Elk Point is located on the North Saskatchewan River which was a fur trade route. The Hudson's Bay Company and the North West Company had posts on the river near Elk Point.
Get in Edit
By car Edit
Elk Point is located at the intersection of Highways 41 and 646 about 2½ hours northeast of Edmonton.
By plane Edit
Get around Edit
A private car is a necessity.
- 1 Fort George and Buckingham House, 6015 Twp Rd 565, County of St. Paul (13 km SE of Elk Point on Hwy 646), ☏ , Fort.George@gov.ab.ca. Whether you come with a passion for history or with a desire to make great family memories, you will be intrigued by the stories of these fur trade forts during 1792. Take a guided walk on a winding trail through the aspen forest. Stand where the forts once stood and where history actually happened.
- 2 Frog Lake National Historic Site (east of Highway 897). Sunrise to 11PM. The wind blows the grass amongst the nine simple crosses, archaeological remains mark where buildings stood, and a cairn marks the Frog Lake tragedy of April 2, 1885. A walk along the interpretive trail tells the story of hardship, confusion, hunger and a retaliation that would cost the community everything. Self-guided only, no visitors' centre. Free.
- 3 Mural Park, 5201 50 Ave. 100 ft (30 m) long mural.
- 4 Peter Fidler Statue, Highway 41. Named after Peter Fidler, a Hudson Bay fur trader and surveyor, commemorates the bi-centennial of Elk Point in 1992 and the history of fur trading posts in the region. The wooden chainsaw-carved statue measures 9.8 m (32 ft) tall.
- 5 RCMP Centennial Monument, 4802 50 Ave.
- 1 Elk Point Golf & Country Club, Range Road 71 (2 km W of Elk Point on Hwy 646), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 9-hole golf course offers grass greens, a clubhouse, and club/cart rentals.
- 2 Whitney Lakes Provincial Park (26 km E of Elk Point on Hwy 646), ☏ . Contains a campground and natural sand beach, with summer activities including boating, paddling, fishing, and birding. More than 145 birds and waterfowl have been observed here. Enjoy hiking more than 30 km of trails that link the lakes throughout the park.
Elk Point has basic shops and services.
Eat & drink Edit
- Elk Point Burger Bar, 4909 48 St, ☏ .
- Magic Pizza, 4904 50 St, ☏ .
- Mic's Restaurant and Pub, 5710 48 St (Hilltop Motor Inn), ☏ . Guests of the Hilltop Motor Inn receive a 10% discount on meals (excluding alchohol) served at Mic's Restaurant and Pub.
- Outback 646 Ranch House, 5017 48 St, ☏ .
- Taste Buds Restaurant, 4818 50 St, ☏ .
- Wally's Pub & Restaurant, 5305 48 St, ☏ .
- 1 Elk Point Motel & RV Park, 5474 48 St, ☏ , email@example.com. 42 rooms and 17 serviced RV stalls.
- 2 Hilltop Motor Inn, 5710 48 St, ☏ , , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Elk Point River Park Campground, Range Road 71A (4 km S of Elk Point on Hwy 41), ☏ , email@example.com. 10 sites, day use area, picnic shelter, playground.
- 4 Elk Point Recreation Park, Range Road 71 (3 km W of Elk Point on Hwy 646, next to the Elk Point Golf & Country Club), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 17 powered campsites.
- 5 Stoney Lake Campground, 56402 Rand Road 81, St. Paul County (15 km SW of Elk Point on Hwy 646), ☏ .
Go next Edit
|Routes through Elk Point|
|Edmonton via ← St. Paul ←||W E||→ END|
|Ends at W E ← Bonnyville ←||N S||→ Vermilion → Medicine Hat|