Ljungby is in Sweden.
Ljungby is a town in southern Sweden that lies by the river Lagan. It is in the historical region Finnveden, one of the "small countries" which make up today's Småland. Ljungby was first mentioned in 1301 as "iuxta Liongby", but it did not grew into a town until the mid-1800s. It is the second largest city in Kronoberg County, after Växjö. As of 2017 the town has about 16 000 inhabitants, with a total of 28 400 in the municipality.
Several car routes intersect at Ljungby. The E4 highway connects to Helsingborg and Stockholm in the south, continuing north to Tornio. Route 25 connects to Halmstad in west and Växjö, continuing to Kalmar, in east. An alternative to the E4 is the scenic route Riksettan that pass through Ljungby.
- Banvallsleden. A 250 kilometer long-distance cycling route that pass through central Ljungby and connects with Halmstad in the west and Karlshamn in the southeast.
- Sverigeleden (29). This route connects Gothenburg with Blädinge and pass through Lagan about 10 km north of Ljungby. Lagan and Ljungby are connected with a bicycle path that takes you straight from Sverigeleden to central Ljungby.
- 2 Alvesta Station is in Alvesta, about 40 minutes east of Ljungby, and can be reached by bus or car. There are direct trains from Copenhagen and Kastrup airport in Denmark. Furthermore, there are trains from Malmö, Gothenburg and Stockholm.
- 3 Halmstad Central Station is in Halmstad, about an hour west of Ljungby and can be reached by bus or car. There are good connections with both Malmö/Copenhagen in the south and Göteborg/Oslo/Stockholm in the northern direction.
- 4 Växjö Småland Airport (VXO IATA) (outside Växjö, about 40 minutes by car). Airport-buses connects the airport with Växjö. Operated by SAS, Fly Smaland and Ryanair and has flights from Stockholm, Kalmar, Visby, Weeze, Berlin and Kaunas in Lithuania.
- 5 Feringe airfield (ICAO: ESMG). Private airfield 15 km outside Ljungby, without regular passenger traffic.
Ljungby is a small town, so your feet will be sufficient for the center of town, the rest of the city can be reached by bicycle. If you want to travel outside Ljungby you might want to consider a car. The rural area around Ljungby is sparsely populated and may thus lack regular public transport and dedicated cycle paths in some places.
Local buses is handled by Länstrafiken Kronoberg and connects Ljungby with the neighbouring towns Växjö, Halmstad, Värnamo, Markaryd, and Älmhult; including several smaller towns and villages on the way. Tickets can be bought directly on the bus (for a small extra fee), via Länstrafiken Kronoberg's mobile-app, or from Willy:s supermarket near the bus station.
However, be aware of a few things regarding buses: First, bus tickets are only valid for a short time (around an hour or so depending on distance). Secondly, expect yet another extra fee if you pay with cash instead of card on the bus. Thirdly, some buses are "direct buses" that goes direct to their destination without stops on the way. These buses usually start with an 8 ("845" instead of "145"), you can ask the driver if you are unsure.
- 1 The Museum of Legends (Sagomuseet), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. High season - Mon: closed; Tue-Sun: 12.00-16.00 Low season - Thu: 12-16. A museum for oral narration, fairy tales, and folklore. Adult: 60 SEK; Youth younger than 19 years: 30 SEK; Children younger than 3 years: free.
- 2 The Ljungberg Museum (Ljungbergmuseet), Strandgatan 5, Ljungby (Hidden behind turn of the century houses, the museum can be hard to find. Follow Kungsgatan towards Gängesvägen and a streetsign will point you toward a small alley. Follow the alley for 50 meters and you will arrive.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tue-Fri 12:00-17:00; Sat-Sun 12:00-16:00. Kronoberg County's museum of visual art with a permanent exhibitions is dedicated to works of Sven Ljungberg and Ann Margret Dahlquist-Ljungberg. Adult 100 SEK, student 50 SEK, under 18 years old free, group (10 persons) 60 SEK per person.
- 3 Minivärlden, Helsingborgsvägen 9, Ljungby, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Summer: Mon-Sat 10:00-15:00; Low season: Varying opening hours, see website. Model railway museum Children 0-4 years, free; Children 5-11 years, 20 SEK; Children 12-100 years, 100 SEK.
- 4 The Burial Museum (Begravningsmuseet), Donationsgatan 2, Ljungby (Located behind the Annelund Church at Ljungby cemetery.), ☏ . Varying opening hours, see website. Museum that showcase customs and traditions around death and burial during the 19th and 20th century. 20 SEK.
- 5 Elinge Elk Park (Elinge Älgpark), Jakobsgård 7, Hamneda (From Ljungby: Drive Riksettan south from Ljungby about 8 kilometers. Make a right turn into the hamlet Bäck. Follow the signs for another 4 kilometers. From the E4: Leave at Exit 78. Drive 100 meters east to the village Hamneda. Follow the signs for another 2,5 kilometers.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mon-Sun 09:00-16:00. Moose park at a family-run farm. Children 0-3 free; Children 4-12 80 SEK; Adult 13-99 100 SEK.
- Ljungby Storytelling Festival (Ljungby berättarfestival), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Yearly storytelling festival, just before midsummer, with performances, courses, seminars, walking tours and excursions. 30 SEK.
- Around Lake Bolmen (Bolmen runt) (Follow Banvallsleden 13 kilometers west until you reach Angelstad. There it will interweave with Bolmen Runt.). A 127 kilometer long route around Sweden's 10th largest lake, Bolmen. It is up to you whether you want to walk or bicycle. If you want, you can shave off 10 kilometers and take the ferry and shortcut via Bolmen island.
- 1 Målaskog nature reserve (Målaskogsberg) (Drive 17 kilometers east towards Vislanda. Turn left at the "Målaskog" sign. Drive another 500 meters. Parking on the left.). M—Su 00:00—24:00. A 38 hectare deciduous nature reserve. Free.
Most stores in Ljungby are concentrated around "Stora Torg", the central square, and nearby streets. A retail park is located at the south-western outskirt of town by the E4.
- 1 Systembolaget, Eskilsgatan 7, 341 43, Ljungby (On a small pedestrian street, Eskilsgatan, about 50 meters north-east from the central square). M–Th 10:00–18:00; F 10:00–19:00; Sa 10:00–14:00; Su closed. The only retail store allowed to sell alcoholic beverages that contain more than 3.5% alcohol by volume.
There are many places to eat at in Ljungby, and with a good variation. For the one in a hurry there is Burger King and an abundance of pizzerias, but also sushi and Asian restaurants in central Ljungby. Along the E4 you can find McDonald's, Max, Sibylla, and Old Mike's . You can also take a coffee at any of the small cafés and konditoreis; like Espresso House, Lilla Hembageriet, or Café Vildrosen.
- 1 Gästgivaregården, Gamla Torg, Ljungby (At 'Gamla Torg', the old market square. Follow 'Stationsgatan' 500 meters west from the central square.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mon-Fri: 11:30-14:00; Wed-Fri from 18:00; Sat: 11:30-14:30. Table d'hôte restaurant and former inn from the 1820s, but with roots from the 1600s. Lunch: 109 SEK.
- 2 Rosegarden (By 'Stora Torg', the central square.), ☏ . Lunch buffet - Mon-Fri 11:30-14:30. Grand buffet - Mon-Thu 17:30-21:00, Fri-Sat 17:00-22:00, Sun 17:00-20:00. Weekend buffet - Sat 12:00-15:00, Sun 13-:00-15:00. Pan-Asian buffet style cuisine. Lunch buffet: 100 SEK. Grand buffet: 229 SEK to 259 SEK. Weekend buffet: 139 SEK.
- 3 Restaurang Charlie, Hantverkaregatan 13, 34136 Ljungby (Located in central Ljungby. From 'Storgatan' and 'Järnvägsparken' follow 'Bergagatan' 280 meters.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon 17:00-21:00; Tue-Thu 17:00-22:00; Fri-Sat 17:00-22:30; Sun 17:00-21:00. Restaurant that serve à la carte and pizzas. Main course: 144 SEK to 268 SEK. Pizza: 108 SEK to 144 SEK.
- 4 Espresso House, Föreningsgatan 3, 341 30 Ljungby (By 'Stora Torg', the central square.). Mon-Fri 08:00-20:00; Sat 09:00-18:00; Sun 10:00-18:00. Northern Europe's largest coffeehouse chain, of Swedish origin.
- 5 Willy:s Supermarket, Stationsgatan 2, 341 60 Ljungby, ☏ . M—Sa 08:00—21:00; Su 09:00—21:00. Swedish low- to mid-range supermarket chain. Does also sell bus tickets for Länstrafiken Kronoberg.
- 6 ICA Maxi Supermarket, Drottninggatan 34, 34136 Ljungby, ☏ . M—Su 07:00—22:00. Swedish mid- to high-range hypermarket chain.
- 1 Harrys, Stora Torget 1, 341 30 Ljungby (Located by 'Stora Torg', the central square.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 17:00—23:00, F 16:00—02:00, Sa 12:00—02:00.
- 2 Tre Torn - Bryggeriet, Storgatan 13, 341 30, Ljungby (Located 100 meters west from 'Stora Torg', the central square). M closed; Tu-W 17:00—22:00; Th 17:00—23:00; F—Sa 17:00—01:00; Su closed.
- 3 Chaplin Pub (Neighbour with Restaurang Charlie. From 'Storgatan' and 'Järnvägsparken' follow 'Bergagatan' 280 meters.), ☏ . F—Sa 22:00—02:00.
- 1 Hotel Terraza, Stora Torget 1, Ljungby, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 980 SEK to 2730 SEK.
- 2 Hotell Garvaren, Stationsgatan 2, Garvaren, 341 60 Ljungby, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 880 SEK to 1720 SEK.
- 3 Hotell Linnea, Märta Ljungbergsvägen 12, Ljungby, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. 790 SEK to 990 SEK.
- 4 Best Western Hotel Ljungby, Ringvägen 1, Ljungby, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 745 SEK to 1595 SEK.
- 3 Ljungby Hospital (Lasarettet Ljungby), Kyrkogatan 2, Ljungby (Neighbor with Ljungby Church. Lies along Märta Ljungbergsvägen. From 'Stora Torg', the central square, follow Storgatan west until you reach Ljungby Church. Turn right and walk 30 meters. The hospital is now on your left side.), ☏ . Hospital with emergency care. The emergency care entrance is located at the backside of the main entrance wing.
- 4 Clinics Kungshögen and Sländan, Kungshögsgatan 25, Ljungby (Located in Ljungby Hospital, on the far side of the hospital from the main entrance. You can use the main entrance and follow the corridor all the way to the opposite side of the complex. Or you can walk around the hospital from the outside, note however that from the outside the hospital looks like two separate buildings.), ☏ (Kungshögen), (Sländan).
- 2 Apoteket Hjärtat, Kyrkogatan 2, 341 82 Ljungby (Located inside Ljungby Hospital, just by the main entrance.), ☏ . M-F 08:00–18:00; Sa–Su Closed. Pharmacy
- 3 Apoteket, Eskilsgatan 5, 34130 Ljungby (Located by 'Stora Torg', the central square), ☏ . M–F 08:00–19:00; Sa 09:00–14:00; Su Closed. Pharmacy
Ljungby's area code is 0372. Ljungby postal number is 341 00, with 00 being replaced with more specific postal numbers for areas within the town. You can go to Visit Ljungby to get a list of places in and around Ljungby that offers free wifi.
- 5 Ljungby Tourist Center (Ljungby Turistbyrå), Stora torget 6, Ljungby, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Tu 10.00-13.00 and 14.00-16.30; W: Closed; Th: 10.00-13.00 and 14.00-18.00; F: 12.00-16.30. Offers free wifi
- 6 Ljungby Library (Ljungby Bibliotek), Södra Järnvägsgatan 8 341 83 Ljungby, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M 10:00–20:00 T–F 10:00–19:00 Sa 10:00–14:00. Public library that offers computers and printers, but no wi-fi.
- 7 Ljungby Library (Ljungby Bibliotek), Södra Järnvägsgatan 8 341 83 Ljungby, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M 10:00–20:00 T–F 10:00–19:00 Sa 10:00–14:00. Public library that offers daily newspapers in several languages, copying machines, computers, and printers; but no wi-fi.
- 8 Public toilet (Located on Stationsgatan 100 meters from 'Stora Torg', the central square). M—Su 00:00—24:00.
- Växjö, the largest city and seat of Kronoberg county.
- Halmstad, an old city by the western coast.
- Kalmar, an old city by the eastern coast.
- High Chaparral, a wild west theme park outside Värnamo 40 kilometers to the north.
- Huseby Christmas Market, a mid-november Christmas market in Huseby outside Växjö 40 kilometers to the east.
|Routes through Ljungby|
|Helsingborg ← Åstorp ←||S N||→ Värnamo → Stockholm|
|Halmstad ←||W E||→ Växjö → Kalmar|
|Örkelljunga ← Markaryd ←||S N||→ Värnamo → Jönköping|