Chikmagalur city (Chikkamagaluru district) is at the foot of highest mountain range in Karnataka. The life-supporting rivers of Karnataka and other states - Tunga, Bhadra, Hemavati, Vedavati, Yagachi originate in the Western Ghat hills of the district. The district is a great attraction to all kinds of people - trekkers, pilgrims, travellers and tourists. This area is famous for the coffee estates in the vicinity and also known as the Coffee Belt of the South.
Passenger trains are available from Shimoga and Kadur at a distance of 40km.
Arrivals and Departures from Chikkamagaluru Railway Station
- Train Number 56271: Shivamogga-Chikkamagaluru Passenger-Departs Shivamogga at 18:15 and arrives Chikkamagaluru at 21:30 [via; Kadur Jn]
- Train Number 56272: Chikkamagaluru-Shivamogga Passenger-Departs Chikkamagaluru at 06:30 and arrives Shivamogga at 09:30 [via; Kadur Jn]
- Train Number 56277: Chikkamagaluru-Yeshvantpur Jn Fast Passenger-Departs Chikkamagaluru at 07:30 and arrives Yeshvantpur Jn at 14:15 [via; Kadur Jn]
- Train Number 56278: Yeshvantpur Jn-Chikkamagaluru Fast Passenger-Departs Yeshvantpur Jn at 15:15 and arrives Chikkamagaluru at 22:20 [via; Kadur Jn]
- 1 Chikmagalur railway station.
Chikmagalur is located on the Highway from Hassan towards Shringeri and has regular Luxury as well as ordinary buses from Bangalore. Regular ordinary buses connect Chikmagalur to Mysore, Hassan with a single services to Calicut. Buses from interior Karnataka towards Mangalore too pass via Chikmagalur and hence, ordinary buses connect Chikmaglur regularly to Dharmastala, Mangalore, Shimoga, Davangere and Sringeri.
By taxi/car rentalEdit
You can hire a taxi or rent a car from Bangalore to visit Chikmagalur. Out station car rental companies charge for a minimum of 250 km/day @ a fare/km rate + driver charges (BA/TA: Boarding Allowance Travel Allowance). The fares depend upon the type of car you are looking for. It is advisable to rent cars from reliable and established car rental operators.
Drivers don't go by meters. They fix a charge for the place you want to go; bargaining is up to you. The more your attire and luggage announce that you are a tourist the greater the chance of drivers ripping you off.
Tourist Cabs are the best choice in case you want to tour the city all day or visit nearby places like Kemmannagundi. Costs are about ₹10 per kilometer
- 1 Amrutapura Temple, Amrutapura. This temple is located the village of Amrutapura 67 km north of Chikmagalur.
- 2 Veera Narayana Temple (Belavadi), Belavadi. The village Belavadi is home to this well known temple. It is located approximately 30 km from Chikmagature
- Shree Kshetra Horanadu Annapooraneshwari Temple (Buses not frequent from Chikmaglur. Regular buses available from Bangalore & Hassan via Mudigere). About 80 km from chikmaglur; Famous for the Annapooraneshwari Temple, or the Goddess of Food. Hence, Lunch and Dinner is a must have here, as it is considered a direct Prasadam by the Goddess. Located on bhadra River
The Roads wind around the ghats. Self driving not recommended, unless one is very familiar negotiating the ghat terrains regularly.
Taxies available as a package connecting Sringeri and horanadu and returning back to Chikmaglur on same day , at pre-fixed prices
- Kalasa Shiva Temple. Located 5 km from Horanadu. Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva a.k.a Lord Vishwanatha. Believed to be the Kashi of the South, owing to the presence of Annapooraneshwari Temple at 5 km distance, similar to Kashi Kshetra. Main attraction is the idols of a Male & Female Elephant pulling the trunk of the tree, the process of devouring a demon
- Sringeri Sharadha Peetham (Regular buses available). 100 km from Chikmaglur, is the Sharada peetham of Sringeri, established by Shri Adi Shankarar. It is said, that while Adi shankarar searched for a place for establishing a Devi Peetham, he reached the banks of Tunga River. It was raining heavily. At that moment, he noticed that a Frog was into labour, unable to move in the rain. A cobra, at this point, spread its hood and protected the frog from the rain . Adi shankarar concluded , that no other place could be better for establishing the Peetham and immediately chose it
sharada Devi, incarnation of Adi Parasakthi , in knowledge form, is the main deity. There is also an old Hoysala type Temple on the banks of Tunga River housing 3 other Sannidhis. The Ashrama of the Head, is on the other bank of the river, and a bridge connects across. The Ashrama has a very peaceful atmosphere
- B.B.Hills (Bababudangiri). Minibus starts from the Private busstand everyday by 12.30 pm. Once you reach B.B.Hills, you have just one hour to explore the hills because the same bus returns by 5 p.m. There is only one tea shop at B.B.Hills, so you have to beg for a plate of hot porottas. But you can skip the eating as the scenes are terrific.
- Devi Rammana Betta.
- Giridarshini, Mangalore Road (6 km).
- Kaimara. The road from Kaimara to Kemmannagundi is heavenly.
- Kemmanagundi (57 km). Rose garden also.
- Mullayangiri. highest point in South Karnataka- accessible only through private vehicles. Road leads almost to 80% of the peak and balance to be climbed by a fleet of stairs. Self driving not recommended, owing to steep ascent and blind curves enroute
- Rathnagiri. Good view of the city
- Chikmagalur Walk (5 km). Turn right from the chekpost bus stop on Kadur road. Walk past summit school upto Aldur village. Proceed to Railway station area. Visit the Brahmakumaris ashram on the way. Very scenic surroundings.
Available in plenty.
Do it before you arrive at Chikmagalur.
- Food Palace, R.G Rd. Fairly medium sized fast-food joint, ideal for breakfast as well. Very clean hotel.
- Hotel Kamat, Indira Gandhi Rd.
- Maharaja Restaurant, IG Rd. You will get very good non-veg food at very reasonable price. The service is very nice.
- Malnad Paradise, Indira Gandhi Rd.
- Mayura Vegetarian, Near Head Post Office. for Masala Dosai, a fermented crepe made from rice batter, black lentils, potato and onions. ₹35
- Raj Mahal Hotel, Indira Gandhi Rd.
- Salpicon, K.M Rd (head north-east on KM Rd. Pass by Gas Station (on the left). Destination is on the right, opp APMC Market and nearby to AIT college), ☏ . Open Mon 4PM-9:30PM; Tue-Sun 11:30AM-9:30PM. Burger shop with an unique flavour of herbs on it.
- Hotel Soundarya (Opposite to Chikmaglur bus stand).
- Castle Homestay, Kadabagere, Sangameshwar Pet Post, ☏ .
- Hotel Soundarya Residency and Hotel Soundarya Deluxe, Indira Gandhi Rd (nearby the bus stand).
- Town Canteen, Ratnagiri Rd (opposite DACG Polytechnic). Do not miss the Masala Dosa. One of the famous joints for them, they may beat even Vidyarthi Bhavan of Bangalore. Avoid extra butter.
- Eagle Eye Resort, Hoscodu Estate, Via – Sangameshwarpet (between Bhadra and Muthodi Wildlife Sanctuary Kadavanthi. From Chikmagalur follow the road about 45 km toward Aldur. From Aldur Junction turn right and travel until you reach a small church on the left. Turn right there. Total distance from Chikmagalur is about 45 km), ☏ . ₹1,400-₹4,000.
- The Gateway Hotel, K.M. Rd (opposite Pavitravana Jyothinagar), ☏ , .
- The Planters Court, K M Rd, ☏ .
- The Serai, Mugthihalli, K M Rd, Karnataka.
- Hotel Empire, Off Indira Gandhi Rd. Opened around Oct 2010, small but good rooms, clean bathrooms but questionable service. ₹1,000.
- Hotel Soundarya Residency, Indira Gandhi Rd. Some rooms have A/C.
- Raj Mahal Hotel, Indira Gandhi Road.
- 1 Gatikallu Homestay, 5 Kerekal Estate, Sunkasale Post, Mudigere (T), Aramane Thalagur, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tucked in a remote corner of Chikmagalur district. ₹1750.
- 2 Mekanagadde Homestay, Mekanagadde, Mudigere, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 11:00 Am, check-out: 11:00 Am. Scenic homestay within the Western Ghats of Chikmagalur. Serves authentic food. ₹2000.
- Eagle Eye Resort, Hoscodu Estate, Via – Sangameshwarpet. Between Bhadra and Muthodi Wildlife Sanctuary Kadavanthi (From Chikmagalur follow the road about 45 km toward Aldur. From Aldur Junction turn right and travel until you reach a small church on the left. Turn right there. Total distance from Chikmagalur is about 45 km), ☏ . Scenic resort with sports, volleyball, badminton and a bonfire in the evenings. River side picnic (extra cost of ₹500). Shooting and target practice cost ₹1,400-₹4,000 per day/person. Room/cottage/villa/glass-house with a mini skywalk. Room rate includes breakfast-lunch-dinner and tea in the morning and evening.
- The Gateway Hotel, K.M. Rd (Opposite Pavitravana Jyothinagar), ☏ . Restored colonial architecture in the coffee district, surrounded by sights and sounds of nature.
- The Planters Court, K M Rd, ☏ . Accommodation includes 3 suites. Multi cuisine restaurants serving local Malnad cuisine to North Indian, Chinese & European specialities.
- The Serai, Mugthihalli, K M Rd. Check-in: 2:30PM, check-out: 12:30PM.
- Thotadhahalli Home Stay, Thotadhahalli Estate, Kaimara (P), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
Post offices are available in Basavanahalli, Vijayapura, MG Rd and the General Post Office (GPO), at the end of MG Rd. BSNL mobile services are available at most places of this region.