Bawean is an island in East Java. Its natural tural attractions include the Lake Kastoba, hot springs Kebundaya and Taubat, waterfalls Lachchar and Patar Selamat, the caves in the central part of the island, sandy beaches and coral reefs on the coast.
Bawean means "sunlight exists" in Sanskrit, which 14th-century shipwrecked sailors are said to have exclaimed upon seeing clear skies here after days of stormy seas.
Bawean lies 150 km (93 miles) north of Surabaya in the Java Sea, off the coast of Java.
Most of the island is hilly, except for the narrow coast and a plain in the southwestern part; it is therefore also called locally as "island of 99 hills". Bawean is dominated by an extinct volcano at its center that rises to 655 meters (2,149 feet) above sea level.
In 2022, it had a population of 83,000 people in 2022, but a large share of the male population lives off the island temporarily, resulting in a female-dominated resident population, and the nickname, "Island of Women".
The rainy season lasts from December to March.
The most population speaks Baweanese, a creole language of Madurese. Nonetheless, they understand Indonesian.
Get in edit
By plane edit
By boat edit
There is a daily ferry from Gresik.
Get around edit
You may get around the island of Bawean by rented motorcycle or using ojek (motorcycle taxi).
- 1 Lake Kastoba (Danau Kastoba). Located in the middle of the island with a height of 400 meters above sea level.
- 2 Grojogan Candi Waterfall (Air Terjun Candi), Balikterus.
- 3 Lachchar (Laccar) Waterfall.
- Murtalaya Waterfall.
- 4 Patar Selamat Waterfall (Air Terjun Lalake Kuduk-Kuduk).
- 5 Deer Reserve (Penangkaran Rusa Bawean), Suwari. Bawean deer (Axis kuhlii), also known as Kuhl's hog deer or Bawean hog deer, is a highly threatened species of deer found only on the island.
Nearby islands edit
Boating to the islands around Bawean, you may do snorkeling or just stroll around the islands.
Hot springs edit
You may take a hot bath at some natural hot pools.
- Air Panas Kebun Daya.
- Air Panas Taubat.
- 5 Air Panas Kepuhlegundi (Mandi Terapi Air Belirang), Tambak.
Even though Bawean is an island, you can still withdraw cash from several ATMs served by the national bank, BRI as well as the provincial bank, Bank Jatim.
The food in Bawean is dominated by seafood.
Bawean cuisine edit
- Koncok-koncok, Bawean fish cake made from mackerel tuna.
- Nasek ghulung, rice cooked in banana leaves served with grilled fish and meat floss.
- Posot-posot, fish cracker.
- Tomes telur ikan tongkol, mackerel tuna eggs in spicy sauce.
- Kella celok, fish soup.
- Tono-tono jhukok, grilled fish.
Places to eat edit
- 1 Warung Nasi Bu Nor'a, Jl. Umar Mas'ud, Sawahmulya, Sangkapura. Open 05:00. Serves nasi campur (rice with veggies and protein side dishes) also fish crackers including posot-posot.
- 1 PPI Bawean, Kotakusuma, Sangkapura. Traditional market with various local dishes such as nasek ghulung and koncok-koncok.
- 2 Cafe Lestari, Gili Island, ☏ . Serves grilled fish, lobster, koncok-koncok, and bakso ikan (fishball soup).
- 3 Warung Pojok Merak City, Tanjungori, Tambak, ☏ . Serves grilled fish. They have a prayer room.
Try local drink wedang jaguar (jahe gula aren) made from ginger and aren palm sugar.
The telephone area code of Bawean is 0325.