Tennoji (大阪 天王寺) is a city district of Osaka.
The fastest trains between Kansai Int'l Airport and Tennoji station are "Ltd.Express Haruka" which operates by JR West. The journey takes approximately 32 minutes at a cost of ¥1760: ¥1030 regular fare + ¥730 limited express fare.
- 1 Tsūtenkaku (通天閣). While the original tower was built early 20th century, the current "newer" version is designed by the same Prof. Naitō, who also designed Tokyo Tower. This landmark built in the middle of the Shinsekai (新世界) area is a symbol of reconstruction of the City of Osaka post World War II. There's a "Sky Billiken" on the platform, definitely makes your wishes come true, once you rub his feet! And if you are lucky, your guide will have another job as a comedian! Trip to the top ¥600, outside platform with guide and safety belt extra ¥1400.
- 2 Shitennōji Temple (四天王寺), 1-1-18 Shitennōji Tennōji-ku (5 min walk from Shitennōji-mae-Yuhiga-oka subway stop, or 15 min by walk north from Tennōji Station). The temple was built by Emperor Suiko in 593 AD. Although the current buildings are mostly post World WarII reconstructions, the temple is a rare sample which conveys the continental style (notably the positioning of the individual buildings inside the complex) of 6th-7th century to present.
- Abeno Harukas Tower (At Tennoji/Tennojiekimae/Osaka-Abenobashi Station). Being Osaka's tallest building, this tower features malls, restaurants, shops and offices. Most interesting for tourists is probably the Abeno Harukas Art Museum (changing exhibitions, around ¥1300) and the observation deck Harukas 300 on 60th floor in 300 m height (¥1350). If you want to get a good view of the city for free, take elevators and escalators to 17F, then change into one of the business elevators to 30F. There are large glass windows on all sides of the building offering views onto all of Osaka for free!
- Osaka Municipal Tennoji Sports Center (大阪市立天王寺スポーツセンター), 5-109 Sanadayama Tennoji-ku (10 minutes walk from JR Tamatsukuri station). Tu-Su 09:00-21:00. Heated swimming pool & exercise room. Admission: ¥700 pool, ¥600 training, ¥1000 pool & training.
- Jan-Jan Yokocho Street. Jan-Jan Yokocho is a famous shopping street along a narrow lane. There are still many establishments running in the same shops they built immediately after World War II. The entire area is squashed with small, cheap eating houses.
- [dead link] Business Hotel Chuo (ビジネスホテル中央), 1-1-12 Taishi Nishinari-ku (1 minute walk from Subuway Dobutsuenmae station, 3 minutes walk from JR Shin-Imamiya station), ☏ . Western and Japanese style rooms available. Rooms are simple, but clean. Traditional Japanese bath with communal showers and hot pool open to men and women during separate opening times in the morning and evening. Three additional private showers are available 24 hr. Showers and bath are on the ground floor. Wireless internet in rooms plus three internet connected computers in the lobby. Free tea and coffee in the mornings. No communal kitchen, but microwave and boiling water available in lobby. No curfew. Singles ¥2600-¥3200, twins ¥5200-¥7000..
- Hotel Chuo OASIS (ホテル中央オアシス), 1-9-15 Taishi Nishinari-ku (1 minute walk from Subway Dobutsuenmae station, 3 minutes walk from JR Shin-Imamiya station), ☏ . Single ¥3300, twin ¥6000.
- Hotel Chuo Selene (ホテル中央セレーネ), 1-1-11 Taishi Nishinari-ku (1 minute walk from Subway Dobutsuenmae station, 3 minutes walk from JR Shin-Imamiya station), ☏ . Dormitory ¥2000-2300, single ¥3300-3800, twin ¥6000-7000.
- Hotel Raizan North (ホテル来山北館), 1-3-3 Taishi Nishinari-ku (1 minute walk from Subway Dobutsuenmae station, 3 minutes walk from JR Shin-Imamiya station), ☏ . Single ¥2100.
- Hotel Raizan South (ホテル来山南館), 1-3-3 Taishi Nishinari-ku (1 minute walk from Subway Dobutsuenmae station, 3 minutes walk from JR Shin-Imamiya station), ☏ . Single ¥2100, twin ¥4200.
- Hotel Mikado (ホテルミカド), 1-2-11 Taishi Nishinari-ku (1 minute walk from Subway Dobutsuenmae station, 3 minutes walk from JR Shin-Imamiya station), ☏ . Free use internet and kitchen. AC single ¥2400, twin ¥4400.
- Ave Tennoji Hotel (アーベイ天王寺ホテル), Hidenincho.
- Hotel 1-2-3 Tennoji, 2-3-14, Terada-cho, Tennoji-ku (access is from JR Osaka Loop Line, Terada Station (North Exit) 3 min on foot), ☏ , fax: . All rates inclusive of tax and free breakfast. Also has another Osaka branch called Hotel 1-2-3 Senba within walking distance to Shinsaibashi subway station at a higher rate. Single ¥5,145, twin ¥6,195 per room.
- Hotel Toyo (ホテル東洋), 1-3-5 Taishi Nishinari-ku. Some Japanese people seem to use this place as a de facto apartment, which is a testament to the low price and convenience of the hotel. Each room contains a futon, a fan/heater or AC, and TV. There is a shower room on the first floor, or you can use the public bath of the neighboring Hotel Taiyo for free. Internet is available in the small lounge for free, and free WiFi is available on every floor. Single without AC ¥1500, with AC ¥1700; ¥1000 discount for reservation 10 days in advance or more.
- Hotel Taiyo (ビジネスホテル大洋), 23-2-1 Taishi Nishinari-ku (in front of Dobustuen-mae JR subway entrance), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Free internet available in the lobby and nice rooms with a clean futon, TV, & fridge. Friendly staff at reception with minimal English and beer vending machine. Communal toilets and washroom with bath, sometimes can see Yakuza members in the washroom with their irizumi (tattoos)! Singles ¥2100, twins ¥3100.
- Sheraton Miyako Hotel Osaka, 6-1-15 Uehonmachi. Rooms from ¥11,000 twin.
|Routes through Tennoji|
|JR Nanba ←||W E||→ Yao → Horyuji → Nara|
|Osaka Nanba ←||W E||→ Tsuruhashi → Ikoma → Kintetsu Nara|
|END ←||N S||→ Sumiyoshi → Goryō mae|
|Umeda ← Nanba ←||N S||→ Abiko → Nakamozu|
|Higashi Umeda ← Tanimachi 4-chome ←||N E||→ Hirano → Yao Minami|
|Nodahanshin ← Nanba ←||W E||→ Minami Tatsumi|
|into ←||W E||→ Hirano → Matsubara|
|Shinbashi ←||W E||→ Higashi Osaka → Ikoma → Nara|