Sorong is the largest city of Southwest Papua province, on the western tip of the bird's head peninsula in Papua, Indonesia.
Most people fly to Sorong to go to Raja Ampat. One usually must transit in Sorong, and most people take an early flight so they can catch the ferry to Waisai (see below).
There are some roads into Sorong from nearby villages, but in practice the only ways to get into the city are by plane or by ferry.
- 1 Dominique Edward Osok Airport (SOQ IATA) (1 km south of the city centre and about 3 km east of the ferry port). There are daily flights the national capital Jakarta, as well as from the major cities of Eastern Indonesia including Makassar, Manado, Ambon and Jayapura.
There are 10 weekly ferries between the Sorong ferry port 2 Pelabuhan Rakyat (People's Port, to distinguish it from the container port) and Waisai, the district capital of Raja Ampat. From Sorong to Waisai, daily ferries depart at 14:00, with in addition ferries at 9:00 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. From Waisai to Sorong, ferries depart daily (except Saturday) at 14:00, with additional ferries at 11:00 on Mondays, 9:00 on Wednesdays and Fridays, and 12:00 on Saturdays. The journey time is about 2 hours.
In addition to the frequent ferries to and from Waisai, Sorong's ferry port is part of the national PELNI ferry network. There are weekly ferries (at irregular times) in westerly (to Fakfak and further to Maluku and Sulawesi) and easterly (to Manokwari and further to Biak and/or Jayapura) directions. Virtualy all destinations along the PELNI ferry routes can be reached much more easily by plane.
You can get around by taksi (minivan) or ojek (motorcycle taxi).
- 1 Doom Island (Pulau Doom).
- 2 Lake Framu Ayamaru (Danau Framu Ayamaru).
- 3 Lake Uter (Danau Uter).
- 4 Matan Island (Pulau Matan). There is a white sand beach.
- 5 Sasnek Waterfall (Air Terjun Sasnek).
- 6 Taman Burung Aimas, Jl. Osok, Aimas, ☏ +62 853 436 65977. 7AM-7PM. A bird park. You may see Australasian birds like the cassowary, crowned pigeon, and the cockatoo.
- 7 Tanjung Batu Beach (Pantai Tanjung Batu).
- 8 Tanjung Kasuari Beach (Pantai Tanjung Kasuari).
- 9 Tembok Berlin Beach (Pantai Tembok Berlin).
- 10 Um Island (Pulau Um). An island with white sand beach.
Although Raja Ampat is more popular for diving, the waters of Sorong itself abound in beautiful marine life.
- 1 Taman Wisata Mangrove Klawalu, Klamana, East Sorong.
Swimming in the riverEdit
- 2 Kali Sembra Teminabuan. A clear and clean river. You may see blue coloured New Guinea crayfish, cherax.
Keripik keladi is a Sorong taro chip, the famous one is the sweet spicy variant.
- 1 Keripik Keladi Karmila, Jl. Dworowati, Klasaman, East Sorong.
- 2 Keripik Keladi Sayo, Jl. Bangau II, Malaingkedi, Sorong Manoi.
Batik Papua is a batik with Papuan uniqueness from the aspect of the motif, because it was developed from the rich culture and uniqueness of the exotic nature of Papua.
- 3 Aneka Batik Papua (Toko Batik Papua), Jl. Selat Sagawin No. 2. Range Rp100,000-Rp1,000,000.
At Tembok Berlin beach area, many seafood hawkers open in the evening.
- 1 Warung Makan Gado Gado Bapak Taman, Malawei, Sorong Manoi. Serves gado-gado and es cendol alpukat.
There are many coffee shops around the city.
- 1 Roemah Kopi Coffee Roastery Sorong, Klawuyuk, East Sorong, ☏ +62 813 442 82200. 08:00-24:00.
- 1 Hotel Paparisa Manise. A decent and clean (though charmless) option in the city, reasonably close to the airport and harbour.
- 2 Swiss-Belhotel Sorong, Jl. Jendral Sudirman, Sorong, ☏ +62 951 321199. Luxurious hotel located between the airport and the ferry port.
- 3 The Ignislo (Rebranding from Je Meridien), Jl. Basuki Rahmat KM 7.5 (opposite Domine Eduard Osok (DEO) Airport.), ☏ +62 823 970 90602. From Rp530,000.
The telephone area code of Sorong is 0951.
- Manokwari. 12 hr by land.
- Maybrat. 6 hr by land.
- Tambrauw. 5 hr by land.
- Raja Ampat. 2 hr away by ship.
- Fakfak. An hour by plane.