The nearest airport is Yulin Yuyang Airport in Yulin.
Shenmu has two train stations and they connect to two different lines:
- 1 Shenmu North Station (神木北站), Shilagou Village, Dianta Town (店塔镇石拉沟村) (3 km northwest of the city center). Offers service to Datong. Tickets for trains departing from or heading to this station cannot be purchased online.
- 2 Shenmu Station (神木站), Intersection of Yunchuan Avenue and Guangyun Road (云川大道与广运路交叉口) (30 km northwest of the city center; bus no. 5 links the station to the city center). Offers service to Yulin, Yan'an and Xian.
There is plenty of private transport running between Shenmu North Station, Shenmu Station and the city center.
- 3 Shenmu Bus Station (神木汽车客运站), Binhe Avenue Middle Section (滨河大道中段) (local bus nos. 5, 6 and 8). Shenmu's main long-distance bus station.
- 1 Erlangshan Scenic Area (二郎山风景区), Provincial Highway 204 (204省道) (bus no. 4 stops outside the park entrance), ☏ . 08:00-17:30. Tranquil spot with several temples and fantastic views from the top of the mountain. As of May 2021, the park is temporarily closed. ¥20.
- 2 Shenmu Museum (神木市博物馆), Linzhou Street (麟州街) (on the north side of the No. 6 Primary School; take bus no. 2 or 4), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:00-17:00 (November 15th to March 15th), 09:00-18:00 (March 16th to November 14th). Entry is limited to 800 visitors per day, including 400 in the morning and 400 in the afternoon. Free.
- 3 Ancient City of Gaojiabao (高家堡古城), Shenwang Road (神王路) (roughly 65 km from downtown Shenmu; you can get a bus here from the Shenmu Bus Station - there are six buses a day). 07:30-20:00. The walled city of Gaojiabao was founded in the Ming Dynasty and has many historical sites, including old residences and temples, as well as the city walls and gates. Unfortunately you won't find any accommodation here, so it's best to come here on a day trip. Free.
- 4 Shimao Ruins (石峁遗址), Shimao Village, Gaojiabao Town (高家堡镇石峁村) (about 3 km from the center of Gaojiabao). The ruins of a neolithic city, which flourished between 2300 BC and 1800 BC. A museum is under construction near the site and is expected to open in the near future, possibly in the second half of 2021.
- 5 Hongjiannao Lake (红碱淖), Zhaojun Avenue, Erlintu Town (尔林兔镇昭君大道) (take a bus to Erlintu from Shenmu Bus Station), ☏ . 6:30-19:30 (summer), 10:00-17:00 (winter). The largest desert freshwater lake in China. Sadly, due to climate change and human activities such as coal mining, the lake has been shrinking since the 1970s. Nonetheless, it remain ecologically important and is a haven for rare birds. Since the 2010s, some serious efforts have been made to replenish the lake. For the visitor, various forms of water transport are available to explore the lake, and you can also go for a ride on a camel in the nearby desert. ¥30.
- Chengjian Hotel (Chengjian Binguan), Yingbin Road, ☏ .
- Shentong Hotel (Shentong Binguan), Dongxingzhong Road, ☏ .
- Guomao Hotel (Guomao Binguan), Dongxingzhong Road, ☏ .
- Huilin Hotel (Huilin Binguan), Huiquan Road, ☏ .
- Shenmu Hotel (Shenmu Binguan), Yingbin Road, ☏ .