Horanadu, or Hornadu, is a small village in Mudigere Taluk of Chikmagalur District. It has a Hindu Holy Temple of Sri Adishaktyatmaka Annapurneshwari.
Horanadu is a breathtakingly beautiful location because of the mountains embracing the village from all the three sides. Foreign tourists do not come here, because it is not well known outside India. But the place has already become crowded and even traffic congestion issues have appeared because a lot of Indian tourists come here to visit the temple.
Get in Edit
By plane Edit
The nearest airport is Mangalore (125 km from Horanadu)
By train Edit
By bus Edit
Get around Edit
It is advisable to park your vehicle well before the entrance to the temple because you can get caught in a troublesome traffic congestion which can last for an hour. Even better is to check in to a lodge half a km before the temple because there are no lodges near the temple. But if you are happy with a plain room without any luxuries, you can opt for the free lodging facility inside the temple complex. They also give free lunch and dinner.
- Bhadra River. It's about 4 km on the way to Kalasa.
- Kalaseshwara Temple. 8 km in Kalasa
- Sri Adhishakthyathmaka Annapoorneshwari Temple (Horanadu Temple), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. This is the main deity of Horanadu Temple. The main deity of goddess was put in place by Adi Shankaracharya; the new deity of goddess Annapurneshwari was consecrated in the temple in 1973.
- Sri Udbava Ganapathi Temple. It is about 3 km by road, and 1.5 km by trekking.
- There is dress code to enter inside the temple. Men are supposed to take off their shirt before entering. Even though women don't have any dress code, they are expected to wear either Saree or Salwar Kameez.
- Walk around the streets of Horanadu, it is a breathtakingly beautiful village. The mountains surround the village from all the three sides and you move in slowly in the U-shaped access to the temple. The view around the village is so spectacular that you need several minutes to look around and slowly absorb the beauty in. You can also visit the small waterfalls in the village.
- Trek to Kyathanamakki Hill station and Gaali gudda.
- Visit ancient Jain temples at Balige and Chikkanna Kodige and others around Horanadu.
- Free lunch is given inside the temple from noon to 3pm and free dinner is given from 7PM to 10PM. If you are from the Brahmin caste, announce it first, as Brahmins are given special eating places.
- There are 2–3 small budget restaurants around the temple street.
- Punarpuli/Kokam Juice is famous in Horanadu.
- Free accommodation is available on the left side of the temple. The temple run hostel is called "Baktha Nivasa" & "Sri Annapoorna Sadhana". Rooms are provide on the first-come, first-served basis. No prior booking is taken. Preference will be given to the families. If rooms are not available arrangements for sleeping will be made in the temple premises.
There are few homestays available around Horanadu. Apart from that there are many lodges in Horanadu, which offers good rooms.
By B.S.N.L. (Cellone) mobile service provider.
Go next Edit
- Dharmastala — Dharmastala Manjunatha Temple is about 96 km
- Kudremukh National Park — about 28 km away
- Shringeri — Hindu holy place is about 70 km.
- Dakshina Kannada
- Bhadra Tiger Reserve