Jamestown, "The Buffalo City", was originally named for the James river. It was first settled in 1872.
Peggy Lee, the jazz singer, Louis L'Amour, the western novelist, and Darin Erstad, the professional baseball player for the 2002 World Champion Anaheim Angels, are natives of Jamestown.
- Jamestown Taxi Service, 1802 6th Ave NE, ☏ .
- 1 [dead link] Frontier Village, 17th St SE (Exit 258, off I-94), ☏ . year round, daily 9AM-9PM. Jamestown is home to "The World’s Largest Buffalo", named Dakota Thunder, a 60-ton cement sculpture that stands 26 feet tall and stretches 46 feet long. It was built in 1959. A number of old buildings were moved in around it to create the Frontier Village, which today attracts over 100,000 people annually. See a buffalo herd and three albino buffalo, White Cloud, her son Dakota Miracle, and another albino calf, Dakota Legend. White buffalo are sacred to the Lakota people. Free admission.
- Albino Buffalo (near Frontier Village). See a buffalo herd and three albino buffalo, White Cloud, her offspring Dakota Miracle, and another albino calf, Dakota Legend. White buffalo are sacred to the Lakota people.
- 2 Fort Steward Historic Site.
- 3 University of Jamestown.
- 4 North Dakota State Hospital Museum, ☏ . Appointment required.
- Disc Golf, 1002 2nd Ave. SE, ☏ . There are 2 courses in Jamestown. An 18-hole recreational course in Klaus Park, located alongside the James and Pipestem Rivers, with Innova Discatchers and cement tees, and a 27 hole championship caliber course on the Jamestown Reservoir Island with Innova Discatchers and cement tees. Map of Course [formerly dead link]
- "ORR"iginals, 214 1st Ave S, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Screen Printing & Embroidering.
- Antiques & More, 421 4th Ave. NW, ☏ . Antiques and Collectibles
- Dakota Western Wear, 2400 8th Ave. SW (Buffalo Mall), ☏ . Western Retail
- Fabric & Textile Warehouse (Buffalo Mall), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Retail Fabrics
- Fashion Boutique (Buffalo Mall), ☏ . Ladies Clothing
- Frontier Fort, 1838 3rd Ave. SE, ☏ . Hospitality
- Garden Gate, 208 1st St, ☏ . West Gift Shop
- Gun & Reel Sports, 115 1st St. W, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Retail Sporting Goods
- Jamestown International Travel & Gift Gallery, 215 1st Ave. S, ☏ , fax: . Travel Agency and Gift Gallery
- Pipestem Creek, 7060 Highway 9 Carrington, ND 58421, ☏ , fax: . Wreaths & Edible Bird Feeders
- Riddles Jewelry (Buffalo Mall), ☏ , fax: . Jewelers
- 1 Buffalo Mall.
- Brass Rail, 110 2nd St. NW, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Restaurant and Lounge
- Emma Rosie's Homecookin' (located in Jamestown Livestock), 3443 82nd Ave SE, ☏ . A catering service that also operates the cafe inside Jamestown Livestock on sale day, which is Tuesdays. Opens Tuesdays at 8AM; closing time varies depending on the length of the sale. Offers delicious, freshly-made foods.
- [dead link] Grizzly's Grill-N-Saloon, 2612 8th Ave SW, ☏ , fax: . Restaurant & Lounge
- Jamestown Eagles Aerie, 2337 217 2nd Ave. SW, ☏ .
- [dead link] Knights of Columbus, 519 1st Ave. S, ☏ , fax: . Restaurant, Club & Lounge
- Meeting Grounds, 613 10th St. SE, ☏ . Coffee Shop
- Northern Lights, 421 Front St, Cleveland, ND, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Restaurant and Ice Cream Parlor
- 1 Paradiso (I-94 & Hwy 281), ☏ . Mexican Restaurant
- Polar King, 621 13th Street NE, ☏ . Fast Food
- [dead link] Budget Lodge, 1009 12th Ave. SE, ☏ , fax: .
- Buffalo Motel, 1530 6th Ave SW, ☏ .
- Carl's Hunting Lodge (south of Jamestown and north of Gackle), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hunting lodge in the flyway. Prime hunting location for upland game, waterfowl and white-tail deer. Seasons of Operation: September–November. Rural setting, group of 5-7 exclusive use of lodge, daily rate includes lodging and home cooked meals, guiding available.
- 1 Comfort Inn, 811 20th Street SW, ☏ , fax: .
- [formerly dead link] Country Charm, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Bed and Breakfast. Three bedrooms, shared bath in 1897 house. Additional hunting lodge sleeps 10. Also, 10 camp sites with electricity.
- 2 Days Inn, 824 20th Street SW, ☏ , fax: .
- 3 Gladstone Inn & Suites, 111 2nd Street NE, ☏ , fax: .
- 4 Holiday Inn Express, 803 20th St. S, ☏ .
- 5 Jamestown Motel, 1018 4th Ave SW, ☏ .
- 6 Quality Inn and Suites, 507-25 St. SW, ☏ , fax: .
- Ranch House Motel, 408 Business Loop W, ☏ . Dirty rooms and reports of thefts.
- Star Lite Motel, 1610 Business Loop E, ☏ .
- 7 Super 8 Motel, 2623 Hwy 281 South, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Sleepinn express, 1052 8th ave se, ☏ .
- [dead link] The Little Brown Cabin (Montpelier), 309 4th Ave, Montpelier, ND (20 miles south of Jamestown on all paved roads), ☏ . A place for staying, hunting, and resting. Located in Montpelier, ND amidst peace & quiet, fantastic hunting opportunities, and the beauty of rural North Dakota. Friendly owners, reasonable rates, meals available.
- Frontier Fort Campground (adjacent to Frontier Village. I-94, Exit 258, north to first stoplight, east 6 blocks), ☏ , fax: . Open: April thru November. 70 RV sites with full hookups, bar and grill, wildlife museum. $12–$20.
- Lakeside Marina Campground (on the Reservoir's East Lakeside Road North of Jamestown), ☏ (in season), (out of season). Scenic Lakeside Grounds with cabins and RV as well as tent pads. Open May–October with full service hookups, bathing facilities, Marina Cafe and boat launch, swimming area, frisby golf, boat rental, and more. $10–$20 per night and weekly and biweekly specials are also available.
|Routes through Jamestown|
|Bismarck ← Dawson ←||W E||→ Valley City → Fargo|
|Minot ← Carrington ←||W E||→ Valley City → Fargo|
|Churchs Ferry ← Carrington ←||N S||→ Edgeley → Aberdeen|
|Devils Lake ← Glenfield ←||N S||→ END|