Lynton and Lynmouth are twin towns in Devon.
Get in edit
Lynton and Lynmouth can be reached by car on the A39.
By bus edit
The Exmoor Coaster open top double deaker bus runs from Minehead, Porlock and Watchet along the A39 with magnificent coastal views. Buses also run from nearby towns such as Barnstaple. Public transport timetable information for the area.
Get around edit
There is an interesting cliff railway between the two towns.
- 1 Watersmeet. a river valley created by the East Lyn River converging with its tributaries. Tree-covered and quiet, it is owned by the National Trust, who run a tea-shop in the valley's heart. It does get busy during the summer, as many come to enjoy the cool air the valley provides!
- 2 Lyn and Exmoor Museum, Market St. Easter - Oct: Tu-Th Sa 10:30AM-1:30PM, 2PM-5PM. A museum with seven rooms of agricultural and local history. £2.
- 3 Lynmouth Flood Memorial Hall. A small exhibition about the devastating flood which hit Lynmouth in 1952. free.
- 1 Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway. Feb 11-Nov 10 10AM-4PM - most of the time, it is open until as late as 8PM - check the website. A water-powered funicular railway which rises 500ft with a 57% gradient. The railway opened in 1890. The top station has a cafe. Adult/child single £2.90/1.80, return £3.90/2.40, pass for 1 week £20/10.
- 2 Valley of the Rocks (0.6 mile west of Lynton). A dry valley noted for its geology and feral goats, which was visited by Wordsworth and Coleridge in 1797.
- 3South West Coast Path. A 600 mi (970 km) walk which passes through Lynmouth.
Lynmouth & Lynton have several good pubs, such as the Rock House, but the best pub is found on a short two minute drive, up Countisbury Hill and into Countisbury, which has been renamed "The Blue Ball Inn". To get to the pub though, you must drive down steep cliff roads, so the route isn't best recommended for inexperienced or nervous drivers.
Lynmouth also has two excellent chip shops, the best being the Esplanade, located on the seafront. In Lynton there are small cafés and teahouses dotted around, and an Indian restaurant.
- 1 Chough's Nest Hotel, North Walk, Lynton, EX35 6HJ, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. From £94 B&B.
- 2 Old Rectory Hotel, Berry's Ground Lane, Martinhoe EX31 4QT, ☏ . Smart upscale hotel in Georgian rectory, great dining. Open Mar-Oct, no children under 14 or dogs. B&B double £200.
- 3 Heddon's Gate Hotel, off King's Lane, Martinhoe EX31 4PZ, ☏ . Secluded welcoming B&B in bosky hills west of Lynton. Open mid-Mar to mid-Nov. B&B double £100.
- 4 Rockford Inn, Church Hill, Lynton EX35 6PT, ☏ . Dog-friendly country inn with meals and rooms. B&B double £80.
As of Sept 2023, these villages and their approach roads have 4G from EE and Vodafone, but no signal from O2 or Three. 5G has not reached this area.
Go next edit
- Valley of the Rocks
- Woody Bay
- Lee Bay
|Routes through Lynton and Lynmouth|
|Bideford ← Barnstaple ←||SW E||→ Minehead → Bridgwater|