Soe is a city in West Timor.
Soe is the capital of the South Central Timor regency. Due to its pronunciation (so-E), sometime it is written as "SoE". It is a highland area with an altitude of 800m, so the climate is cooler than the surrounding coastal Timor area. Travelers use this town is the base for day trips to explore the area. It is also possible to stay in the smaller towns around Soe nearby the villages.
If you intend to visit the traditional villages, it is recommended to get a local guide, as there are numerous customs to follow and language remains a barrier (even if you speak Bahasa Indonesia). The most common customs is that you need to be introduced to the village chief and bring betel nuts as gifts. A day trip usually costs IDR 1,000,000 (as of Dec 2018). Some guides will give you an all-inclusive rate (incl. donation to the village for entrance), but it is recommended to give the donation directly to the village chief (instead of through the guide) to make sure the village received the full intended amount. The donation and betel nuts should sum up to around IDR 100,000 (as of Dec 2018). You can purchase betel fruits / nuts around town.
from Kupang: 3 hours. Trip started from Oesapa "bus stop" (it's a street side), where you can find "Travel" shared car for IDR 50,000 or public bus for IDR 30,000 (Bus to Kefamenanu will pass by Soe too, ask the bus assistant). Ask your accommodations for details (as of Dec 2018). If you are taking the bus, you can alight along the main street of Soe (Jln. Ahmad Yani or Jln. Gajah Mada).
Bemo is running through the city, just tell your destination to the the assistant. A ride per person costs IDR 3,000 (as of Dec 2018). Many of the drivers and assistants are teenagers (don't be surprised).
Ojek is on the standby on the road side. A ride within town should be IDR 5,000-10,000 (as of Dec 2018).
You can check with the Soe Tourist Office at Jln. Dipenogoro (closed on Saturday and Sunday) to get information on the local sights and contacts to tour guides. There are many tour / travel offices in the area, but they are mainly serving airline booking.
- Fort None (Benteng None)
- Traditional Village in Boti
- Traditional Village in Fatumnasi
- Oehala Waterfall
- Weekly Market: There are different markets each day located around the region, your guide would know where to go on the day of your trip. The biggest three are:
- Tuesday: Oenlassi Market
- Wednesday: Niki Niki Market
- Thursday: Ayotupas Market
There are many eating options on the main street of Soe, mostly offers bakso (great for the chilly night).
- 1 RM Depot Remaja. One of the popular place to have se'i babi. Offers other menu selection too. A must-visit when you are in Soe. IDR 25,000-35,000.
- 2 RM Larisa (nearby RM Depot Remaja). a more well-kept eatery, also offer se'i babi.
- 3 Depot Bintang. offering se'i babi, babi macao, satay, as well as other vegetable dishes. avg. IDR 25,000.
- 4 Warung Tiga Putri. This humble place on the street side provides great cheap eats. Don't let the look deceived you. Serves gado-gado, bakso, and various rice dishes. IDR 10,000-20,000.
- 1 Hotel Bahagia. The once default hotel to stay for travelers. Often mistaken with the newer and pricier 'Hotel Bahagia Dua', creating disappointment in terms of price / quality between them. IDR 160,000 and up.
- 2 Hotel Bahagia Dua ((Hotel Bahagia II)). The new Hotel Bahagia (same owner, different management), it is newly built and of course, pricier than the original. IDR 220,000 standard room; IDR 350,000 VIP room..
- 3 Hotel Timor Megah. A new big hotel. generous buffet breakfast. Same owner with the Timor Megah store, located 300m away. Wi-Fi is not so good a the standard room. IDR 250,000 standard room; IDR 350,000 VIP room.
- 4 Hotel Gajah Mada (Entrance on the small road off the main road. The first building is their hall. Walk further in for the reception.). a three-floor hotel building, quite new. IDR 250,000 - IDR 350,000.
- 5 Hotel Sejati, Jln. Ahmad Yani. a budget-friendly place to stay. obviously with basic facilities. No Wi-Fi. IDR 110,000 for standard room; IDR 250,000 for deluxe room..