Originally part of the rural surroundings of the Washington, D.C. area, the town of Herndon developed into a hub of dairy farming and vacationing for area residents, aided by its presence along the W&OD Railroad. The town is known for the location of a famous civil war cavalry raid by Confederate Colonel John Singleton Mosby and its Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Herndon is the sister city of Runnymede, England.
The primary reasons that people travel to Herndon are for business purposes, or on an overnight stay before a flight from Washington Dulles International Airport.
Herndon is a 10-minute drive from Dulles International Airport. A taxi from the airport costs roughly $16. However, almost all hotels in Herndon offer free shuttle bus services to/from the airport.
There are no interstate or US highways through Herndon. The primary arteries in and out are the following state highways:
- VA-267 - (Dulles Toll Road, Dulles Access Road, Dulles Greenway) This toll road runs East-West from Leesburg to Falls Church. It feeds into I-66 and I-495 at its east end and US-15 at its west end. There is a spur that runs to Dulles International Airport. The road is one of the fastest ways to get around during off hours and weekend, but should be avoided during rush hour as it suffers from stand still traffic at these times.
- VA-28 - This highway runs north and south from VA-7 in the north to US-15/US-29 in the south. Like VA-267 this is one of the major arteries for Northern Virginia and is a fast way to get around but becomes very congested during rush hour.
- SR-606 - This is a secondary state road but is still a major artery. It runs right through the historic district as Elden St. and connects to both VA-267 and VA-28 in the west and VA-7 in the east bound direction.
WMATA - Herndon is about a 10 minute drive to the Silver Line DC Metro Station in Reston. At this point in time it is the only train access to Herndon. As of 2017 construction is 56% complete on the Herndon Silver Line Station, and is projected to be completed in 2020.
A car is the best way to get around Herndon.
- 1 Herndon Historical Society & Train Depot Museum, 717 Lynn Street (Next to the old town hall at the intersection of Elden Street and Lynn Street). 9AM-5PM. Houses railroad memorabilia, information on Commander William Lewis Herndon, after whom the town was named; and artifacts from local residents. The building dates back to the 1850s and served as a train station until 1968. The building also houses the Herndon Visitors Center with information on the town and surrounding areas, restaurants, hotels and historical sights.
- 2 Herndon Old Town Hall, Station St. The historic town hall.
- 1 [dead link] Herndon Centennial Golf Course, 909 Ferndale Ave, ☏ . Noted as one of Golf Digest's "Places to Play" From $33 for 18 holes.
Festivals and eventsEdit
The following events and festivals are held in Herndon's Historic District:
- Herndon Rocks - Friday Night Live. Fridays 6.30 to 10.30 May thru August.. Free concerts by local bands.
- 1 Amphora Diner Deluxe, 1151 Elden Street. Open 24 hours/day. American and Greek food in a 1950s-style diner.
- 2 Anita's New Mexico Style (Anita's), 701 Elden St (next to the Comfort Inn), ☏ . Amazing authentic Mexican food. They offer a wide variety of relatively cheap breakfast burritos. Great way to get some fuel before a long day trip.
- 3 Cantina d'Italia, Elden Plaza - 150 Elden Street (next to the Comfort Inn), ☏ . 11AM-10PM. Authentic Italian Cuisine.
- 4 Outback Steak House, Elden Plaza - 150 Elden Street #100 (next to the Comfort Inn), ☏ .
- 5 [dead link] Pollos Inka, 668 Elden St, ☏ . 11AM-10PM. Authentic Peruvian food.
- 1 [formerly dead link] O'Sullivans Irish Pub, 754 Elden St #102, ☏ . Traditional Irish pub with both Irish and American pub foods. Live entertainment on most nights.
- 2 Carpool, 208 Elden St #100 (located next to the Comfort Inn). Auto-themed sports bar with pool tables, shuffleboard, dart boards, foosball, and large screen TVs.
- 3 Bar Louie, 13195 Parcher Ave, ☏ . Upbeat grill chain with American grub, martinis & microbrews, plus happy-hour deals. Their boneless buffalo wings are pretty good snack with a couple of beers.
- 4 Jimmy's Old Town Tavern, 697 Spring St, ☏ . Locals gather in cozy vintage tavern for drinks, pool & pub grub. Outpost for Buffalo sports fans.
- 1 Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport, 2200 Centreville Rd, ☏ , .
- 2 Embassy Suites Dulles Airport, 13341 Woodland Park Rd, ☏ . All suite hotel 1 mile from Dulles International Airport. Free cooked to order breakfast daily, Evening reception with free drinks and snacks.
- 3 Hyatt House Herndon/Reston, 467 Herndon Pkwy, ☏ , fax: . Extended stay hotel offering free Wi-Fi Internet access and updated studio, one, and two-bedroom suites with separate living area. Every suite offers a fully equipped kitchen with a two burner cook top, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator and an array of cooking utensils. Hot breakfast buffet each morning and a complimentary Evening Social Monday - Thursday. Exercise room, outdoor pool, BBQ area, Guest Market, sport court and free on-site parking.
- 4 Hyatt Place, 13711 Sayward Blvd, ☏ . Rooms with free Wi-Fi, coffee maker, refrigerator, flat screen TV, and alarm clock with MP3 connection. Guests have access to free parking, free breakfast, indoor pool and fitness center. $119.
- 5 Marriott Courtyard Herndon Reston, 533 Herndon Pkwy, ☏ .
- Residence Inn Herndon/Reston, 315 Elden Street, ☏ .
- 6 SpringHill Suites Herndon Reston, 138 Spring St, ☏ .
- 7 Washington Dulles Marriott Suites, 13101 Worldgate Drive, ☏ . This hotel offers free shuttle service from Dulles Airport and suites that feature separate living rooms with pull-out couches.
- 8 Westin Washington Dulles Hotel, 2520 Wasser Terrace, ☏ .
|Routes through Herndon|
|Leesburg ← Sterling ←||W E||→ Reston → Falls Church|