Lyme Regis is an historic unspoiled seaside resort and fishing port on the world famous Cobb harbour. Surrounded by beautiful coastlines and countryside, the area has now been awarded World Heritage Site Status; famous for its geology and fossil finds.
The town is famous for "The Cobb", a large harbour wall, that has featured in novels by Jane Austen (who was a frequent visitor to Lyme Regis). The Cobb was used as a setting for Persuasion, a film of Jane Austen's novel. The Cobb was also used in the film The French Lieutenant's Woman, starring Meryl Streep, based on the book of the same name by local writer John Fowles.
Lyme Regis was also the location for the film Ammonite, based on the life of local 19th-century pioneer fossil-hunter Mary Anning, starring Kate Winslet and Saoirse Ronan, and due for UK release on 13 November 2020.
The nearest train station is Axminster, which is on the route from London Waterloo to Exeter. Lyme Regis is on bus service routes X51, Axminster-Dorchester, and X53, Axminster-Weymouth, both of which run from Axminster station.
In addition to the X51 and X53, services include the 9A Seaton to Lyme Regis
- Charmouth Road Long Stay Car Park, Charmouth Road, DT7 3DR. has Toilets, Motorhome spaces and steps down to the sea front.
- Holmbush Car Park, Charmouth Road, DT7 3DR. Has no height barriers.
- Monmouth Beach Car Park, DT7 3JN. Has no height barriers but tends to be unsuitable for large vehicles. http://www.lymeregistowncouncil.gov.uk/our-town/services/car-parking
One very good way to get around is to walk. Lyme Regis is on the South West Coast path and there are many circular routes from and around Lyme Regis - the area is very steep in places.
Damory Coaches operate a town bus service.
- 1 The Cobb. A large harbour wall, that has featured in novels by Jane Austen (who lived for a time in Lyme Regis) and in the film The French Lieutenant's Woman, based on the book of the same name by local writer John Fowles.
- 2 The Town Mill, Mill Lane, DT7 3PU, ☏ . Daily 11AM-4PM, subject to volunteer availability; galleries daily 10:30AM-4:30PM. A fully working watermill, restored and re-opened in 2001; tours available. The site is also occupied by galleries, craft workshops, cafe and micro-brewery. Email via contact form on the website.
- 3 Lyme Regis Museum, Bridge Street, DT7 3QA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Built on the site of Mary Anning’s home. Includes collections of fossils, maritime and domestic objects, paintings, prints and photographs. The town’s literary connections, from Jane Austen and John Fowles to Tracy Chevalier, are illustrated in the Writers’ Gallery.
- 4 Dinosaurland Fossil Museum, Coombe Street, DT7 3PY, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 10AM-5PM from February half term to end of October half term. Winter opening hours vary - please check before visiting.. A traditional museum, with more than 12,000 specimens on permanent display. £5 adults; £4 children 5 to 16; under 5s free; family ticket (2 adults + 2 children) £16.
- Fossil hunting. in front of the cliffs by the beach. There are lots of fossilised ammonites in the sediment layers in the cliffs, and as weathering occurs, the cliffs are eroded and the fossils are left on the beach. The best time to go hunting is in Spring, when the winter's storms have exposed many fossils. Most are small, some are the size of your palm, and one or two are surprisingly large--up to a metre in diameter!
- Crazy Golf (in Langmoor Gardens overlooking the Promenade.).
- Relax on the Beach where you get fantastic views of England's first natural World Heritage Site - the Jurassic Coast.
- 1 Marine Theatre, Church St, DT7 3QA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Varied programme of theatre, music, comedy, films and other events. For booking information, check the website.
- Lyme Lunge: 1 January 2021, ✉ email@example.com. A fancy dress dip for charity on New Year's Day in the balmy waters of Lyme Bay off the Sandy Beach, Lyme Regis. Join 400-plus swimmers and start the year with a whole lot of fun.
- Jazz Jurassica: 28–31 May 2021. Community-based music festival featuring jazz, blues, soul and funk.
- Lyme Regis Lifeboat Week: tbc July 2021. Events and activities throughout the week for everyone. (date needs fixing)
- Lyme Regis Regatta and Carnival Week: 7–14 August 2021. Over 60 events throughout the week for the whole family raising money for local good causes.
- Lyme Folk Weekend: 27–30 August 2021. A folk music festival.
Fish on the Cobb.
Crab fishing equipment for fishing off the Cobb.
Local seafood specialities include Lyme Bay crab, which is available at any fishmonger in the wider region, and is on the menu at several local restaurants as a starter or the centrepiece of a crab salad.
- 1 Tierra Kitchen, 1a Coombe Street, DT7 3PY, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa 11AM-2PM. Fresh, 100% homemade vegetarian and vegan food to eat in or take away, with a strong Mediterranean influence using the best local, seasonal and organic produce in West Dorset and East Devon. Deli also stocks organic vegetables, a large range of vegetarian wholefoods and hard-to-find ingredients.
- 2 Town Mill Bakery, Coombe Street, DT7 3PY, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Th - Mo, 9:00AM-2:00PM. Artisan bakery cafe. Open for breakfast, brunch and lunch.
- 3 Italia, 14-15 Monmouth Street, DT7 3PX, ☏ . Daily noon-9:00PM. Family-friendly Italian restaurant. Takeaways also available. Email via contact page on website.
- There are also a few fish and chip shops, and a wide choice of pubs serving food.
- 1 The Cobb Arms, Marine Parade, ☏ . Next to the harbour, three nice and clean rooms, modern bathroom double £60..
- 2 Springfield House, Woodmead Road, DT7 3LJ, ☏ . Large elegant Georgian House with stunning views of the sea and Dorset coastline. Private car park. £33-38.
- 3 Royal Lion Hotel, Broad Street, ☏ . 17th-century coaching inn
- 4 Mariners Hotel, Silver St, ☏ .
- 5 Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, Pound Street, Lyme Regis DT7 3HZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Built 1735 and a hotel since 1901, set in lush private gardens overlooking the Cobb and Lyme Bay. Open Feb-Dec. B&B double £180.
- 6 Dorset House, Pound Rd, Lyme Regis DT17 3HX, ☏ . Charming B&B in Regency building. No dogs. B&B double £100.