Asaba is a town in Delta State, South South Nigeria. It is also the administrative capital of the state and falls at the west bank of River Niger.
Asaba originated from the exclamation Ahabam, a quote from the Nnebisi the founding father of Asaba, meaning "I have chosen well". Igbo is the native language of Asaba and 95% of the residents speak Igbo.
The city of Asaba was founded in 1884 and was once the colonial capital of the Southern Nigeria Protectorate. Between 1886 and 1900, it hosted the Royal Niger Company, which the British authorities set up to stimulate trade and the exportation of goods to England. The River Niger is a trans-African link beginning from East Africa and down into the Atlantic Ocean. Asaba forms a connector between western, eastern and northern Nigeria through the River Niger from the north and via the Asaba Niger Bridge. The Asaba Niger bridge is an east-west link and a Nigeria landmark.
Asaba lies approximately 6 degrees north of the equator and about the same distance east of the meridian; about 160 km north of where the River Niger flows into the Atlantic Ocean. The greater Asaba occupies an area of about 300 km². It maintains an average tropical temperature of 90 °F (32 °C) during the dry season and an average fertile rainfall of 15 cm during the rainy season. Asaba is known to be rich in crude oil.
- 1 Asaba international airport (ABB IATA), Asaba, ☏ +2349038938546. The airport handles domestic services connecting the city to Nigeria's major metropolitan centres. There are duty-free stores, a bar, a restaurant, a children's room, and a lounge for business and social activities. Free Wi-Fi.
You can get into Asaba by booking a seat with bus companies like Delta line, Yusuf Oniyan, Okin Express, Ife-Ire Transit which offers daily services from major cities (Ibadan,Ilorin, Lagos). The price these bus companies charges varies. Fare from Ilorin to Asaba ranges from ₦14,100 to ₦15,000 (2023). It is approximately a 9-hr journey from Ilorin.
- The statue of the Omu. The name “Omu” in their local dialect means “palm frond", and palm frond means “fertility”. The palm tree is female, and the frond connotes fertility. The statue of Omu represents the women's leader and voice.
- Princess Ojife statue. The story of Princess Ojife speaks on how she saved her people. The people cried to the gods for help and a human sacrifice was required which Princess Ojife offered with her only daughter to save the Asaba people.
- Grand Hotel Asaba. The Grand Hotel sits on the Niger River and it's a nice place to enjoy the elegant atmosphere and statues.
- The Asaba Heritage Centre, It displays the history and culture of the city
- The Nike Lake Resort,a great area for leisure and pleasure
- Asaba Independence Square, a historical marker that commemorates the location of the designation of Asaba as the capital of the then Western Nigeria
- The Asaba Stadium
- 1 Second Niger bridge. This bridge over the Niger, built in 1965, connects the cities of Asaba in the Delta state on the western bank and Onitsha in the Anambra state on the eastern bank.
- Landers Brother Anchorage Monument. The anchorage is a kind of memorial in honour of the Lander Brothers who anchored in Asaba in the 18th century during their expedition to discover where the River Niger entered the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1 Ogbeogonogo market, Nnebisi Road, Umuonaje, ☏ +234 706 335 0490. 8AM - 6PM.
- 2 Okwe market, Market square, Okwe. 7AM - 8:30PM.
- Abraka Market, Cablepoint. 6AM - 8PM.
- Asaba Modern Market, Nut Road, Umuagu,. 8AM - 9PM.
- Midwifery Market, Behind midwifery market, Okpanam Rd, GRA Phase I, ☏ +234 816 162 4528. 24/7.
- Iyanga Market, Coka express, Chief Ezenwa Street, off Ibusa Road. Su-Tu 7:30AM - 6PM.
- Oko market
- 1 Chefnfoodiz, Chukwufumnanya Back of NTA. M-F 8AM-5PM. Curbside pickup, no delivery.
- Rodina Restaurant, Asaba, Government House Rd, Umuagu. 7AM - 10PM. Service options: Dine-in, takeaway, delivery.
- Delta food mart, Kilometer 10 Peculiar Building Delta, Anwai Road, GRA Phase I. Takeaway.
- K P R Resturant, DLA Rd, Umuagu. Dine-in, takeaway, delivery.
- Iyara Side African Kitchen, Okpanam Rd, GRA Phase I, ☏ +234 706 685 7306. 9AM - 7PM. Dine-in, takeaway, delivery.
- Igho's kitchen, 6, junior staff quaters road, off Okpanam Rd, 320211, ☏ +234 806 267 7876. 24/7. Dine-in, takeaway, delivery.
- Afroview kitchen, Afroview Hotel and Apartments, off Maria Babangida Way, Central Area, ☏ +234 907 520 8072. 9AM - 5PM. Dine-in, takeaway, delivery.
- 2 New Mandarin Chinese Restaurant, Events Center Okpanam Road, opposite DBS junction, ☏ +234 813 033 0910. 11AM - 10PM. Dine-in, takeaway, delivery.
- 3 Peptoma Tasty Cuisine, Okpanam Rd, GRA Phase I, ☏ +234 802 324 3901. 10AM - 5PM. Dine-in, takeaway, delivery.
- kilimanjaro restaurant, Nnebisi road, Isieke. open _ closes 10pm.
- Chicken Republic, 5PRR+XH4, Dennis Osadebe Way, Cable Point, ☏ 08061495792 . open _ closes 9pm.
Most bars, cafes or lounges usually includes a restaurant.
- The Rodinia Restaurant and Bar, Summit Junction by Rain Oil filling Station, ☏ +234 703 062 5563. 8AM - 10PM. Closed on Wednesdays. Dine-in or takeaway.
- Espana Grillz Restaurant & Cocktail lounge, Adjacent Swiss Spirit Madezok hotel, Plot 130 Okpanam Rd. 10AM - 9PM. Dine-in, takeaway, delivery.
- Grill House Cafe, No. 1Wilfred Iwene Street off, DBS Rd, ☏ +234 811 770 9868. 9AM - 9:30PM. Dine-in, takeaway, delivery.
- De Iceberg, Illah Road, GRA Phase I, ☏ +234 808 754 7859. M-Sa 9AM - 9:30PM, Su 1PM-9:30PM. Dine-in, takeaway.
- Squash Court, Govt House: Ibrahim Kefas Court, GRA Phase 1. +234 807 642 0461. Take away, dine-in, bar games, great bar food, great cocktails, sport, wine, alcohol, beer, casual, cosy etc.
- Best Western Plus Elomaz Hotel Asaba, Plot 22 A/B-27, Core Area, DBS Road, GRA. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. 24-hour front desk, room service at limited hours, laundry/dry cleaning services, business centre, luggage storage room, 24-hour airport shuttle, daily housekeeping, hair salon, free newspapers in the lobby, concierge at a surcharge fee, free private parking, no pets and cribs.
- 1 GQ Suites Asaba, Plot 4 Ogagifo Street, Beside Junior Staff Quarters, Off Summit Road. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. The nearest airport is the Asaba International Airport which is a 26-minute drive away. GQ Suites Asaba has 24 hours power supply, free parking space, laundry/dry cleaning services, car hire, ironing services, concierge, 24hour room service available on request, a gym with expert trainers, an on-site restaurant, a bar with alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
- 2 Lone Palm Hotel, 45 Ezenie Avenue Ezenie Road. Lone Palm Hotel's rooms are divided into Single, Standard, Royal, Executive, Family Suites and Royal Suites. Each room is equipped with amenities such as an air conditioner, TV with satellite reception, private bathroom with bathtub, refrigerator, telephone, work chair and table. The hotel offers 24-hour security, a cocktail bar, free Wifi access, laundry services and no pets.
- Orchid Hotels, DBS Road GRA. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. Free Wi-Fi access, swimming pool, a restaurant, an in-house sports bar and an outdoor pool lounge, a car park that can accommodate 250 vehicles, on-site unisex boutique, meeting rooms, and a 1,500 sitting capacity events centre, car hire, laundry/dry cleaning, 24-hour room service and concierge on request.
- 3 Hotel Benizia, 1-4 Kingsley Emu Street, Behind Fine Homes, Off Summit Road. Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. 24-hour room service, power supply, security network; a private room check-in service; concierge and laundry service; mini-bar; an outdoor bar with a live band; barbeque fish joint and games room; a gym; swimming pool; on-site restaurant; a pastry shop; a retail shop; conference halls; board rooms; and meeting rooms. No pets, and no payments for kids. A
- The Rodinia Hotel, 3 Ogochukwu Moyeta Street, Off Summit/DLA Road. Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. No pets allowed, no payments for all children, on site restaurant, free WiFi access, a bar, and free parking.
- Seth Hotel, No 2 Anam Cresent, Oduke Okwe Asaba. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. Gym, outdoor pool, V.I.P bar, restaurant, gym, mini mate, event hall, CCTV cameras, standard trained security men and mobile policemen, laundry and dry cleaning services.
- TIPLE A Exclusive Hotel, college of education road, Ezenei 320242, ☏ 09039066242 .
- Best Western Plus Elomaz Hotel, Plot 22 A/B-27 Core Area, DBS Rd, Gra, ☏ 0803 819 3264 .
- Benin city