The nearest major airport is in Las Vegas, 150 miles away. There is a municipal airport in St. George (45 minutes from Springdale), with flights arriving from major cities such as Salt Lake City. There is no public transportation into town, so driving is your only real option. Most people get here by taking Utah State Road 9 off I-15 north of St. George, and following the road east through the town of Hurricane. You can also get here from the east by taking US Route 89 and turning west onto State Road 9, taking you through Zion on the Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel into Zion Canyon and Springdale.
This is pretty much a one-street town; just about everything in Springdale is aligned along the main street, UT-9. Everything is fairly close together, often making it pretty easy to walk around town. Bicycling is also a good way to get around town or into Zion.
As part of Zion National Park's free shuttle system, Springdale has a route running through the town April–October. Parking at the Visitor Center in Zion often fills up, so if you're spending the night in Springdale you would do good to leave the car at the hotel and take the shuttle into the park.
The route has 9 stops, with three of those available only on request (or when people are waiting): Majestic View, Silver Bear (request only), Driftwood / Quality Inn, Bit & Spur / Zion Park Inn, Pizza & Noodle / Bumbleberry / Zions Bank, Canyon Ranch / Desert Pearl / Post Office (request only), Flanigans / Zion Canyon Clothing, Cliffrose (request only), and the Zion Canyon Theater. The last stop is within easy walking distance of the Park Entrance and the Zion Visitor Center.
In spring and fall, the shuttle runs from 6:30AM until 10:15PM, with 10-15 minute frequency. In the summer (mid-May to early September), the shuttle runs from 5:30AM until 11:15PM, with 10-15 minute frequency, and 20 or 30 minute frequency in the very early morning and late evening.
See and doEdit
- There are a number of guide/outfitter places in town. Two are located in the Zion Outdoor Center, 868 Zion Park Blvd (a mile from the park entrance): 1 Zion Outdoor, +1 435 772-0630, and 2 Zion Cycles, +1 435 772-0400. Also in town is 3 Zion Adventure Company, 36 Lion Blvd (next to Flanigan's Inn), +1 435 772-1001, and 4 Zion Rock & Mountain Guides, 1458 Zion Blvd, +1 435 772-3303.
- 1 Sol Foods Market, 995 Zion Park Blvd, ☏ . Open daily 7:30AM-9PM. A full service supermarket with a deli and camping supplies.
- Tribal Arts Zion, 291 Zion Park Blvd, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Native American jewelry, baskets, and other art from across the Southwest, along with handmade wood carvings from Oaxaca, Mexico.
In August 2015, the city finally gave up on defending its 2006 ordinance against formula and chain restaurants (it became too expensive to defend in the courts). You're bound to see chain restaurants springing up in the city. The ordinance was meant to keep the dining options unique and special in this city that sits just outside of Zion National Park (they wanted to avoid becoming similar to West Yellowstone). Think about patronizing a local restaurant before going to a chain restaurant in Springdale.
- 1 Zion Pizza & Noodle Company, 868 Zion Park Blvd, ☏ . Some of the best food in town. Great pasta, pizzas, salads and beer.
- 2 Oscar's Cafe, 948 Zion Park Blvd, ☏ . Daily 7AM-9PM. Good burgers.
- 3 Bit and Spur, 1212 Zion Park Blvd, ☏ . Quality Mexican food. Try the spicy lamb gigot.
- 4 Thai Sapa, 198 Zion Park Blvd, ☏ . Authentic Thai food. Located in the Zion Canyon Giant Screen Imax Theatre complex.
- 5 Spotted Dog Cafe, 428 Zion Park Blvd, ☏ . Fine dining.
- Zion Canyon Brew Pub, 95 Zion Park Blvd, ☏ . Daily 11:30AM-10PM.
- 1 Cliffrose Lodge, 281 Zion Park Blvd, ☏ . Motel with beautiful grounds and friendly staff.
- 2 Desert Pearl, 707 Zion Park Blvd, ☏ . Not for those on the budget.
- 3 Driftwood Lodge, 1515 Zion Park Blvd, ☏ . Nice Lodge.
- 4 Red Rock Inn B&B Cottages, 998 Zion Park Blvd, ☏ . Rooms in the form of charming individual cottages.
- Zion National Park - obviously, this is the main reason most people come to Springdale in the first place
- Grafton ghost town - just south and west of the village of Rockville, between Springdale and Hurricane
- Hurricane - about 25 miles west on UT-9.
- St. George - about 45 miles west of town.
|Routes through Springdale|
|Junction ← Hurricane ←||W E||→ Zion National Park → Mount Carmel Junction|