Travel topics > Cultural attractions > Architecture > Le Corbusier World Heritage
The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier, an Outstanding Contribution to the Modern Movement is a world heritage site comprising 17 buildings on three continents by the Swiss-French architect Le Corbusier. It was added to the list of world heritages in 2016.
Charles-Édouard Jeanneret-Gris (1887-1965), better known as Le Corbusier was one of the pioneers of modern architecture. While he designed many notable public buildings around the world (including the master plan of the planned city of Chandigarh), he is at least as famous for his innovative residential buildings.
- 1 Curutchet House, Boulevard 53, 320, La Plata. Curutchet House is a landmark to visit in La Plata. It is located in a green, sunny area with plenty of plants and trees facing the “Paseo del Bosque” park. It is one of the very few buildings in the Americas designed by the famous architect Le Corbusier. He projected four levels with a ramp and a spiral staircase mainly because the piece of land where it was built was very narrow. Nowadays it houses the Buenos Aires Professional Association of Architects (Colegio de Arquitectos) and it is open to the public for tours and occasionally hosts events.
- 3 Maisons La Roche et Jeanneret, 8-10 Place du Docteur-Blanche, Paris/16th arrondissement. Two adjacient villas, completed 1923-1925.
- 4 Cité Frugès. About 10 km southwest of Bordeaux, in the suburb of Pessac is Quartiers Modernes Frugès, a 1920s housing development.
- 5 Villa Savoye et loge du jardiner, Poissy, Ile de France. Poissy, southwest of Paris features Villa Savoye by Le Corbusier, one of the best known creations of this architect.
- 6 Immeuble locatif à la Porte Molitor, 24, rue Nungesser et Coli, Paris/16th arrondissement. An 8 story apartment building in the 16th arrondissement, built in 1932-34.
- 7 Unité d’habitation Marseille. The building is called "la maison du fada" (the house of the foolish) by indegenous people. The building contains a shopping street, a church, a children's school and housing. You can access the roof and enjoy the breathtaking view of Marseille between hills and sea (10AM-6PM). There is a bar/restaurant/hotel on the 3rd floor too. Take bus 21 from Rond-Point du Prado metro.
- 10 Cabanon de Le Corbusier, Roquebrune-Cap-Martin. The architect's vacation cabin at the Mediterranean, designed by himself. He drowned during a swimming trip while staying there.
- 12 Maison de la Culture de Firminy. The village of Firminy about 8 km southwest of Saint-Étienne is home to several buildings by the architect Le Corbusier. One of them, Maison de la culture de Firminy-Vert, is listed by UNESCO as a world heritage site.
- 13 Weissenhof Estate (Weißenhofsiedlung), Rathenaustraße 1- 3, Stuttgart. Tues - Fri: 11AM to 6PM Sat, Sun: 10AM to 6PM. A housing estate built for exhibition in 1927, features residential buildings by such famous architects like Le Corbusier, Peter Behrens, Walter Gropius and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. In two semi-detached houses, designed by Le Corbusier, there's a museum dedicated to the area. The historical building is not suitable for persons on wheelchairs. normal ticket €5, reduced €2.
- 14 The Capitol Complex (Chandigarh Capitol Complex), Sector 1. Most of the capitol complex is fenced off due to tight security, the open hand is accessible and from there you can see the main buildings, albeit in the distance. If you want a closer look at the Capitol, you need permission from the Tourist Bureau, in the ‘Deluxe Administration building’ in Sector 9, or (which is much more convenient) to the new tourist office just nearby the high court. Please note the capitol and bureau are only open on M-F. The tourist bureau is not well signed, you’ll need to ask. It’s in the single story building out the back. Bring your passport and prepare for the beginning of the most amazing experience in Indian bureaucracy. The tourist bureau gives you three letters giving you permission to visit the three main buildings of the Capitol complex, The Secretariat, the High Court and the Assembly, but it may take hours for you to obtain the letters.
- 15 National Museum of Western Art (国立西洋美術館, Kokuritsu Seiyō Bijutsukan?), Tokyo/Ueno. Daily 9:30AM-5PM. Houses an extensive collection of Western art, including the original of Rodin's famous The Thinker. Entry ¥420; free admission on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month.
- 16 Villa Le Lac (Petite villa au bord du lac Léman), Route de Lavaux 21, Corseaux (in the Corseaux district, west of downtown). Designed by Le Corbusier in 1923.