All manner of shops and entertainment can be found in the Minami Area, which stretches from Semba (Honmachi) to the area surrounding Namba station. In Minami, locals and tourists alike can enjoy the city atmosphere of Osaka.
There are three main train stations in this area: Namba Station, JR-Namba station and Osaka-Namba Station. The three train stations are close to each other.
The fastest trains between Kasai International Airport and Osaka station are "Ltd.Express Rapi:t" which operates by Namkai Railway. The journey takes approximately 34 minutes at a cost of ¥1390: ¥890 regular fare + ¥500 limited express fare.
- Nankai - Offers services to the following cities: Sakai, Kansai International Airport, Wakayama, and Mount Koya.
- Subway [dead link] - From Shin-Osaka station and Umeda(Osaka) stations, you can connect to the city center by using the Midosuji subway line.
- Kintetsu - Offers services to the following cities: Nara, Ise, Shima, Yokkaichi and Nagoya.
- Hanshin - Offers services to the following cities: Amagasaki, Ashiya, Nishinomiya, and Sannomiya(Kobe).
- Namba Highway Busterminal
- Ticket office window: 09:00 - 20:00
- Nankai Bus
- Kintetsu Bus (Japanese Website)
- Ticket office window: 07:30 - 22:00
- Tohoku - Yamagata, Sendai, Fukushima, Koriyama, Iwaki
- Kanto - Tokyo, Shinjuku, Hachioji, Yokohama, Odawara, Kawagoe, Kumagaya, Kuki, Mito, Tsukuba, Tsuchiura Utsunomiya, Tochigi,
- Chubu - Obama, Takayama, Gujo-Hachiman, Kofu, Numazu, Mishima, Shizuoka, Gotemba, Fujionomiya, Fuji, Ueda, Karuizawa
- Chugoku - Fukuyama, Onomichi, Fuchu, Tokuyama, Yamaguchi, Hagi
- Shikoku - Aki, Nahari, Nakamura, Sukumo
- Kyushu - Nagasaki, Oita, Beppu, Kagoshima
- Nankai Bus (Japanese Website)
- Nihon Kotsu Bus (Japanese Website)
- 1 Kamigata Ukiyoe Museum, 1 Chome-6-4 Nanba, ☏ . Tu-Su 11:00-18:00. (上方浮世絵館) A rather small museum in Nanba dedicated to ukiyoe, Japanese woodblock prints. The interior of the museum looks a bit like an adobe house. It may be most interesting to someone already familiar with the art, as the information inside mostly Japanese only. ¥500.
- 1 Sumo Spring Grand Tournament (大相撲春場所) (Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium, a 10 minute walk from the Namba subway stop.). The Osaka Tournament of Japan's national sport, sumo wrestling, is usually held mid-March annually at Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium. Check for schedules and ticket availabilities at the official Nihon Sumo Kyokai homepage. ¥3000-¥14,300.
- 2 National Bunraku Theater, 1-12-１０ Nipponbashi (Nippombashi.). One of the last places in the world where bunraku, a form of intricate puppet theater from the Edo period, can be seen live. The large puppets, which require three operators each, are accompanied by traditional music and narration, and act out great Japanese plays of the 1600s and 1700s. Transcripts in Japanese and synopses in English are provided.
- 3 ROR Comedy, 2−16−13 Nishi-Shinsaibashi,Chuo (near Namba station Yotsubashi line and Mido-suji line, also Horie and Doutonbori), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. English-language stand up comedy playhouse.
Osaka's most famous shopping district is Shinsaibashi (心斎橋), which offers a mix of huge department stores, high-end Western designer stores, and independent boutiques ranging from very cheap to very expensive. Within Shinsaibashi, the Amerika-mura (アメリカ村, often shortened to "Amemura") or "American Village" area is particularly popular among young people, and is often said to be the source of most youth fashion trends in Japan. Near Amerika-mura,Horie (堀江) is shopping street of mainly Japanese brands shops. The many shops in Umeda are also popular among trendy locals, particularly in the Hep Five and Hep Navio buildings adjacent to Hankyu Umeda Station, although these shops tend to be too expensive to captivate most tourists' interest. In this area, new shopping buildings have been constructed recently. For example, the“E-ma” buildings next to Hanshin department store, and “Nu-Chayamachi” (Nu 茶屋町), opened in October 2005 near Hankyu Umeda station.
For electronics, the Nipponbashi (日本橋) area southeast of Namba, and particularly the "Den-Den Town" shopping street, was once regarded as the Akihabara of western Japan; nowadays, more people would rather shop at the new, enormous Yodobashi Camera (ヨドバシカメラ) in Umeda or BicCamera (ビックカメラ) and LABI1 in Namba, although Nipponbashi still offers good deals on many gadgets, PC components and used/new industrial electronics.
- Tamago-yaki stand, Amerika-mura (next to Asahiplaza Capsule Hotel). Best for a snack, this outdoor stall offers a hard-to-find and delicious treat called tamago-yaki, fried egg atop a wide flat sembei cracker with sauce and a variety of toppings available. Much tastier than it sounds.
- Tsuruhashi Fūgetsu (鶴橋風月), Hankyu Grand Building 29F (Next to Hankyu Umeda Station.). Good okonomiyaki and yakisoba, with extra toppings (egg, cheese, etc.). The restaurant overlooks Umeda. There's an English menu. ¥700-800.
- Tako Tako King (In the Shinsaibashi area, on the north side of the Dotonbori River and west of Midosuji.). This takoyaki place has very friendly staff. Look for the big red octopus wearing a crown.
- En (Namba) (えん難波店), 大阪市中央区難波千日前 12-30 難波長和ビル4F (the En sign 'えん' is visible from the big crossing in front of the Takashimaya department store in Namba; the elevator to En is on the right as you enter the shopping street), ☏ . The Namba branch of the excellent En izakaya (see above).
- Torikizoku (鳥貴族). 17:00 or 18:00 to late. Torikizoku is the most popular yakitori chain in Kansai, and can be found near most major stations in Osaka. The food is delicious, comes in generous serves and is very cheap. It's very popular with both locals and expats, and is always busy. Try to come before 7:30 to secure seats. All food/drink ¥300 each.
- Harijyu (はり重), 1-9-17 Dōtonbori, Chuō-ku, ☏ . W-M 11:30-21:30. Shabu-shabu or sukiyaki in Japanese tatami rooms. No reservations are taken except for large groups, so arrive early at nights (18:00 or so) to be sure you get a room without waiting. ¥6300 and up.
- Kani Dōraku (かに道楽), 1-6-18 Dōtonbori, Chuō-ku. Now a nationwide chain, but this is the original. Easily identifiable by the giant mechanical crab waving its pincers about, and as you might guess, the speciality here is crab. Set meal ¥4000-5000.
- Bar Kama Sutra (East Shinsaibashi 東心斎橋, a few meters from Cinque Cento on 5F of Jumbo Bldg), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 21:00-morning daily. Small cozy karaoke bar is almost impossible to find but well worth the effort. Foreign and English-speaking Japanese staff, and over 130,000 songs to choose from. The owner, Richard, is a long term resident of Japan and is a wealth of information on what to do and see in the area, where to stay and even where to find work. (No "u" in e-mail address is correct, or: email@example.com.) No cover, ¥600 drinks.
- Blarney Stone, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This pair of Irish pubs have a laid-back atmosphere, friendly staff, and a decent happy hour.
- Blarney Stone Shinsaibashi, Chuo-ku, Higashi Shinsaibashi 2-5-27, Kohda Bldg. B1, ☏ .
- Hub. This British pub chain is at many locations around Osaka, including along Midosuji street in Shinsaibashi, in Namba, and in Chayamachi (Umeda, east side of Hankyu station and walk north a little). Hub serves as a meeting place for many expats as well as Japanese locals. Get there early for happy hour discounts on cocktails (17:00-19:00).
- Physique Pride, 8-23 Sanyo-Kaikan 1-F Doyama-cho, ☏ . One of Osaka's most popular gay and lesbian bars among foreigners.
- Try Amemura area - There you will find all kind of bars with different genre from hip-hop to reggae.
- Club Life, Gold Center Building B1F 2-8-12 Higashi Shinsaibashi, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Great place to listen to Hip Hop, R&B, Reggae and all black music. Beside playing the latest music, you can also listening the old school classics. Enjoy a wide range of drinks to get you in the party mood or help you relax.
- Clube Joule, 2-11-30 Nishi-shinsaibashi (next to Sankaku (Triangle) Park in America Mura). Packed with trance lovers.
- Club Pure, Chuo-ku, Soemon-cho 2-3-12 Diamond Bldg B1F, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 22:00-05:00. Extremely crowded dance club. The crowd is around 25-30% international. Be sure to bring your passport, as the ID check here is atypically rigorous. The closest subway station is Namba Station, which is about 5-10 min walk. No dancing is allowed in the club. Cover ¥4000 men, ¥2500 women; includes unlimited drinks but don't lose your cup.
- Sam and Dave Shinsaibashi, 1-3-29 4F Shinsaibashi, Chuo-ku, ☏ .
- Try Amemura area - There you will find all kind of bars with different genre from hip-hop to reggae.
The usual suspects tend to be within a 5-10 minute walk north to north-west of JR Namba (a few blocks past the love hotel district). The big advantage here is that this district is also roughly a 10-minute stroll from Dotonbori. Thus, for the light traveller, a cost effective way to stay in a nice hotel is to simply enjoy the food and atmosphere along the canal until midnight, then take advantage of the various after midnight check-in discounts (typically about 30% off the regular night rate). For example the Tokoyo Inn reduces its single room prices from ~¥6500 to a clean ¥4500, and the Dormy Inn from a regular ¥7000 fee down to ¥4900.
- [dead link] Guest House Koma, 2-3-12 Saiwai-cho, Naniwa-ku (one station away (walking distance) from the central Namba area), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Staff are very knowledgeable and helpful, though the common area can get cold. Has female-only dorms. Dormitory ¥2500, private rooms available.
- Guest House U-en (由苑), 1-5-8 Uemachi, Chuo-ku (Walking distance from Osaka Castle.). The ground floor of this building was once a printing factory, and the upper level was a family home. The guest house has a traditional atmosphere. Dormitory ¥2300-2500, private rooms ¥5500-6500.
- 1 Asahiplaza Shinsaibashi, 2-12-22 Nishi-shinsaibashi, Chuo-ku (at Amerikamura), ☏ , fax: . Sauna available, and there is a separate area for women. ¥2800, ¥3100 with dinner.
- 2 B&S Eco-Cube Shinsaibashi, 2-9-4 Nshi-Shinsaibashi, Chuo-ku (at Amerikamura), ☏ . Sauna available, and there is a separate area for women. ¥1,480 - 5,800.
- Azu-Garden Nippombashi (アズガーデン日本橋), 1-6 Soemon-cho, Chuo-ku (Subway Exit #2 of Nippombashi Subway along the Sennichimae line, one stop from Namba station), ☏ , fax: . Online reservation site in English here but you may or may not get a response. If no response, try an online booking agent. Single ¥4,200, double ¥9030, twin ¥9,030 per apartment. All rates inclusive of taxes.
- Kaneyoshi Ryokan (かねよし旅館), 3-12 Soemon-cho, Chuo-ku (Subway Exit #2 of Nippombashi Subway along the Sennichimae line, 1 stop from Namba station), ☏ , fax: . This comfortable, modern ryokan is in the heart of downtown on the riverside of Dotombori and very close to the Osaka shopping quarter. English website has an online reservation system.
- Weekly Green in Namba (ウィークリーグリーンINナンバ へ ようこそ), 2-7-23 Shikitsu-Nishi Naniwa-Ku (Subway Exit #2 of Daikokucho Station on the Midosuji line, one stop from Namba station), ☏ , fax: . English website has an online reservation system. It claims to have English-speaking staff on its website so you may attempt an online reservation. If no response, try an online booking agent. Each apartment equipped with in-suite shower and toilet, kitchenette, fridge, portable cooking stove, A/C, TV and telephone. Single ¥4200, twin ¥9450, triple ¥14490, quad ¥18900 per apartment. All rates inclusive of service charge & consumption tax.
- Comfort Inn Shinsaibashi, 1-15, Higashi-Shinsaibashi, Chuo-ku (10-min walk from Shinsaibashi station on the Midosuji subway line), ☏ , fax: . 2 blocks east of Shinsaibashi's central covered shopping arcade, this hotel is a little better than the average business hotel, with clean rooms, English-speaking staff, and a free, generous breakfast buffet. Singles start at ¥6500.
- Il Cuore, 1-15-15, Namba-Naka, Naniwa-ku (less than 5 minutes walk from Namba or Kintetsu-Namba stations), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a slightly nicer business hotel with larger than average rooms. The hotel provides English language instructions for laundry machines and other hotel services. Breakfast an additional ¥ 1,000. Single ¥9,000 with a double bed for one or two guests.
- Yamatoya Honten (大和屋本店), 2-17-4 Shimanouchi Chuo-ku (3 minutes walk from exit #6 at Subway Kintetsu Nipponbashi), ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 10:00. A Japanese-style hotel located in Dotonbori. There are staffs who can speak English. 4,725 yen -.
- Best Western Hotel Fino Osaka Shinsaibashi, 1-2-19 Shinsaibashi Chuo-Ku, Osaka, 542 0083 (1-minute walk from Exit 5A at Nagahoribashi Station), ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 10:00. About 5 minutes walking distance from the Shinsaibashi shopping area. Some staff speak good English. The rooms are very small, but very clean.
- Hotel Nikko Osaka, 1-3-3, Nishi-Shinsaibashi, Chuo-ku, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 10:00. Huge Landmark Hotel smack in the middle of Shinsaibashi along tree lined Mido-suji Avenue. Rooms are comfortable and have amazing views at night as hotel is the tallest building in the immediate area. Attached to Shinsaibashi train station and close to Amerika-mura, shopping, and night-life.
- Hotel New Otani Osaka, 1-4-1 Shiromi, Chuo-ku, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A luxury business hotel in Osaka, Japan offering accommodations, 13 restaurants and bars, vacation packages and meeting rooms. This five-star hotel is in the Osaka Business Park near Osaka Castle.
- Swissôtel Nankai, 5-1-60, Namba,Chuo-ku, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Next to Namba train and bus stations.
- Osaka Visitors Information Center - Namba, 3F Nankai Terminal Bldg. 1F 5-1-60 Namba Cnuo-ku (a short walk from Exit 24 at Namba Station), ☏ . 09:00-20:00, closed Jan 31-Mar 3. Tourist information is offered in English and Japanese.
|Routes through Minami|
|END ←||W E||→ Tennoji → Horyuji → Nara|
|END ←||N S||→ Kansai International Airport → Wakayamashi|
|END ←||W E||→ Sakai Higashi → Kawachi Nagano → Gokurakubashi|
|Motomachi ← Koshien ← Amagasaki ←||W E||→ END|
|END ←||W E||→ Uehonmachi → Kintetsu Nara|
|Shin Osaka ← Umeda ←||N S||→ Tennoji → Abiko → Nakamozu|
|Nishi Umeda ←||N S||→ Tamade → Suminoe Park|
|Nodahanshin ←||W E||→ Tsuruhashi → Minamitatsumi|
|Kawaramachi ← into ← Tenjimbashisuji 6-chome ←||N S||→ Dobutsuen-mae|
|Dōjima ←||NW NE||→ Honmachi → Dōjima|