Halmstad is a popular tourist destination in the summer much because of the beaches Tylösand and Östra stranden. But also for its nightlife, with many outside bars and restaurants that open in the summer. Most tourists come to visit the town in July and August.
Halmstad is also known as the "golf capital" of Sweden with 12 beautiful courses.
Halmstad has been a city since early 1307 and during the Middle Ages, Halmstad was said to have been the largest city on Sweden's west coast.
There is a population of around 90 000 in Halmstad Municipality.
1 Halmstad City Airport (NYO IATA), Tre Hjärtans väg 12. 3 km from the city centre. It has connections to Stockholm Arlanda airport. The service is run by the Skyways offering a few trips a day. Alternatively, Malmö Sturup Airport and Gothenburg-Landvetter Airport are both within 2 hours' drive and an easy train journey to Halmstad and, for more international flights, Copenhagen Airport is within 3 hours of Halmstad (via the Öresund bridge) or across the
2 Halmstad Central Station Halmstad central station is a few minutes walk from the city centre. There are good connections with both Malmö/Copenhagen in the south and Göteborg/Oslo/Stockholm in the northern direction.
- SJ, train operator in all of Sweden.
- Öresundstågen, train operator in southwest of Sweden and Denmark.
- Merresor (Krösatågen), train operator between Nässjö and Halmstad.
The European road E6/E20 passes through Halmstad. Two other important roads to get there are national roads 25 and 26.
Some taxi companies in Halmstad.
- 1 Halmstad slott, Aschebergsgatan 1, ☏ . A castle built by the Danish king Christian IV.
- 2 Fattighuset (the Poor House), Köpmansgatan 20. At Lilla Torg has various handicraft shops, a cafe, and a sports museum. The tourist office is in the same building.
- Look at nice old timberframe buildings, for instance close to S:t Nikolai kyrka (the church at Stora Torg).
- Capital of Golf in Sweden (Golfhuvudstaden). Halmstad has twelve golf courses.
- 1 Tylösand, Tylöhusvägen 28 (some 8 km from central Halmstad), ☏ . A 7-km long beach, and in July thousands of people flock there when the weather is fine, making it one of Sweden's most crowded beaches. Tylösand is believed to be one of the best beaches in Sweden. Water sport such as windsurfing and kite boarding are quite popular, and courses are available.
Storgatan, Köpmansgatan, and nearby streets, give you various shopping opportunities.
You can pick up the free Entré and Frotté magazines in various stores to read more about Halmstad's nightlife. They are only available in Swedish though. See Swedish phrasebook.
- 1 Fox and Anchor, Köpmansgatan 41, ☏ .
- 2 First Camp Tylösand, Kungsvägen 3, ☏ . Cottages and camping at the beach of Tylösand, about 12 km from Halmstad. Wireless internet connection is available. Kids' club during the summer, adventure golf.
- 3 Way In Hotel, Strandvallen 7, ☏ . Walking distance from downtown.
- Radio Station Grimeton - The world's only remaining long wave radio station of its kind is on the UNESCO World Heritage List. 10 km east of Varberg.
|Routes through Halmstad|
|Gothenburg ← Varberg ←||N S||→ Båstad → Malmö|
|END ←||W E||→ Ljungby → Växjö|