Founded in 1964 by Robert E. Simon (RESton), Reston was the first modern planned community in the United States. Simon purchased a 6,750 acre tract using the proceeds from the sale of Carnegie Hall, which was owned by his family. Reston includes several planned urban developments, including Lake Anne Plaza, Reston Town Center, and Reston Station. The city is home to offices of many high tech companies, such as AOL, Microsoft, Accenture, and the US Geological Survey.
Reston is a 10-minute drive from Dulles International Airport. A taxi from the airport costs roughly $18 and most hotels in Reston offer free shuttle service to the airport.
Reston is accessible from the Fairfax County Parkway, the Reston Parkway (West Ox Road in Fairfax County), the Leesburg Pike (Rte 7), and the Dulles Toll Road (Rte 267).
By bike or footEdit
Reston Paths is an extensive bike/walking path system.
Roads in Reston tend to be very winding and may require the use of a GPS.
- Reston Zoo, 1228 Hunter Mill Rd, ☏ . March 11-November 26. The Reston Zoo features several animals such as zebras, monkeys, and camels. It has a petting barn, exhibits, pony rides and wagon rides around the park. Admission is $12 for adults and $9 for children. The zoo is closed for the winter from November 28th to March 10th. Adults: $12, Seniors: $11, Children: $9.
- Lake Fairfax Park & The Water Mine Family Swimmin' Hole. Includes a water park with slides, etc...
- Baron Cameron Park, 11300 Baron Cameron Ave.
- Ice Skating at Reston Town Center Pavilion, 1818 Discovery Street, ☏ . seasonally from early November until March. Adults: $10; Children: $8.
- Fishing is very popular in Reston.
- Reston National Golf Course. Designed by Ed Ault.
- Reston Community Players. Four major productions per season. This all-volunteer production company began in 1972 and has performed a variety of shows throughout the years. The shows are staged at the Reston Community Center
- Greater Reston Arts Center. Exhibits, classes, and seminars for all ages.
Festivals and eventsEdit
- Summer Concerts at Reston Town Center on the weekends at the pavilion. Bring a lawn chair or sit at a nearby restaurant, such as Clyde's or Paolo's.
- 1 Reston Town Center. Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Gap, Nine West, South Moon Under, J. Crew, Victoria's Secret, Apple Store, Anthropologie.
- The Spectrum Center. Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Men's Warehouse, PetSmart, and Harris Teeter.
- Plaza America. Michael's Arts and Crafts, Ann Taylor Loft, CVS Pharmacy, Modell's, and Whole Foods Market.
- Hunters Woods Village Center.
- Lake Anne Plaza.
- North Point Village Center.
- South Lakes Village Center.
- Reston Market (In Lake Anne Village Center). Saturdays 9AM to 2PM May to the first Saturday in December. Local arts and crafts.
Many chain restaurants have locations in Reston. While Reston has some unique dining options, the more ethnic and budget restaurants can be found in neighboring Herndon.
- Big Bowl - Asian Fusion, 11915 Democracy Drive (In Reston Town Center), ☏ .
- Uncle Julio's Rio Grande Café, 1827 Library Street (In Reston Town Center).
- Obi Sushi, 1771 Library Street (In Reston Town Center), ☏ .
- PassionFish Seafood, 11960 Democracy Drive (In Reston Town Center), ☏ .
- Il Fornaio Cucina Italiana, 11990 Market Street, Suite 106 (In Reston Town Center), ☏ .
- American Tap Room, 1811 Library St (In Reston Town Center), ☏ .
- Jackson's Mighty Fine Food & Lucky Lounge, 11927 Democracy Dr (In Reston Town Center), ☏ . American food with a happening bar scene.
- The Tasting Room Wine Bar & Shop, 1816 Library St (In Reston Town Center), ☏ . Sample Boxwood Estate Wines with appetizers.
- Kalypso's Sport Tavern, 1617 Washington Plaza (In Lake Anne Plaza), ☏ .
Several hotels offer free shuttle service to and from the airport, including:
- Washington, D.C. is 20 miles away.
|Routes through Reston|
|Winchester ← Sterling ←||W E||→ Great Falls → Alexandria|
|Leesburg ← Herndon ←||W E||→ Tysons Corner → Falls Church|
|END ←||W E||→ Tysons Corner → East End|