Sterling, then Sterling Park or just "The Park", was founded in 1961 by the M.T. Broyhill & Sons Corporation, who bought nearly 2,000 acres of farmland. The homes were intended to be much cheaper than homes in Fairfax County, along with amenities and commuter trains carrying workers the half-hour to Washington.
Virginia State Route 7 runs through Sterling. Sterling can also be reached from Interstate Route 66 by taking the Rt. 28, Sully Road exit North. Rt. 28 leads to Rt. 7, thence east to Sterling.
- About 30 minutes NW of Washington, D.C., except during rush hour.
- 1 Dulles International Airport (IAD IATA) (Located partially in Sterling). Dulles International Airport is a hub of United, and offers service to many national and international destinations. Access, via major thruway, is best along Rt. 28 (Sully Road) and Rt. 267 (toll road), or the Dulles Access Rd. There is no rail service to this area, though a new MetroRail line is projected to open in 2020 within the general vicinity.
- Other nearby airports include National (DCA IATA), Baltimore/Washington International (BWI IATA), and Richmond (RIC IATA).
Private planes can land at Leesburg Executive Airport (JYO), 15 miles north-west of Sterling. Full service is available; runway length is 5,500 feet. Approach to JYO requires special procedures due to the Washington Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA). Contact Potomac Approach Control on 126.1 MHz.
Bus service is provided by the Virginia Regional Transit Authority. It is called "7 to 7 on 7", meaning that buses run from 7AM to 7PM on Rt. 7.
Taxi and limo service are also available.
Major rental car companies can be found on the grounds of Dulles International Airport, with shuttles direct from the main terminal. There are also two Enterprise locations in Sterling, one on Virginia State Route 7 near the Fairfax County line, and one on Woodland Road near Claude Moore Park.
- 1 Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, 14390 Air & Space Museum Pkwy, ☏ . Located near Dulles International Airport, this companion facility of the National Air and Space Museum houses air and spacecraft including an SR-71 "Blackbird" spy plane, a Concorde supersonic jet, and the space shuttle "Enterprise". It was also used as a filming location for Michael Bay's Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Admission is free. Parking is available for $15/vehicle.
- Claude Moore Park
- Bike, walk, or rollerblade on the Washington & Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail
- Golf at the Trump National Golf Club Washington DC, located in the Lowes Island area of Sterling.
- Theater: the Elden Street Players [dead link]
- Theater: The Sterling Playmakers
- 1 Algonkian Regional Park, 47001 Fairway Drive. Miniature golf, swimming pool complex, golf, cottage rentals, soccer fields, and more on Potomac River waterfront.
- 2 Volcano Island Waterpark. - located in Sterling
- Dulles Town Center Mall, at intersection of Rt. 7 and Rt. 28
- Cheng's Nice Chinese restaurant. 20921 Davenport Dr. (off Rt. 7 in the Countryside area).
- Emilio's Brick oven pizza. 22207 Shaw Rd.
- Don Corleone's Brick oven pizza. 21018 Southbank St.
- Corner Bakery Café. 46290 Cranston St.
- O'Malley's Pub, 45425 Holiday Drive. American Irish pub.
- Mokomandy, 20789 Great Falls Plaza, Unit 176. Great Korean-Cajun fusion in modern atmosphere.
- Best Western Dulles Airport, 45440 Holiday Drive, ☏ .
- Candlewood Suites Sterling, 45520 E Severn Way (Intersection of Atlantic Blvd & Severn Way), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. An all-suites hotel, with full kitchens including stoves and refrigerators, located just north of Dulles International Airport (IAD). Complimentary Services include guest laundry, 24-hour gym access, weekday local-area shuttle service, and High Speed Internet Access. Walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and businesses. $129+.
- Hyatt House Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, 45520 Dulles Plaza, ☏ .
- Fairfield Inn & Suites, 23000 Indian Creek Drive, ☏ .
- Marriott Courtyard Dulles Town Center, 45500 Majestic Drive, ☏ . Offers free airport/local shuttle, wired/wireless high-speed Internet, HDTVs, in room safes.
- Residence Inn by Marriott Dulles Airport at Dulles 28 Centre, 45250 Monterey Place, ☏ . In the Dulles 28 Centre complex, with over 30 specialty shops and restaurants.
- TownePlace Suites Dulles Airport, 22744 Holiday Park Drive, ☏ . A temporary housing hotel near Dulles Airport.
- Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, 45020 Aviation Drive, ☏ . On the Dulles International Airport property, it offers free airport shuttle service.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling Dulles Airport (DoubleTree Dulles), 21611 Atlantic Boulevard, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. It's 10 minutes from Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), and offers a 24-hour, free airport shuttle service, indoor heated pool and hot tub, the Dogwood Bistro & Bar onsite and 24-hour fitness center. Near Dulles Town Center shopping mall, Dulles Sportsplex and Dulles Golf Center.
- Visit Washington, D.C.
- The National Air and Space Museum has its incredible hangar-sized annex in next-door Chantilly.
- See a performance at Wolf Trap.
- Go to Civil War historic sites.
- Visit wineries.
|Routes through Sterling|
|Winchester ← Ashburn ←||W E||→ Reston → Alexandria|
|Leesburg ← Ashburn ←||W E||→ Herndon → Falls Church|