Chongqing municipality is in Southwest China. It has of population of over 30 million and covers 82,403 km2 (31,816 sq mi).
- 1 816 Nuclear Military Plant (816地下核工厂), Baitao Town, Fuling District (涪陵区白涛镇) (Catch a high-speed train from Chongqing North to Fuling North. From there, take bus no. 101 to Luojia Gardens (罗家花园) and then transfer to bus no. 208A or 208C to get to the destination.). 09:00-17:30. An immense underground facility that was intended to be used for the production of nuclear weapons. Construction began in 1966 and was almost completed at the time the project was cancelled in 1984. Since no plutonium or other radioactive materials were actually processed here, it is therefore safe for visitors. Unlike other nuclear sites in China, the 816 Nuclear Military Plant is open to both Chinese and foreign visitors. ¥60.
- 2 Baiheliang Underwater Museum (White Crane Ridge Underwater Museum; 白鹤梁水下博物馆), 185 Binjiang Avenue 2nd Section, Fuling District (涪陵区滨江大道二段185号) (Catch a high-speed train from Chongqing North to Fuling North, then take bus no. 119 to get to the destination.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 9AM-5PM. This museum preserves an important archaeological site on the Yangtze River, a rock outcrop known as Baiheliang (literally translated as White Crane Ridge), which was used from the Tang Dynasty onward to record the river's water levels, but which is now fully submerged due to the completion of the Three Gorges Dam. ¥60.
- 3 Dafo Temple (Big Buddha Temple of Tongnan, 潼南大佛寺), Zitong Subdistrict, Tongnan District (潼南区梓潼街道) (Tongnan can be reached by bus in about 1.5 to 2 hours from Chen Jiaping Bus Station and other long-distance bus stations for about ¥43. The temple is 1.7 km from Tongnan Bus Station. To walk there after leaving the bus station, head north down Datong Street （大同街) until you get to Binjiang Road (滨江路) and then follow the river in a westerly direction.), ☏ . 08:30-17:30. About 108 kilometres northwest of central Chongqing is the district of Tongnan. Just north of the downtown area on the Fuijiang River is the Dafo Temple. It is 30 min outside the downtown area along the winding river banks. The highlight is a large 18-m high Buddha carved into the rock. Tourists are a rare occurrence at the temple and in this town you will be greeted with great interest and excitement on the part of the locals as is common in rural China. ¥50.
- 4 Fengdu Ghost Town (丰都鬼城), Mingshan Subdistrict, Fengdu County (丰都县名山街道) (Bus service to Fengdu is provided via the Chaotianmen Bus Station, the Sigongli Transport Hub and several other bus stations. Trains depart from the Chongqing North Station. Yangtze River cruise boats also stop here.), ☏ . 07:00-17:20. Fengdu's county seat is a river town on the banks of the Yangtze (Chang Jiang) River, about two hours by bus or one hour by train from Chongqing City. Across the river from the town is the Ghost Town which can be reached by ferry. Highlights include the authentic Buddhist Temple on Mt. Ming. April-November: ¥100, December-March: ¥60.
- 5 Jinfo Mountain (Gold Buddha Mountain; Mount Jinfo; JInfoshan; 金佛山), Nancheng Sub-District, Nanchuan District (南川区南城街道) (Direct buses to Jinfo Mountain depart daily at 07:30 from the InterContinental Chongqing. The fare is ¥40 one-way or ¥78 return and the journey time is probably about two hours.), toll-free: . 08:00-17:00. Large scenic mountain that is part of the South China Karst World Heritage Site and also a popular skiing destination. ¥190 (including cable car and sightseeing bus), extra charges apply for use of the ski field.
- 6 Qixia Temple (Qixia Palace, 栖霞宫), Yunyang County (云阳县) (Catch a long distance bus to Yunyang County. The journey will probably take about 4 hours. After arriving at the county seat, you will need to catch a taxi or motorized pedicab to get to the temple), ☏ . The original name of this temple was Yunsheng Palace (云升宫). It is 5 km northwest of Yunyang Town. It was built in the Han Dynasty, but repaired many times in the Northern and Southern Dynasties. ¥10.
- 7 Three Natural Bridges (天生三桥) (Direct buses to the Xiannüshan Tourist Reception Center (仙女山镇游客接待中心) are available from both the Sigongli Tourist Transportation Center (四公里旅游集散中心) and the Longtou Temple Tourist Transportation Center (龙头寺旅游集散中心). The Xiannüshan Tourist Reception Center is the departure point for buses to the Three Natural Bridges and other destinations within the park.), ☏ . 08:00-17:00. A series of natural limestone bridges in Xiannüshan Town (仙女山镇), Wulong County. They lie within the Wulong Karst National Geology Park, itself a part of the South China Karst-Wulong Karst UNESCO World Heritage Site. In Chinese, the bridges are all named after dragons, namely the Tianglong (天龙桥, Sky Dragon), Qinglong (Azure Dragon) and Heilong (黑龙桥, Black Dragon) bridges. ¥95 during low season (November to March), ¥135 during peak season (April to October).
- 8 Wanzhou Grand Falls (万州大瀑布), Ganning Town, Wanzhou District (万州区甘宁镇) (It takes about 4 hours to get from central Chongqing to Wanzhou by bus but you can get there in less than 100 minutes by high-speed train. Trains depart from the Chonqing North Station and arrive at Wanzhou North Station. From there, it's another 50km to the waterfall by taxi or local bus. Buses depart from Wanzhou's Xishan Bus Station (西山汽车站)), toll-free: . 08:30-17:00. In the middle of Wanzhou District. Formerly known as Qinglong Falls (青龙瀑布), the waterfall has a width of 115m and a height of 64.5m. Because it is wider than Guizhou's Huangguoshu Waterfall, Chinese people call it the No. 1 waterfall in Asia. The waterfall flows year-round. Behind the waterfall, there are two natural grottos. ¥98.
Chongqing is one of the four municipalities in China, the largest cities that are not part of a province but report directly to the national government; it is the only municipality not located on the east coast, (the others are Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin).
While administered separately since 1997, it is historically and culturally part of Southeast Sichuan and shares the same love for hot and spicy food dishes.
Located on the edge of the Yungui Plateau, and surrounded by small green capped mountains, Chongqing City is intersected by the Jialing River and the upper reaches of the Yangtze. The municipality includes Daba Shan in the North, Wu Shan in the East, Wuling Shan in the Southeast, and Dalou Mountain to the South.