Karkala is a small town about 60 km from Mangalore. It was a major center for Jainism during the Maurya and Vijaynagar empire and still holds remains of the architecture of that period in the form of Chaturmukha Baskadi and Bahubali statue. The lake Rama Samudra graces the town amid these architectural marvels and large black rocks add to the beauty of this piece of land, hence the Sanskrit name Karkala. It is part of the Tulu Nadu region and has several Hindu temples. St. Lawrence's Church in Attur is also a popular tourist destination.
Get in Edit
- Gomateshwara statue situated on top of a hill Gomata-betta, it is 44 feet tall-second only to that in Shravanabelgola. Archeological society of India has estimated its time somewhere in 14th century A.D.
- The Venkataramana temple is famous for the "Lakshadepostava" and the "Maharathotsava" that is conducted annually. The idols of Lord Venkateshwara are marvelous pieces of art. It has a small link with the famous temple of Tirupati Balaji. That's why it is known as Paduthirupati too.
- The Veeramaruti temple situated opposite to Sri Venkataramana Temple is famous for single stone 16 feet height Hanuman Statue.
- Ananthashayana temple Another temple worth visiting.The statue of Lord Vishnu in this temple resembles that in Thiruvananthapuram.
- 1 Chathurmukha Basati (it is an old jain temple on a big rock.). this basati is made up of rock an sculptures are most beautiful.
- St Laurence Church is an old Catholic church at Attur, 5 km from Karkala. The pond there is miraculous and the miracle idol of infant Jesus also notable.
- Do visit Ramasamudra lake, Attur Church, Chaturmukh Basadi, Taluk stadium .
- For the best view of Western ghats and Kudremukh Range visit S.K. border point on National Highway 169 via Bajagoly and Mudar.
- Also visit the numerous temples in and around Karkala.
Pickles, jackfruit, coconut oil, sweets and savouries. Also, minor forest produce like dalchin and soapnuts.
Traditional Jain and Konkani food! A meal at Hotel Sagar is a must. The food in Hotel Sagar is good and comparatively inexpensive.