Aurora is a city of 276,000 in the Denver Area of Colorado. As of 2010 it was the 56th largest city in America. In 2008 it was named the "All American City." Aurora and Denver are the principal cities of the Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area, which in 2007 had an estimated population of around 2½ million people. It is split between three different counties, spanning Arapahoe, Adams, and Douglas.
Aurora originated in the 1880s as a town called Fletcher, taking its name from Denver businessman Donald Fletcher who founded the town. He and his partners staked out 4 sq mi east of Denver. He left two years later during the silver crash, leaving the community with a huge water debt. Inhabitants decided to rename their township Aurora in 1907. It has been growing ever since then and at one time was the fastest growing city in America.
Aurora has all four seasons of weather. Remember that it is very near the Rocky Mountains and weather can change very quickly from starting out sunny to snowing within a few hours.
Spring usually comes around May. There is still a chance of snow but usually the snow won't stick because of temperature at that time of year.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Must-haves for winter in Aurora
Between November and March, pack the following:
On the colder days you need to maintain your core temperature, but your extremities will be where you feel the cold first. Bring the following:
With Aurora's considerable sprawl, car rentals are the most convenient form of transportation for visitors. Local companies tend to offer better prices, but national chains might be more convenient as far as return policies and hours.Rental companies include most major car rental chains
Weather conditions The colder weather months (November–February) often bring snow and ice to area roads. Visitors who park their cars should be prepared in case their car is "snowed in" by snow removal trucks. Also, pay strict attention to parking rules and snow emergencies to avoid being towed away at the car owner's expense. During the winter months, a snow brush, ice scraper, and plenty of windshield washer fluid is essential, and many natives opt to carry a shovel, some sand, and a bag of ice melt/road salt in the trunk just in case.
By plane then you are coming from Denver International Airport which isn't too far away. Denver International Airport, (DEN IATA). Commonly referred to as DIA. It is about 20 miles to the east of downtown Denver. Frontier Airlines, United Airlines, and Southwest Airlines all maintain hubs at the airport in Concourses A, B, and C respectively. Most other major domestic carriers also have service here.
You can get around with local transit via RTD. The new light rail R line runs in a north-south direction and is an useful way of getting around. 1 Aurora Metro Center Station, near the Aurora Mall, is the preferred station for changing between local buses and light rail.
Aurora has over a dozen historical sites to see ranging from historical farms, buildings and homes.
- 1 Aurora History Museum, 15051 E Alameda Pkwy, ☏ . 9AM-4PM daily. The Aurora History Museum is a community-based cultural center featuring changing history and decorative arts exhibits with educational programs, tours, workshops and family events offered for all ages throughout the year. Free.
- Plains Conservation Center, 21901 E Hampden Ave. An outdoor education area with 1100 acres, it shows the natural wonder of the Prairie. Free.
- The Morrison Nature Center at Star K Ranch, 16002 E Smith Rd, ☏ . A 200-acre ranch and outdoor learning center. Free.
- The Aurora Fox (email@example.com), 9900 E Colfax Ave, ☏ . Professional theatre in the heart of the East End Arts District.
- Golfing. Aurora has 7 golf courses throughout the city, perhaps the most famous one is the 18 hole Fitzsimons Golf Course on the former Army base, which President Eisenhower regarded as one of his favorites.
- Aurora Reservoir, 5800 S Powhaton Rd, ☏ . A wide array of activities can be done here like fishing, sailing, non-motorized boating, windsurfing, a seasonal swim beach (Check website to see when open), SCUBA area, archery range, and large group picnic shelters, also has 8 miles of concrete trails around the reservoir.
- Cherry Creek State Park, 4201 S Parker Rd (One mile south of I-225 on Parker Rd at Lehigh, adjacent to south Denver), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 5AM-10PM daily. An 880-acre reservoir that offers a multitude of outdoor activities and unique activities such as horseback riding and a shooting range. You can also do boating, hiking, fishing, camping and biking.
- Quincy Reservoir, 18350 E Quincy Ave, ☏ .
- Arapahoe Park Racetrack, 26000 E Quincy Ave (in southeast Aurora next to the Aurora Reservoir. From Denver, take I-25 south to toll road E-470. Exit E-470 on Quincy Ave (Exit 13) and follow the signs to the racetrack), ☏ . Open from Memorial Day through the beginning of August. Live racing is held F-Su with a post time of 1PM. Colorado's only venue for forse racing. Dress code is casual. Serves food that you would find at most places: hot dogs, hamburgers etc.
- Aurora Skate Park, 2500 S Wheel Park Circle.
- Fourth of July Spectacular
- Asian Annual Film Festival
- Southlands, 6155 S Main St, ☏ . Southlands is home to some of today's leading retailers and restaurants including Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, Coldwater Creek, Francesca's Collections, The Gap, J. Jill, McCabe's Irish Bistro & Pub, Ted's Montana Grill, Tilly's, Wine Experience Café and World Cellar Wine, Beer & Spirits and many more.
- Aurora Mall, 14200 E Alameda Ave, ☏ . Your typical mall its two stories and has most of the stores that you would see in your typical American mall.
|This page uses the following price ranges for a typical meal for one, including soft drink:|
|Budget||$10 or less|
|Splurge||$20 or more|
Aurora has many typical fast food joints: Wendys, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell etc.
There's a number of restaurants serving the cheap and filling Vietnamese dish Pho throughout Aurora and the surrounding area. Each restaurant however tends to use different names for the dish.
- 1 Sam's No 3, 2580 S Havana St, ☏ . Was featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the episode “Porktastic”. Known around the area for its Green Chili. Serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Serves a mix of American and Mexican food with some Greek specialties.
- 2 Rosie's Diner, 14061 E Iliff Ave, ☏ . The definition of a classic American diner.
- 3 Carrabba's Italian Grill, 2088 S Abilene St (I-225 to Iliff Rd. Go east 1/2 block. Go north on Abilene 1/4 mile. Located on east side of road), ☏ . 4PM-11PM daily. Carrabba's serves fresh, flavorful Italian dishes prepared from the finest ingredients sourced from around the world.
- 4 Sushi Katsu, 2222 S Havana St #H, ☏ . This is an all-you-can-eat sushi joint that serves delicious sushi and other Japanese food. Its $26 per person at dinner time and at lunch its half that.
- 5 China Jade, 12203 E Iliff Ave #D, ☏ .
- 6 Seoul Korean BBQ & Sushi, 2080 S Havana St, ☏ . Korean BBQ.
- 7 Bender's Brat Haus Inc, 700 S Buckley Rd #A, ☏ . M-W 10AM-4PM, Th-Sa 1AM-8AM.
- Club Mixx, 11249 E Colfax Ave, ☏ .
- 1 Stampede, 2430 S Havana St, ☏ . A local country club where you can do line dancing. It's pretty large with a few bars inside. Also has a mesquite grill restaurant you can eat. Its ladies nights are known for drawing a huge crowd.
- 2 Sheabeen Irish Pub, 2300 S Chambers Rd #A, ☏ . Has a few pool tables and electronic video games like Deer Hunter, also does karoke on Sundays that is themed.
- 3 Rack'em Billiards And Sports Bar, 1919 S Havana St, ☏ . Has over a dozen pool tables, also has dart boards and foosball. Also does beer pong tournaments on Thursdays.
- Best Western Gateway Inn & Suites, 800 S Abilene St, ☏ , fax: .
- Cambria Suites Denver Airport, 16001 E 40th Circle, ☏ , fax: .
- Denver Airport Marriott at Gateway Park, 16455 E 40th Circle, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Doubletree Hotel, 13696 East Iliff Pl, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon.
- Fairfield Inn, 13851 E Harvard Ave, ☏ , fax: .
- 1 Hyatt Place Denver Cherry Creek, 4150 East Mississippi Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon.
- Motel 6, 14031 E Iliff Ave, ☏ , fax: .
- Red Lion, 3200 S Parker Rd, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Wireless Internet access, telephones with voice mail, cable TV with premium movies, iron/ironing boards.
Aurora is part of the 303 and the 720 area codes.
Like the rest of the United States, the emergency number in Aurora is 911. This will connect you to the local emergency services (police, medical, and fire). If you need to report a crime to the police, such as a burglary (not in progress), minor assault (no injuries and not in progress), car theft, etc. Dial +1 720 913-2000 and request for police assistance.
The Aurora Police is the main police force.
As in any city, use common sense. Simply using caution and avoiding any situation in which you are uncomfortable will keep you out of trouble.
|Routes through Aurora|
|Grand Junction/Rocky Mountain N.P. ← Denver ←||W E||→ Strasburg → Hays/St. Joseph|
|Steamboat Springs/Fort Collins ← Denver ←||W E||→ Strasburg → Limon|