Zaporizhia (Ukrainian: Запоріжжя), also known as Zaporozhye (Russian: Запорожье) is a city in Ukraine.
The name Zaporizhia means "beyond the rapids". Before the Dniproges Dam was built, the rapids on the Dniepr River were a notorious impediment to navigation.
Ukrainian is the official language, but a slight majority of the city's residents speak Russian as their first language.
Zaporozhia is around 10 hours away from Kiev via train. There is one daily departure and several night trains heading in both directions. Tickets may be purchased online from the official booking service[dead link] and will cost US$10-50 depending on class. There are also daily trains from Moscow, Minsk, Simferopol, and Kharkiv, arriving at 1 Zaporizhzhia-1 Train Station.
For the adventurous or cash-strapped, there are also several daily marshrutkas departing from outside Kiev train station. Expect to take around 10 hours. There are also many marshrutkas from neighbouring cities.
For those who prefer to fly, Ukrainian International Airlines and Motor Sich Airlines have scheduled flights from Kyiv, Turkish Airlines and Pegasus Airlines[dead link] fly from Istanbul and LOT Polish Airlines fly from Warsaw. The 2 Zaporizhzhia International Airport is about 20 minutes northeast of the downtown area.
Main transport Zaporozhye - route taxis (express-buses, here also called "marshrutka"), routes of which are led all around the city. Besides them there are bus, trolleybus and tram (streetcar) routes.
The main traffic artery - Lenin, Ave. through which runs most of the routes. Here also all of the major interchange junctions are located:
- intersection with Metallurov ave. Routes to Khortytsya island, Khortitsky (also called Baburka), Osipenkovsky, Borodinsky districts, Verkhnya Khortytsya, Veliky Lug, Pavlo-Kichkas.
- intersection with Shevchenk blvd. Routes to Pryberezhna magistral.
- intersection with the Lermontova st. (mall "Ukraine"). Routes to Pavlo-Kichkas, factory zone
- Pushkin Square. Routes to Shevchenkovsky district, airport.
- market Angolenko (intersection with the Angolenko st.). Routes to Shevchenko district, airport.
- central bus station. Routes on Kosmichesky District, Yuzhny (Peski).
The cost of transport:
Route taxis - 1.75-3.25 грн (most 2.50 грн) Buses - 1.50-2.25 грн Trolleybuses - 1.50 грн Trams (streetcars) - 1.50 грн
Also in the city there are taxis. Taxis should be called on the phone, rather than taken from a road.
- Khortytsia Island, has a long and rich history. The granite cliffs on the island are also spectacular.
- Dniproges Dam, the largest dam in Europe when it was built. At the end of Prospekt Lenina. The park nearby offers spectacular views of the dam and Khortytsia island.
- 1 Bohuslayev's Technics Museum (Музей Техніки Богуслаєва), Kopenkina St, 27А, ☏ +380 61 7204406. Also known as the Motor Sich Museum, this museum has a number of Soviet-built aircraft, motorcycles from 1930s to 1980s and open-air display of military equipment. Adult 10 грн, child 5 грн.
- 2 Popov Palace Museum (Дворцовый комплекс, Палацовий комплекс, державного історико-архітектурного музею-заповідника "Садиба Попова”), 12-16 Gagarina st, Vasylivka, Zaporizhia oblast (30 km south from Zaporizhia), ☏ +380 6175 7-73-88. British house, Coservation tower, 1894, No.2 tower, No.3 tower, ironwrought fence, coach house, mews, chapel, northern gate and guest outbuilding, landpark, all made in the 1890s, in neo-gothic style
All of the major clothing stores, jewelry Zaporozhye concentrated in shopping centers and along the avenue. Lenin from the intersection with the street. Leonova to pl. Festival.
Grocery stores in Zaporizhya are networks ATB, Silpo, Amstor, Auchan.
- ATB have been observed to be the cheapest supermarket, but with very meager assortment.
- Silpo - this is the average size of supermarkets. Prices are higher than in the ATB, but lower than other networks.
- Amstor - this is the format of regional supermarkets. Accordingly, they are located in almost all parts of the city. There is a wide range of products, but the prices are higher than in the ATB or Silpo.
- Auchan is only one in Zaporizhya. It is at the intersection of Pryberezhna magistral and Zaporiz'ka st. Hypermarket is a generator of City Mall. Next to it there is also a building materials hypermarket Epicenter.
- Also there is Billa store in Zaporizhya presented, but the prices are sky-high in it and the inhabitants of Zaporozhye will not recommend it to you.
Specialty shops alcoholicEdit
Alcoholic beverages are best to buy in specialized stores - so you can avoid falsification. In Zaporizhya there are two networks of alcohol markets:
- Meadow (Polyana) is located at 3-B Gagarin st., Gagarin mall near the intersection Lenin ave./Gagarin st.
- Wines of the world (Vina Mira).
Each district in Zaporizhya have 1-2 local grocery market. Their location can be obtained from local residents.
In addition, there are two large flea market in Zaporizhya: Angolenko and Voznesenovsky markets.
Market Angolenko is on the street. Angolenko, just called and bus stops. Entrance to the market as possible by the Shevchenko district, and from the Ave. Lenin.
Voznesenovsky market is located between the Pobedy ave. and Pryberezhna magistral closer tiothe Dnieper from Festival square.
There are three shops networks of household in Zaporizhya: Eva, Prostor, Lotos
- 1 Pizza City, 7 Dobrolyubova St, ☏ +380 66 88-48-036, +380 68 448-83-97. 10:00-22:00. English-speaking staff. 40 грн per person.
- 1 Teatralny Hotel (Театральний), Troitska St, 23, ☏ +380 61 2288000. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00.