A few city buses run up to two times an hour. The city centre is manageable by foot.
The High TownEdit
The High Town (Højbyen) was the fortified medieval town, which bounderies can still be recognised even though the wall is not there anymore. Some buildings dating back from the 16th century are still there. Most of the town's historical cites can be found here.
- 1 Church of Our Lady (Vor Frue Kirke), Adelgade 19, ☏ . Service every Su; classical concerts now and then. Five towered church build around 1220 by Esbern Snare's daughter, Ingeborg, and located in the centre of the medieval High Town of Kalundborg. This church is unique with its Greek cross outlay (symbolising The Holy Jerusalem) with a tower in each end and a 41m tower in the middle. In 1827, the middle tower crashed and was rebuilt in 1871. Notice the famous altar tablet from 1650. Free.
- 2 [dead link] Kalundborg Museum, Adelgade 23 (Next to Church of Our Lady), ☏ . Jan-Apr, Sep-Nov: Sa, Su, public holidays 10am-4pm; week 7, 8, 42, December: daily 10am-4pm; May-Aug: daily 10am-5pm. City museum of historical and cultural development in and around Kalundborg from the oldest times till now. Located in an old farm dating back to around 1600. Most famous exhibitions are local clothes exhibition and an exhibition of a Viking settlement excavation. Adult DKK30, Child below 18 free.
- Castle and city wall remains (Below the church to the north and west). During the 12th century, a castle and a wall protecting the castle were built west of the medieval High Town, but both the castle and the fortification were given up a couple of centuries later. During the reign of Valdemar Atterdag (1340-1375) the High Town was fortified and the walls stood until the middle of the 17th century. Some ruins of both can still be seen. Free.
- 3 Former Bishop's Home (Biskopbolig), 6-8 Adelgade (A bit east of the Church of Our Lady). Built in 1450-1480 by the bishop of Roskilde who lived there when visiting the town. From 1854, part of the building was used as town hall and the basement as prison. In 1971, the building was renovated and used for town council meetings. Not open to the public.
- 4 Former Minister's Home (Præstebolig), 23 Præstegade (Next to the Church of Our Lady). Built in the beginning of the 16th century and one the oldest remaining residential buildings in northern Europe. Was converted to a hospital in 1854. Not open to the public.
Røsnæs is a 15km long peninsula stretching west from Kalundborg. It was shaped by the movement of glaciers during the Ice Age some 15-20,000 years ago.
- Dolmens (Stendysser) (Throughout Røsnæs, eg. one in Kongstrup and one more accessible south of Røsnæsvej just after 231 Røsnæsvej). There are a number of dolmens on Røsnæs. Dolmens are stone age graves comprising of a number of stone blocks.
- 5 Ulstrup Mill (Ulstrup Mølle), 365 Røsnæsvej, Ulstrup (Just southwest of Røsnæs Church in Ulstrup Village), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10AM-4PM. Dutch gallery mill. The cap of the mill could be turned manually to make the sails face the wind. The mill was built in 1894 as the former mill on the place had recently burned down. The mill was in use until 1956 and has recently been renovated. Free.
- 6 Røsnæs Church (Røsnæs Kirke), 4 Søbakken, Ulstrup, ☏ . Built in the 13th century.
- 7 Røsnæs Harbour (Røsnæs Havn), 100 Nybyvej, Ulstrup (Follow the signs from Ulstrup (2km)). Small and very quiet isolated harbour.
- Røsnæs Entrenchment (Røsnæs Skanse).
- 8 Røsnæs Lighthouse (Røsnæs Fyrtårn), 478 Røsnæsvej (At the tip of Røsnæs Peninsula). Built in 1844 and rebuilt in 1859. The lighthouse is adjoined with the lighthouse keepers house. The lighthouse is 15m high with a rotating lens. Notice the small lighthouse in the water northwest of the tip of Røsnæs. Free to watch from outside, but the lighthouse is presently not open to the public.
- 9 Gallery Bispegården, 6 Adelgade.
- Balle, Grete.
- 10 Keramikstuen, 53 Sandlodsvej, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Fr 1PM-5PM; Sa 10AM-2PM. Beautifully located gallery and shop with art and craftwork, including ceramics, lamps and clothes.
- Lundbye, J. Th. - tegninger.
- Lundsdal, Jack.
- Madsen, Hans Werner.
- Kaalund Monastery (Kaalund Kloster). Originally a Franciscan monastery from 1239. The monks were kicked out in 1532. The present building is from 1751 and houses municipal administration.
- 11 Raklev Church (Raklev Kirke). Built in 1547 as one of the first village churces after the reformation. Built by the now converted monks kicked out of Kaalund Monastery a few years earlier.
- Røsnæs by bike. Tour Røsnæs by bike.
- Røsnæs on foot.
- Gisseløre Beach.
- Eskebjerg Beach.
- 1 Ulstrup Sønderstrand Beach.
- Saltbæk Badebro Strand Beach.
- 1 Kordilgade.
- Restaurant Bispegaarden.
- 1 Edderfuglen Café og Spisested, 460 Røsnæsvej (Close to the tip of Røsnæs Peninsula), ☏ . Easter: daily; 1Apr-14Jun: Fr 5PM-9PM, Sa noon-9pm, Su noon-4PM; 15Jun-31Aug: Tu-Su; Sep: Fr-Su; 12-18Oct 11MA-4PM; open all year for groups of 12 to 40 persons. Lunch DKK85-169, dinner main dishes around DKK200.
- Ole Lunds Gaard.
- 3 Røsnæs Kro, 350 Røsnæsvej, Ulstrup, ☏ . We-Fr from 3PM, Sa-Su from noon. Serves primarily fast food, coffee and beer. One main course dish available 6PM-8PM, buffet available Su 1PM-5PM and 6PM-8PM, booking needed. A perfect place to watch the very slow local life. Coffee DKK15, beer from DKK18, main course or buffet around DKK100.
- 4 Slotskælderen, Kordilgade 40, ☏ .
- 1 Kings Pub, Kordilgade 10B, ☏ . Frequented by young locals, primarily high school students.
- 2 Havkatten, Skibbrogade 3, ☏ .
- 3 Lillebælt, Skibbrogade 5, ☏ . M-Th 8AM-11PM, F-Sa 8AM-2AM, Su 8AM-9PM.
- 4 Høvlen, Skibbrogade 13, ☏ .
- 5 [dead link] Café Bogart, Kordilgade 17 (In the middle of Kalundborg pedestrian street), ☏ . Mo-Th 10am-10pm; Fr-Sa 10am-3am; Su closed. Café with seetings both in and out. Interiur built over the theme "Bogart". Live music and other arrangements in the evening now and then. Coffee DKK17-25; beer from DKK22; main courses from DKK74.
- 6 Café Carlzon og Shooters, Kordilgade 52, ☏ .
- 7 Café Le Soleil, Kordilgade 29, ☏ .
- 1 Debbies Bed&Breakfast, 114 Hovvejen, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Rooms with free internet and television. Singles with shared bathroom 300 DKK; doubles with private bathroom 600 DKK; triples with private bathroom and kitchen 675 DKK.
- 2 [dead link] Elverdams Camping, 250 Røsnæsvej, ☏ . Situated in the middle of Røsnæs Peninsula and an ideal base for exploring Røsnæs, 300m away from the coast. Beautifully situated and landscaped site. Kitchen, toilet, bath, fireplace, playground and playing field available. 50 DKK.
- 3 Holmehuset bed and breakfast, 23 Kåstrup Holmevej, ☏ . This bed and breakfast has two doubles with shared facilities. Small kitchen, shared living room with TV and terrace available. One person in double room 250 DKK, two persons in double room 425 DKK, breakfast 40 DKK.
- 4 Højehus, Kalundborg Bed and Breakfast, 107 Kallerupvej, ☏ . Shared facilities. Living rooms with TV as well as a garden are available. 200 DKK.
- 5 Kalundborg Youth Hostel (Kalundborg Vandrehjem), 5 Stadion Alle, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Part of the Danhostel chain. Large rooms with private bathroom, table and chairs. Shared faciliteis include Guest kitchen, laudry facilities, TV room, living room, billad, table tennis, piano, childrens' playground, outdoor chess and outdoor grill. Dorm DKK180; private room from 520 DKK; membership card 35 DKK; breakfast 50 DKK; lunch box 85 DKK; bed linnen 60 DKK;.
- 7 Røsnæs Kro, 350 Røsnæsvej, Ulstrup, ☏ . Located in the middle of the Røsnæs peninsula, a perfect starting point for exploring Røsnæs. Singles 300 DKK, doubles 600 DKK.
- 9 [dead link] Strandlyst Bed&Breakfast, 10 Vestre Havnevej, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Bed&Breakfast in renovated old building. Rooms with shared bathroom. Singles from 435 DKK, doubles from 750 DKK, including breakfast.
- FDM Camping Bjerge Sydstrand.
- 10 Lykkebjerg, Snertinge.
- Myrehøj Bed&Breakfast.
- Sejerø Vandrehjem.
- Ugerløse Motel & Feriecenter.
- Vesterlyng Camping.
- 12 Kursuscenter Røsnæs, 60 Klintedalsvej, ☏ . Rooms with free internet. Singles without/with bathroom from DKK495/DKK610; doubles without/with bathroom DKK696/DKK836.
- 13 Kragerup Gods, Ruds-Vedby.
- Sejerø Spisehus og Hotel.
- 14 Skipperkroen, Mullerup Strandvej 19. DKK 200 main courses.