Devils Lake is also the name of North Dakota's largest natural lake, with 120,00 acres of surface area and 375 miles of shoreline. As such, it is the focus of numerous recreational and tourist activities, including boating, fishing, swimming, water skiing, photography, etc. The lake is also a natural habitat for various species of waterfowl, which makes it a popular spot for nature lovers, photographers, hunters and birders. Hiking, biking, camping are also popular activities. Scenic drives abound.
Devils Lake offers year round activities for the tourist. In the winter, cross country skiing, snowmobiling and ice fishing are but a few of the options. Many resorts and lodges surround the lake.
- 1 Devils Lake Regional Airport (Devils Lake Municipal Airport DVL IATA). Has nonstop service on Great Lakes Airlines to Minneapolis/St. Paul and Jamestown.
- 2 Devils Lake station, 350 Railroad Avenue. Amtrak serves Devils Lake via its Empire Builder passenger train which stops once per day in each direction en route between Chicago and Seattle/Portland via Milwaukee, Wisconsin Dells, La Crosse, Winona, St. Paul/Minneapolis, St. Cloud, Fargo-Moorhead, Grand Forks, Minot, Williston, Wolf Point, Havre, Cut Bank, Glacier National Park, Whitefish, Sandpoint, Spokane, Wenatchee, Everett, Pasco-Richland-Kennewick, and Vancouver, WA. The station is not staffed with a ticket agent but one is available about 60 miles to the west at Rugby (Monday-Friday only) and daily about 85 miles to the east in Grand Forks.
Scenic drives to the east and west of Devils Lake on US Hwy 2. Map [formerly dead link]
- [formerly dead link] Devils Lake State Parks, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Three state parks and recreation areas on Devils Lake. Recreational activities include fishing, boating and nature watching. Camping is available at Grahams Island.
- Grahams Island State Park (10 miles west of Devils Lake on Highway 19, then six miles south).
- Black Tiger Bay State Recreation Area (7 miles east of Devils Lake, five miles south, then three miles west).
- Lake Region Heritage Center, 502 Fourth St (Old Post Office Museum), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Local history exhibits, two art galleries. Open year round Monday to Friday, 10AM to 5PM. Admission fee $3, seniors $2.
- Lake Region Heritage House Museum, 416 Sixth St, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Large 1910-era home with artifacts from Lake Region area families. Open Memorial Day to Labor Day, W-Su, 1PM to 4PM. Admission fee $3, seniors $2.
- North Dakota Maritime Museum (Corner of Fifth Street and Fourth Avenue), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Memorabilia and artifacts of military service. By appointment.
- 1 Sully's Hill National Game Preserve, Highway 57 (via Highway 20, about 11 miles south of Devils Lake towards Fort Totten), ☏ . Drive through game preserve with Buffalo, Elk, Deer and Prairie Dogs. Interpretive Center open until afternoon. $2 per car, $12 annual pass. Visitor are asked to stay in the vehicle once the gates are crossed. Automated gates provide daytime access to the park. Park closes at sunset. It also tends to close when thunderstorms or snow is forecast within 48 hours- their hours are very, conservative in this regard.
- 2 Fort Totten. State Historic Site
- [dead link] SAAGA International Speedway, 4374 98th Street NE, Crary, ☏ .
- Devils Run Car Show, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Free to public. Classic cars, muscle cars, sport compact, motorcycles, trucks, music and events. About 1,000 entries every year and the whole town gets behind it.
- Spirit Lake Casino & Resort (7 miles south of Devils Lake on Highway 57), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Poker, 600-plus slots, bingo, live entertainment, 124 rooms, 4-pools, buffet, full-service marina, RV camping. Open daily, 24 hours.
- Fishing, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . For walleye, pike, perch and white bass in Devils Lake. Annual Devils Lake Fishing Tournament in late June. There is also a fishing tournament in June at the Spirit Lake Casino (see above).
- Auction Barn Cafe, Highway 2, ☏ .
- Cedar Inn, Hwy 2 West, ☏ .
- The Cove, 1012 Woodland Dr (at the Woodland Resort, Hwy 19 West), ☏ .
- Dakotah Buffet, Hwy 57 S, ☏ .
- Elks Lodge, 1216 Walnut Street E, ☏ .
- Felix's (Highway 2 & 4 Street West), ☏ .
- First Buffet House, 320 4th St, ☏ .
- Hot Stuff Pizzeria (Jct Highway 2 & 19), ☏ .
- Liquid Bean, 316 4th Ave, ☏ .
- Master Bakery, 423 Highway 2 W., ☏ .
- Mr. & Mrs. J's, Hwy 2, ☏ .
- Old Main Street Cafe, 416 4th St, ☏ .
- Ranch Steakhouse, 1109 Highway 20 S., ☏ .
- Taco John's, S. College Dr, ☏ .
- White House Cafe (Holiday Mall Shopping Center), ☏ .
- Ed's Bar, Highway 20 S, ☏ .
- ProZ End of the Line, 101 6th St NE, ☏ .
- Thirsty's, 318 4th St, ☏ .
- The Ranch Steakhouse, 1119 Hwy 20 South, ☏ . 4PM Daily.
- The Cove (At Woodland Resort), Hwy 19 South, ☏ .
- Comfort Inn, 215 US Hwy 2 E, ☏ , fax: .
- Dakota Motor Inn, US Hwy 2 E, ☏ .
- Davis Motel, Hwy 2 W, ☏ .
- Day's Inn, 1109 Highway 20 S., ☏ , fax: .
- Lakeview Lodge (5 1/2 miles W on Hwy 19), ☏ .
- Super 8 Motel, 1001 Highway 2 E, ☏ , fax: .
- Trails West Motel, Highway 2 E, ☏ .
- Whistling Wings Lodge, 611 Lakeshore Drive NW, ☏ .
- [dead link] Woodland Resort, 1012 Woodland Dr (3 miles W on Hwy 19), ☏ .
- 1 Holiday Inn Express, 875 US Hwy 2 E, ☏ .