Malappuram was the former headquarters of Malabar Special Police of the British government. It is a remarkably beautiful town because it is perched atop a mountain.
Autorikshaws are cheap but the newly introduced Mini Buses are even cheaper. Taxis are also available for a more comfortable journey.
- 1 Anakkadavu Bridge. (Ummattur-Anakkadavu Bridge) (1 km). Beautiful views of the Kadalundi River
- Anakkayam (8 km). Cashew Research and Development Center
- Arya Vaidya Shala, Kottakkal (12 km). World famous Herbal Medicine Center. very expensive.
- Cantonment Hill, Uphill (3 km). HQ of MSP. Beautiful views from MSP school area.
- Collectorate Hill, Uphill (1 km). Beautiful valley views from the back of the government buildings.
- Down Hill (1 km). Trading Station
- Jamat Mosque (Malappuram-Venkara Road). Modelled after temple, this 280 years old Mosque has blue doors and snow-white walls to give it a distinction it rightly deserves. It was built under the directions of the Hindu Prana Nambi family. The mighty family had once usurped the properties of Muslims by sheer muscle power. The tears of many affected Muslims had an adverse effect on the Nambi family, resulting in incurable illness to them. To get rid of the trauma they were advised to build a Mosque as repentance. The Malappuram Jamat Mosque is the result of it.
- Kottakkunnu Hill Garden, Uphill (0.2 km). Open air auditorium, Art gallery, Helipad and Water Theme Park.
- Malappuram Walk. The Perinthalmanna Road is an ideal walkway with beautiful colonial buildings on either side. Ask for the MSP office. Choose the early morning time as heavy traffic can spoil the fun.
- Masjidh Rahman, Cantonment Hill (1 km). Beautiful view of the valley
- 2 Melmuri (5 km). Scenic Shiva Temple at Podiyatt inside a paddy field, Sylvan Alathur Padi Juma Masjidh at Melmuri.
- Mini Ooty Hills, Arimbra, Mongam (20 km). Views from 1,000 ft above the sea level
- 3 Panakkad (6 km). Pilgrim village
- Pazhayangadi Mosque (5-km from Karipur Airport). The Mughal style architectured Mosque has a lovely white dome and intricate filigree work. Amidst the coconut palms in the distance, the Mosque looks highly attractive. I;t is an 18th-century creation. The annual festival called Valia Nercha (big offering) is immensely popular near and far.
- 4 St. Joseph Forana Church (St. Joseph Church), Opp. KSRTC Bus Station, Uphill, Malappuram..
- 5 Shanthi Theeram (1 km). Riverside park made by the government. Rain huts and amphitheater.
- Shiva Temple, Makkaraparamba (4 km on Perinthalmanna Road).
- Sri Rama Swamy Temple, Ramapuram on Perinthalmanna Road (5 km).
- War Memorial. 1921, Pookkootoor gate, Aravangara (10 km).
- Koottilangadi Bridge walk, Koottilangady, Perinthalmanna Road (2 km).
- Paddy field walk, Makkara Paramba (3 km). Take a bus to Makkara Paramba, start walking behind the telephone exchange. Enjoy the expanse of paddy fields, banana plantations and coconut farms. You can walk for hours and hours on end .
- Trekking @ Pookkoottoor (10 km). Thada Paramba hills and Ilyam Paramba hills.
- Edumart, Opp. KSRTC bus station, uphill (0.5 km). for books, toys, gifts, CDs and sports goods.
- Delicia, Muncipal Busstand, Downhill.
- Pizza Land, Kizhakkethala (2 km).
- Raydan Restaurant, Near M.B. Hospital, Kizhakke thala, on Calicut Road.
- Rice n Fish, Highway Valyamkulam.
- Thandoori Hut, near Bank of India, Kizhakke Thala on Calicut road (2 km).
- A. M. Tourist Home, Uphill. ₹200.
- Grace Reidency, Down Hill (1 km), ☏ .
- Hill Fort Hotel, Near KSRTC. ₹500.
- Maliyekkal Tourist Home, Uphill. ₹400
- Plaza Residency, Uphill, Malappuram.
- PWD Rest House, Kavungal (2 km). Government property. So you can expect a lot of space for a small rent. The service can be a little indifferent.
- Souparnika Inn, Punnathala. ₹1,000.
- Swagath Inn, Valanchery. ₹1,000.
- Kondotty, mosques, dargahs and major airport, 22 km
- Kozhikode, major beach city with museums and mosques, 53 km
- Malampuzha dam and gardens, theme parks, 90 km
- Mysore, major garden city with many palaces, 214 km
- Ooty, major hill station with fine hotels and resorts, 135 km.
- Palakkad city with fort and fine restaurants, 78 km
- Ramanattukara, riverside resorts and temples, 35 km
- Silent Valley National Park, guided tour into the forest, 56 km