Drummondville is a city of 68,000 people (2016) on the Saint-François River in the Centre-du-Québec region of Quebec.
Drummondville markets itself as Quebec's Capital of Expression and Traditions, with attractions focusing on culture, past and present. The city also presents itself as the capital of regional development.
- 1 Office du tourisme de Drummondville (Drummondville Tourist Office), 1350 rue Jean-Berchmans-Michaud, toll-free: +1-877-235-9569. Sep to early Jun: M-F 08:30-16:30; mid-Jun to mid-Aug: daily 08:30-18:00; mid-Aug to early Sep: daily 08:30-16:30. This tourist information office provides the public with tourist information on the city of Drummondville and the Centre-du-Québec region, particularly on events, attractions and business tourism activities.
Drummondville was founded in June 1815 by Lieutenant-Colonel Frederick Heriot. The purpose of the town was to provide a home for British soldiers in the War of 1812, and to guard the Saint-François River against American attacks. The town was named after Sir Gordon Drummond, the Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada between 1813 and 1816.
The construction of the Hemmings Falls hydro-electric dam in 1920 brought a new wave of industrial growth to the Drummondville area.
Drummondville is at the junction of Autoroutes 20 and 55. The city is about 100 km east of downtown Montreal, 150 km southwest of Quebec City and 70 km north of Sherbrooke. Autoroute 20 is part of the Trans-Canada Highway between Longueuil and Rivière-du-Loup.
- 1 VIA Rail Canada, Drummondville station, 263, rue Lindsay, toll-free: +1-888-842-7245. Operates train routes across Canada. Routes operating to Drummondville:
- Between Quebec City and Ottawa including stops in Drummondville, Saint-Hyacinthe, Saint-Lambert, Montreal, Dorval, and Alexandria. Multiple trains per day travel the entire route and some additional trains travel between Montreal and Ottawa. Travel time to Drummondville from Quebec City is 2-2.25 hours, from Montreal is 1.25 hours, and from Ottawa is 3.75-4 hours.
- Between Halifax and Montreal on The Ocean service, including stops in Moncton and Sainte-Foy (near Quebec City). Operates three trips per direction per week. Travel time to Drummondville from Halifax is 20.5 hours, from Moncton is 16 hours, and from Montreal is 1.5 hours. A shuttle between train stations in Sainte-Foy and in Quebec City is available for The Ocean trains, but must be reserved in advance.
- Orléans Express, ☏ +1-450-640-1477, toll-free: +1-833-449-6444. Operates bus routes within Quebec and to Ottawa. Routes to Drummondville:
- Operates a route daily between Montreal and Quebec City including a stop in Drummondville. Travel time to Drummondville from Montreal is 1.25 hours and from Quebec City is 2 hours.
- Operates a route two days per week Montreal and Quebec City including a stops in Saint-Hyacinthe, Drummondville and Victoriaville. Travel time to Drummondville from Montreal is 1.5 hours and from Quebec City is 2.75 hours. For the Victoriaville stops, it is pick up only to Montreal and drop off only to Quebec City.
- Autobus La Québécoise, ☏ +1-418-872-5525, toll-free: +1-888-872-5525. Operates bus routes in southern Quebec. Operate the following routes to Drummondville:
- Operates a bus route several days per week between Trois-Rivières and Sherbrooke including at stop in Drummondville. Travel time to Drummondville from Trois-Rivières is 1-1.25 hours and from Sherbrooke is 1 hour.
- Operates a bus route two days per week between Quebec City and Sherbrooke including a stop in Drummondville. Travel time to Drummondville from Quebec City is 2 hours and from Sherbrooke is 1 hour.
General aviation services are available at the Drummondville Airport and the Drummondville Water Aerodrome.
- 2 Drummondville airport and seaplane base (Aéroport de Drummondville et hydrobase), 4789, boulevard Allard (close to Saint-François River course (west bank)), ☏ +1 819-472-1011, email@example.com. The asphalt runway at this airport has been completely rehabilitated (widening to 100 feet (31 meters) and extension to 6000 feet/1829 meters). While the hydrobase on the Saint-François River is the only one in Centre-du-Québec. Aviation enthusiasts can park their aircraft (including helicopters and pleasure planes) and purchase land and even one of the hangars. This airport offers many specialized services, including customs and aircraft removal from the water.
- Drummondville Transit, ☏ +1 819-478-6550. City bus services on six routes headquartered at the main bus terminal at Des Forges and Lindsay Streets. Service runs M-F 07:00-23:00 at half-hour intervals, Sa 08:00-18:00 at half-hour intervals, and Su 09:00-18:00 hourly. Cash/ticket prices: adult $2.60/2.35, student $2.35/1.85, 65 and over $2.35/1.85, child 0-5 years (accompanied) free.
- 1 Le Village Québécois d'Antan, 1425, rue Montplaisir, ☏ +1 819 478-1441, toll-free: +1 877-710-0267. Late June to end of Aug: daily 10:00-17:30. A re-creation of village life in the 19th century. Includes an old farm, period costumes, a restaurant and several festivals throughout the year. Child $11, adult $21; $20/37 if meal included.
- 2 Maison des Arts Desjardins, 175, Rue Ringuet, toll-free: +1-800-265-5412. Performing arts theatre
- 3 Musee National de la Photographie - National Museum of Photography, 400 Rue Heriot, ☏ +1 819-474-5782. Tu-F 11:00-17:00, Sa Su 10:00-17:00. Its permanent exhibition looks at the history of the inventors of the camera, their processes and techniques. It includes original devices from these first black rooms and a large collection of cameras, from the oldest to the most modern. It's temporary exhibitions throughout the year are at the crossroads of art, history and science. Adults $10, children 12 and under free.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 3:28PM local time and lasts 30 sec. You can improve the duration but not the viewing prospects by heading south: the chances of a clear sky here are 30%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Ohio, straddling the Canada–New England border through Lakes Erie and Ontario, then across Maine, New Brunswick and Newfoundland.
- 1 The Autodrome Drummond, 1155 Boulevard Saint-Joseph Ouest, ☏ +1 819-474-2222. Automotive races throughout the summer season.
- 2 La Courvalloise, 1985 Boulevard Foucault, Saint-Charles-de-Drummond. Winter only, dependent on snow conditions, Sa Su and holidays 10:00-17:00. A winter outdoor sports destination. Family atmosphere, tube sliding, snowshoe trails and fatbike trails on the edge of the Spicer Rapids of the Saint-François River. Tubing: adults $12, children $10 for 4 hours;.
- Festival de la Poutine, behind the Marcel-Dionne center, Drummondville, ☏ +1 819-967-1423, firstname.lastname@example.org. Towards the end of August. During three days people are invited to attend concerts, and to savour several kinds of poutine, a Canadian dish of Quebecois origin. The basic dish is a mess of French fries, gravy, and cheese curds that melt to bind the cacaphony of fat and salt. $23 day pass, $38 weekend, free for kids under 13 (2018 prices).
- 1 Promenades Drummondville, 755 René-Lévesque Boulevard. M-W 09:30-17:30, Th F 09:30-21:00, Sa 09:00-17:00, Su 10:00-17:00. 109 stores.
- 1 Brasserie Daniel Lapointe Drummondville, 114, rue Hériot, ☏ +1 819-477-6111. Restaurant.
- 2 Restaurant L'Odika, 1116 Boulevard Saint-Joseph, ☏ +1 819-850-8221. Su 09:00-21:00, M-W 11:00-21:00, Th F 11:00-22:00, Sa 09:00-22:00. Market cuisine using fresh seasonal producez vegan recipes, allergen-free foods, and gourmet and healthy dishes. Raclettes, fondues, Wagyu burgers, fish, pizza.
- 3 Rose Cafe, 210 Boulevard Lemire Ouest, ☏ +1 819-474-3488. M-F 07:00-17:00, Sa Su 08:30-17:00. Gluten-free bread available. Most dishes are available in vegan and non-dairy versions. Breakfasts, salads, sandwiches $8-12.
- 4 A La Bonne Votre, 207, rue Lindsay, ☏ +1 819-474-0008. M-W 11:00-21:00, Th F 11:00-22:00, Sa 17:00-22:00. Regional cuisine. Mains $16-38, lunch $13-33.
- 1 Microbrasserie le BockAle, 2400 rue Canadien, Suite 201, ☏ +1 819-857-4857. W 16:00-22:00, Th 15:00-00:00, F 15:00-00:00, Sa 12:00-22:00. Microbrewery with meals available.
- 2 Le Baboune Bar Tapas, 104 Rue Marchand, ☏ +1 819-850-0607. Tu W 16:00-23:00, Th F 16:00-01:00, Sa 11:30-01:00. Tapas and drinks.
- 1 Hotel-Motel Drummond, 105 Blvd Saint Joseph West, Exit/Sortie 177 N., St. Majorique, toll-free: +1-855-536-5434, email@example.com. Free high speed internet (WiFi); free parking; bar/lounge; breakfast included; hot tub; pets allowed; air conditioning, microwave and refrigerator in room; accessible rooms; suites. From $79.
- 2 Grand Times Hotel Drummondville, 530 Rue Saint Amant, toll-free: +1-844-474-5550. Connected to the Centrexpo Cogeco Drummondville convention centre. Pool. Free parking and high speed internet (WiFi); fitness centre; business centre; golf course; heated pool; hot tub; air conditioning, minibar and refrigerator in room. From $139.
- 3 Hôtel et Suites Le Dauphin Drummondville, 600, boulevard Saint-Joseph, ☏ +1 819-478-4141, firstname.lastname@example.org. This hotel offers reception rooms (capacity up to 500 people) for various group events (weddings, banquets, corporate meetings, conventions, training, receptions). Main services: indoor heated swimming pool, Globe-Trotter restaurant, boutique...
- 4 Motel Blanchette, 225, blvd St-Joseph Ouest, ☏ +1 819-477-0222. Free parking, 24-hr restaurant, bar/lounge, free high-speed internet (WiFi), breakfast included, business centre; air conditioning and refrigerator in room. From $75.
|Routes through Drummondville|
|Montreal ← Saint-Lambert ←||W E||→ Sainte-Foy → Rimouski|
|Montreal ← Saint-Lambert ←||W E||→ Sainte-Foy → Quebec City|
|Montreal ← Mont-Saint-Hilaire ←||W E||→ Quebec City → Rivière-du-Loup|
|Shawinigan ← Trois-Rivières ←||N S||→ Sherbrooke → Magog|
|Saint-Gérard-Majella ← Saint-Germain-de-Grandham ←||W E||→ Saint-Valère → Victoriaville|
|END ← Roxton ←||N S||→ Bromont → Abercon|
|Saint-François-du-Lac ← Saint-Majorique-de-Grantham ←||N S||→ Sherbrooke → Stanstead|