Sønderborg is a town in South Jutland, Denmark near the Danish-German border on the island of Als. The town of Sønderborg is home to Sønderborg Castle (Sønderborg Slot), the Royal Danish Army's Sergeant School (until 2013) and Sandbjerg Estate (Sandbjerg Gods).
Sønderborg is a center for trade, tourism, industry, and education. The population is 28,000 in 2023. The towns in the region of Sønderborg are Nordborg (on northern part of the island), Augustenborg, Gråsten, Broager, and Guderup. The population of the region is 74,000 in 2023.
Get in Edit
By plane Edit
- 1 Sønderborg Airport (SGD IATA) (7 km from Sønderborg). Alsie Express is the only airline serving the airport. As of 2023 there are several flights a day from Copenhagen Airport. There is no public transit to or from the airport. You'd have to take a taxi or arrange pickup. Rental cars are available at the airport.
By train Edit
- 2 Sønderborg station. The station is served by Intercity and regional trains, mostly operated by DSB
By car Edit
If driving north on the E45 highway coming from Germany, route 8 is the fastest way to get to Sønderborg. If driving south on E45, route 41 is the fastest.
By boat Edit
Get around Edit
Sønderborg is not very far from the Danish-German border. Just south of the border is the German town of Flensburg, which is popular among Danes going to Germany on a one-day trip, often to shop and to buy alcohol and chocolate, which is cheaper in Germany than in Denmark.
By public transport Edit
From the central bus station (rutebilstation) there are buses run to Dybbøl, Kær, Stenbjergparken, Kløvermarken, Skovparken, Sønderborg Sygehus (Hospital) twice at every hour. One way ticket is 17 DKK and payable onboard, only cash. There is also 10 clip card for 120 kr, if you plan to travel more frequent. Because it is a small town, buses take off twice an hour (mostly).
By bike Edit
Sønderborg is a very bike friendly city. Almost all roads have separated bike lanes. Hop up on your bike or buy a second hand one and do not suffer in the buses.
- 1 Dybbøl Mølle (near Sønderborg). Mar 28-Oct 18: 11:00-16:00; week 42: 10:00-17:00; also 10:00-17:00 in school holidays, easter, Pentecost, great Preyer day, and Ascension day. Historically significant windmill, now museum 25 kr.
- 2 Sønderborg Slot, ☏ . Jun-Sep: 10:00-17:00; Apr May Oct: Tu-Su 10:00-16:00; Nov-Mar: Tu-Su 10:00-16:00; week 7, 8, 42: 10:00-16:00. Public holidays also on Mondays. Historical castle in Sønderborg.
- 3 Alsion, ☏ . The culture, education, and science park in Sønderborg.
- 1 Sønderjyllands Symfoniorkester (South Denmark Philharmonic).
- Gendarmstien. Embark on a beautiful and varied coastal trail along the Flensborg Fjord in south-east Jutland. At 84 km, and certified as a Leading Quality Trail (Best of Europe), this hike is designed for a five day journey all-in-all, and includes shelters and other amenities. It leads you through historic sites from the Stone Age to present times; the trail itself is named after the Danish Gendarmerie controlling the waters for smugglers from Germany in the 1800s.
- Curry Leaves, Nørrebro 2, ☏ . An Indian restaurant. 140 kr buffet.
- Bella Italia, Lille Rådhusgade 33, ☏ . An Italian restaurant.
- Fox and Hounds, Store Rådhusgade 1, ☏ . A British pub and restaurant.
- Huset Blom, Sundsmarkvej 40, ☏ . A mansion turned into a fancy restaurant with a large wine cellar.
- Restaurant Colosseum, Sønder Havnegade 24, ☏ . Offer Danish cuisine.
- Quality Hotel Sønderborg.
- Comwell Sønderborg, Strandvej 1, ☏ , email@example.com.
- [dead link] Hotel Nørherredhus, Mads Clausens Vej 101, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Benniksgaard Hotel & Konference, Sejrsvej 101, Rinkenæs, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 1 Scandic Hotel Sønderborg, Ellegårdvej 27, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Danhostel Sønderborg, Kærvej 70, ☏ , email@example.com.
- Danhostel Vollerup, Mommarkvej 22, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Sønderborg camping, Ringgade 7, ☏ .
- Drejby Strand Camping, Kegnæsvej 85, ☏ , email@example.com. Season from the beginning of April until the end of September.
- Gammelmark Strand Camping, Gammelmark 20, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hertugbyens Camping, Ny Stavensbøl 1, ☏ , email@example.com.
- Lærkelunden Camping, Nederbyvej 25, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.