many locations in Yokote -- see the website for a map.), ☏ +81 182 33-7111. Feb 15-16 18:00-21:00. Small igloos (called "kamakura") are built in many locations across town. There are hundreds of kamakura, some large enough to enter. Some of these, in turn, become small eating establishments. Traditionally, amazake (a sweet winter-season drink) and mochi are served.
- 1 Yokote Gymnasium (横手市横手体育館), Jōri 2-2-40 (1 block NW of Yokote City Hall Jōri Office), ☏ +81 182 33-2102. This city gymnasium hosts a variety of sports and community events.
- 2 Hiraka Gymnasium (横手市平鹿体育館), Gakumachiushiro 140, Asamai, Hiraka, ☏ +81 182 24-1340. This public gymnasium hosts a variety of sporting events.
- 3 Jūmonji Track and Field Stadium (十文字陸上競技場), Bōzuzawa 20-1, Jūgonoshinden, Jūmonjimachi, ☏ +81 80-1847-5809. This is the regional track and field stadium.
To the south, Yuzawa and Ugo are a short drive. To the north, Kakunodate makes an interesting day trip.
|Routes through Yokote|
|Akita ← Omagari ←||N S||→ Yuzawa → Yamagata|
|Yurihonjo ←||W E||→ Hanamaki → Tono|
|END ←||W E||→ Higashinaruse → Ichinoseki|