Vossevangen is a village in the municipality of Voss and a district in Hordaland, between the great fjords of Sogn and Hardanger. Voss is known to be the adventure capital of Norway. Voss is also the major winter destination in Hordaland with two ski resorts and long skiing traditions. Voss village is are surrounded by rivers, mountains, fjord and lakes, and there is a wide range of challenges at all levels.
Voss is the wide interior district in Hordaland county. Even if not directly at one of the great fjords, Voss is still a good base for a visit to fjords of Norway. From Voss the great Sognefjord and the romantic Hardangerfjord in less than 1 hour. In the area you will also find a wide range of activity providers - including rafting, paragliding, mountain walking and guided excursions. Year-round there is a lot of cultural events, the most famous being The Extreme Sports Week - the world's biggest extreme sports festival. Voss village, Vossevangen, sits a lovely lake, Vangsvatnet, and is a key station on the Bergen railway as well as a hub for roads Bergen-Oslo and roads north-south in the fjordland. From Voss the uplands at Myrdal and Finse is only an easy train ride away, areas that are available by train only. From Voss village several valleys stretches into the hinterland: Raundalen (with Bergen railway), towards Granvin and Hardanger, towards Myrkdalen, Vik/Vangsnes (road 13), and Opheim-Stalheim (road E16 to Gudvangen and Flåm).
As Bergen has unstable weather and little snow, many travel from Bergen to Voss for skiing. Voss has a drier and more stable weather, winters are colder and summer warmer. In the Myrkdalen there is often heavy snowfall making the new ski resort there popular. Myrkdalen in 2018 was ranked as the 5th best ski resort in Norway, up from 9th in 2017. Good off-piste options and children's area.
Voss has a long history, and have been welcoming international tourists for almost 200 years. Visitors come to experience the magnificent scenery - never-ending vistas of mountains and nearby glaciers and fjords, lakes and fast-flowing whitewater rivers - and to have plenty of active fun year round.
It is easy to get to Voss by train, bus and car from gateways such as Bergen and Oslo with a number of international arrivals. The town is centrally located in South West Norway, only somewhat more than 1 hour from Bergen, 6 hours from Oslo and ”In the Heart of Fjord Norway”, between the famous fjords Sognefjorden and Hardangerfjorden.
Bergen is the main gateway for both international and national arrivals to this part of Western Norway, for arrivals by plane, bus or boat. If you are on a round trip without a car, there are several destinations in the region that have connections to Voss by public transport. Here are the main gateways:
- Sognefjord area: Sogndal, Flåm/Gudvangen and Vik in Sogn
- Hardanger area: Ulvik, Kvanndal, Norheimsund
Bergen Airport Flesland is the closest airport to Voss, with non-stop international flights from larger scale European airports such as Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, London, Stockholm and Reykjavik. Low-cost airlines also operate non-stop flights to Bergen from international airports such as Paris, Berlin, Prague, Warsaw, Riga and London.
There are also, of course, direct flights from several Norwegian airports, including daily departures from Oslo Airport Gardermoen with SAS and Norwegian airlines.
Voss is a central stop on the Bergen Railway between Oslo and Bergen. The service to Bergen by train is fairly frequent, with several local trains making the run. The journey from Bergen takes about 75 minutes and costs kr 189 for one adult. Timetables available on the Norwegian State Railways (NSB) website.
At the time of construction the Bergen-Voss and Voss-Finse-Geilo stretches of railway were engineering achievments.
- Bergen - Voss:
- Route E16 via Arna and Dale (100 km, 1 hr 20 min)
- Oslo - Voss:
- Route E16 via Filefjell (420 km, 7 hr)
- Route 52 via Gol and Hemsedal (400 km, 6 hr 30 min)
- Route 50 via Hol and Aurland (380 km, 6 hr)
- Route 7 via Hardangervidda (400, 6 hr)
- Route 7 via Gol and Geilo (360, 5 hr 30 min)
- Ski lift to Mt Hanguren (return ticket: kr 100). The gondola lift to Hanguren has been dismantled. A new lift is expected to open in 2019.
- The railway runs east-west through Voss district serving Raundalen valley to the east and Evanger to the west.
- Northern part of Voss district (Stalheim, Oppheim and Myrkdalen ski resort) is available by bus and car.
- 1 Bordalsgjelet Gorge. The deep and dramatic Bordalsgjelet Gorge has information boards, viewpoints and benches. When snow and ice does not affect accessibility you can also follow a footpath that leads alongside the gorge. Here you will have excellent views of the fascinating potholes. Remember, however, for your own safety: Keep to the marked footpaths.
- 2 Stalheimskleiva (35 km (22 mi) north of Voss driving on the E16). One of the steepest roads in Northern Europe, built during 1842-1846. The road has 13 hairpin bends, with Stalheim Hotel located at the top overlooking the road and the Nærøy Valley. On either side of the road you can see the Stalheim Waterfall (126 m) and the Sivle Waterfall (142 m). Stalheimskleiva is a one-way road going down.
- 3 Tvindefossen Waterfall (12 km (7 mi) north of Voss driving on the E16). A 152-metre waterfall by Tvinde Camping. There is a road/footpath to the top of the falls. Kiosk. This walk combines well with a Car Walk, either to Afdal-Prestølen or Leidal-Hustveit.
- 4 Skjervet waterfall (Skjervesfossen), Skjervesvegen, Granvin (When driving between Granvin and Voss in the summer, you can drive the old road Skjervesvegen through Skjervet instead of the new tunnel.). 24 h. It's a steep valley with hairpin bends and waterfall. At the top, you are able to park the car and enjoy the view. Free.
- 5 Swimming pool, Prestegardsmoen. Near Voss Camping in Prestegardsmoen there is an outdoor swimming pool with a diving tower plus three water chutes and a paddling pool. Fun for the whole family. Kiosk available for refreshments, ice, chocolate etc.
With two ski centres and long skiing traditions, Voss is a popular and one of the most established ski destinations in Norway. It is not without reason that World Cup Events are frequently held here. Voss is also one of the most natural snow-reliable ski destinations in Norway. On altogether some 50 kilometers of well prepared alpine slopes, you can ski in varying terrain from nursery slopes to demanding terrain for the most experienced. There are also great possibilities for cross-country skiing in Voss, in close proximity to the ski centres as well as in the wider Voss area. Services and facilities in the two ski centres include: terrain parks, ski schools and ski rentals, children's play areas, food & drink facilities and areas for cross country skiing.
- 1 Voss Resort (5 kilometres North of town centre). The Voss Resort is one of the longest established ski centres in Norway and its welcome centre is situated in Bavallen.
- 2 Voss Fjellandsby - Myrkdalen (25 kilometres North of town centre). The area of Myrkdalen where you can find the welcome centre of Voss Fjellandsby - or "Voss Mountain Village" if translated into English.
- Guided Tours. For small and large groups Voss Rafting Senter offers a range of guided tours during the winter months, from sunset snow shoes tours, to skiing tours in the hills around Voss.
- 3 Voss Rafting Senter, Nedkvitnesvegen 25, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Voss Rafting Senter has a broad spectrum of activities like white-water rafting, sportsrafting, riverboarding, waterfall rappelling, canyoning, obstacle course and wilderness camp for tourists, companies, bachelor parties, societies, schools and friends. All products are related to water sport and based on strict safety procedures and the crew is highly professional in all aspects. Voss Rafting Senter`s motto is to "Guarantee To Wet Your Pants!" under controlled settings. Voss Rafting can offer everything from adventures family rafting to extreme rafting trips in world class. Activities from kr 330.
- 4 Voss Golf, Golfparken 3, Skulestadmoen Voss, ☏ .
- 5 Voss Gondola, Voss railway station. Gondola lift from the railway station to Hanguren summit, fine panorama of Voss district. 395 NOK (round trip).
- 1 Tre Brør Café, Vangsgata 28 (on the town square), ☏ . Su–Th 11:00–21:00, F Sa 11:00–01:00. Great place for lunch, dinner or a drink. Has a comfortable and cosy setting. Main course: kr 85-185.
- 2 Store Ringheim Restaurant, Molstervegen 44 (Follow Ringheimsvegen from the town center approx 1km, then turn left and follow Molstervegen 400 m), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Thur - sun 17:00 - 21:00. Inside a restored old barn at Store Ringheim, offers set menus and an ala carte menu. There is a strict policy to make all food from scratch. Also they strive to find the best local ingredients from local farmers or in the nature. There is also a patio, where the meals can be enjoyed outside, in good weather conditions.
- 1 Voss Bryggeri, Kytesvegen 396, 5706 Voss. Thursdays 16.00-19.00 Fridays 16.00-19.00.. Brewery with a fairly large selection on tap, but do note the short opening hours. You can buy growlers (large bottles) there too. You must pay a kr 100 for a growler, which is refundable when you return it empty.
- 1 Voss Camping, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Tent: kr 150, Cabin for 2 people: kr 600.
- 2 Tvinde Camping, Tvinde (12 km (7 mi) north of Voss), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Voss Hostel (Voss Vandrerhjem), Evangervegen 68, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Dorm: kr 335, Summer dorm: kr 235 (sleeping bag needed, shared showers/toilets), Double: kr 930, 10% discount with HI membership, rates include bed linen and breakfast.
- 4 Fleischer's Hotel, Evangervegen 13 (Next to the railwaystation), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Fleischer's Hotel is an old hotel that in the past has been visited by royalty and nobility as well as the ordinary tourist and traveler. Modern comfort and facilities have been incorporated into the old building in a natural way. All rooms have en suite bathroom, mini-bar, telephone and television. Amenities include a restaurant, bar, swimming pool, solarium, Jacuzzi and sauna, as well as a separate conference section.
- 5 Jarl Hotel, Elvegata 9, ☏ , fax: . Hotel Jarl is a modern family-run hotel in the centre of Voss - by the river "Vosso". All rooms have bathroom, TV and mini bar. Swimming hall, sauna and solarium. Light and intimate restaurant, lounge and bar. Large car park. Free transport to the railway station and the alpine centre.
- 6 Park Hotel Vossevangen, Uttrågata 3 (located centrally, close to Vangsvatnet), ☏ , fax: . Park Hotel Vossevangen has 131 rooms, including 15 deluxe rooms and a side wing with multi-bed rooms. All rooms have their own bathroom and toilet.
- Restaurant Elysée. International cuisine based on local ingredients, comprehensive wine menu. Excellent food and wine. Choose from the a la carte menu, or order a 3, 4 or 5 course set menu with wine.
- Café Stationen. A cafe with a distinctive character and good atmosphere all year round. Outside seating during the summer.
- Pianissimo Piano Bar. A Cosy piano bar is located in the middle of the hotel. Sink down into a comfy chair, relax with a drink from the well stocked bar, and be entertained by evening performers from Monday to Saturday.
- Pentagon Night Club. F Sa 22:00–02:00. Pentagon is one of the biggest night spots in Voss. It is busy, with good dance music and a great atmosphere.
- Winecellar. Extensive winecellar. The most comprehensive wine collection in Norway. Wine tasting and wine seminar.
- 7 Gamlahuset, Kvåle i Raundalen, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Gamlahuset is located at the small farm Kvale in the valley Raundalen at Voss, approximately 17 kilometers east of the centre of Voss. Gamlahuset has two big living rooms, three bedrooms, kitchen, two toilets and a bathroom. There are beds for 8 persons. The house, which is from around year 1800, was renovated in 2007. In several of the rooms the authentic style is kept. The house is 100m². Weekend prices from kr 1500 and week from kr 2500.
- 8 Store Ringheim Hotell og Restaurant, Molstervegen 44 (Take Ringheimsvegen from the center for about 1km, then Mølstervegen about 400m), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. Beautiful boutique style hotel in an old restored farm building situated on the hillside 1.2km from Voss center. The place offers a stunning view over nearby farm landscape and distant forests and snow patched mountains. 6 unique rooms with good beds and ensuite bathrooms, flat screen TV, free Wi-Fi, free parking and a choice of complimentary tees and coffes. Daily service of the rooms and a good breakfast with many local, high quality products.
Voss is a convenient place to stay while exploring the Hardangerfjord to the south of Voss. As it is located on the Bergensbanen railway, a stay here can also be combined with a day-trip to Flåm with the Flåm railway (starts on Myrdal station on Bergensbanen).
- Route 13 over the mountain to Vik, and further to Balestrand.
- Other destinations on Sognefjord
- Romantic Hardanger
- Geilo in Hallingdal
|Routes through Voss|
|Edinburgh (unconnected) ← Bergen ←||W E||→ Stalheim → Gudvangen → Oslo|